The Student Room Group

Will universities accept a D in maths

I'm applying to university this year for 2017 and for the life of me I just cannot hit the C grade in maths. Will universities still consider me or just bypass me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the course i think but in my experience majority will want a minimum of a C grade, especially the good universities.
Original post by jessicaac
I'm applying to university this year for 2017 and for the life of me I just cannot hit the C grade in maths. Will universities still consider me or just bypass me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends which university you wanted to go and getting D in maths reduces your chance to go in but I would do if I were you, get C in maths
Sorry
Have a good day

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would consider resiting the GCSE as all good unis I know have it in their requirements.
Reply 4
I'm going to resit it for the 7th time but I was just curious if I'd still get any kind of consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

As others have said, it really will depend on what uni's you're applying to and the course you'd be thinking of studying at university :smile:

With something like Psychology; the minimum Maths GCSE grade you'd need is a C - more realistically a B, whereas more humanity based subjects such as English or History, GCSE English 'tends' to be more important.
Reply 6
Ah right so for criminology its probably a necessity. Thanks anyway 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ah right so for criminology its probably a necessity. Thanks anyway 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just had a quick look at a range of universities and even those places which are lower down on the league tables seem to want a C in GCSE Maths; so unfortunately yes, it does look like a necessity.
You still have 1 more year to get a C before you go! Make sure they know you are resitting when you apply. Don't give up. I know people who have passed on their 3rd time. Work really hard and don't have the "I can't do it" attitude.

All the unis I looked at (range from very prestigious to not so much) wanted at least a C.
Reply 9
It literally depends on the university and the course you want to study. For two of my friends who applied to a university, they got rejected because they did not get a C in maths. Some may accept you but be warned as it may be your insurance choice that accepts you and not your firm!
I'm going to resit it for the 7th time but I was just curious if I'd still get any kind of consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got to admire persistence, what are you going to do different to what you did the previous 6 times?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god, im literally in the same boat. I just retook my GCSE math for the third time in may-june time and got my result today and have failed. the stress has been unreal tbh im thinking of retaking the whole of year 12 just so I can pass maths.
Reply 12
F. You retook 7 times?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities accept level 2 functional skills in maths.

Check with each university about their requirements.
Whatever happens, don't give up, you can do it. Resit in November if you can.

I had to retake my GCSE twice and lucky for me the second time i aced it.

However, i know people in the same boat as you.

Having said that, some people do go to university without the grade "C" in maths but that's usually down to the university and the course they are studied, most probably unrelated to maths.
Reply 15
Original post by skeptical_john
Got to admire persistence, what are you going to do different to what you did the previous 6 times?

Thanks and just try and improve in the areas that I'm not so great at🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Fly.RK_
F. You retook 7 times?!

I've taken it 6 times so far😏 will be 7 next exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Blackstarr
Whatever happens, don't give up, you can do it. Resit in November if you can.

I had to retake my GCSE twice and lucky for me the second time i aced it.

However, i know people in the same boat as you.

Having said that, some people do go to university without the grade "C" in maths but that's usually down to the university and the course they are studied, most probably unrelated to maths.

I'm not giving up until I get it🙌🏻
Well done you😁
Thank you I will play it by here and check if I can take it in November

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice would be to not give up and carry on retaking. Make sure your motivated when your revising. Get into a daily habit of constant revision. Do topic by topic. I retook my maths around the same amount of times as you. & today I finally got a C, feel absolutely great that I no longer have to study maths. Although, I got accepted by all 4/5 universities who didn't really mention a grade C on my conditional offer. But it's best off to to retake as when you get a job they will expect you to have passed your Maths & English. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks and just try and improve in the areas that I'm not so great at🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK but I guess you were doing that for the other resits? Were you significantly closer than the previous time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending