The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain the grade boundaries for GCSE Maths?

Just got my GCSE Maths results today, and I didn't really expect to get the grades I did. I worked so hard for this and spent a LOT of money to resit it privately! I received a conditional offer from the University of Manchester, and one of the conditions is to obtain a C in GCSE Maths but I failed do that. :frown: I feel like such a failure now.

I don't understand how the grade boundaries work. I'm on Edexcel (Modular), so there's 3 papers altogether. Thought it would be easier to get a C on the Higher paper but clearly not.
Module 1: Data and Statistics 55/120
Module 2: Number and Algebra 64/120
Module 3: Number and Algebra 81/160

This is my results report
You have obtained the following grades/scores in the recent examinations -
Qualification type: GCSE
Examined In 6/16 Grade/Score D

Qualification type: Unit
Grade/Score Board Subject code and title
55/0120 (e) Edexcel GCSE 5MB1H
64/0120 (d) Edexcel GCSE 5MB2H
81/0160 (d) Edexcel GCSE 5MB3H

I'm SO confused.......can someone please explain this? I would really appreciate your feedback.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sniper91
Just got my GCSE Maths results today, and I didn't really expect to get the grades I did. I worked so hard for this and spent a LOT of money to resit it privately! I received a conditional offer from the University of Manchester, and one of the conditions is to obtain a C in GCSE Maths but I failed do so :frown: I feel like such a failure now.

I don't understand how the grade boundaries work. I'm on Edexcel (Higher), so there's 3 papers altogether. Thought it would be easier to get a C on the Higher paper but clearly not.
Module 1: Data and Statistics 55/120
Module 2: Number and Algebra 64/120
Module 3: Number and Algebra 81/160

This is my results report
You have obtained the following grades/scores in the recent examinations -
Qualification type: GCSE
Examined In 6/16 Grade/Score D

Qualification type: Unit
Grade/Score Board Subject code and title
55/0120 (e) Edexcel GCSE 5MB1H
64/0120 (d) Edexcel GCSE 5MB2H
81/0160 (d) Edexcel GCSE 5MB3H

I'm SO confused.......can someone please explain this? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Sorry to hear that you missed your offer. The results on your results sheet are your UMS marks - the boundaries you've been looking at are the raw mark boundaries.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Sorry to hear that you missed your offer. The results on your results sheet are your UMS marks - the boundaries you've been looking at are the raw mark boundaries.

I didn't get the results I wanted. So my backup plan is resit the maths this year, and then apply for Uni next year. What do you suggest? I'm not getting any younger....
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't get the results I wanted. So my backup plan is resit the maths this year, and then apply for Uni next year. What do you suggest? I'm 22 so not getting any younger....

I think the best plan is to retake Maths and reapply. You could retake in November.

Don't worry about age - it's good to see you're still persevering. I myself am behind the people of my age but it's not had a hindrance on me at all.
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
I think the best plan is to retake Maths and reapply. You could retake in November.

Don't worry about age - it's good to see you're still persevering. I myself am behind the people of my age but it's not had a hindrance on me at all.

Thanks for the advice. I've recently completed an access course in science, and managed to get very good grades. However, I left school with bad GCSEs. I could've done better if only I just applied myself. Can I still get into a top university with these grades?

Maths - Grade D
English Language - Grade C
English Literature - Predicted an A*/Achieved a C
Core Science - Grade D
Additional Science - Grade C
Psychology - Grade C
speak to the admission team at your chosen university and explain to them about your results. Maybe they'll offer a maths equivalency exam for you! Remember that THEY want YOU, they need your money! Its worth asking if they'll let you do a equivalency test at the university/college. x
Thanks for the advice. I've recently completed an access course in science, and managed to get very good grades. However, I left school with bad GCSEs. I could've done better if only I just applied myself. Can I still get into a top university with these grades?

Maths - Grade D
English Language - Grade C
English Literature - Predicted an A*/Achieved a C
Core Science - Grade D
Additional Science - Grade C
Psychology - Grade C

Not a bad set of results !!! All you need to do is resit maths and you should be fine
I did fairly similar to you myself
Maths-B
English language-C
English literature-C
Core science-B
Additional science-C
Business-BB
Geography-C
Religious studies-C
History-C
Ict-C
Reply 7
Thanks for all the replies. I'll ring them up to see if they still have places left. Might be able to secure a place through clearing. If they decide to reject me, well its not the end of the world.
I really, really, really recommend sitting a linear edexcel maths exam, i personally find it easier because all questions end up being the same and there's a smaller variety, and to get a C on a higher paper u needed 70/200 this year

Also ring them up every damn day and show how much it means to you and maybe they'll let you on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
[QUOTE="Thelabtatpast;67209078"]Not a bad set of results !!! All you need to do is resit maths and you should be fine
I did fairly similar to you myself
Maths-B
English language-C
English literature-C
Core science-B
Additional science-C
Business-BB
Geography-C
Religious studies-C
History-C
Ict-C[/QUOTE
The GCSEs you have achieved are respectable, so well done!

Quick Reply

Latest