The Student Room Group

My Alevel Journey [AKA MY PERSONAL BLOG :D]

Six hours ago, I was devastated by my revolting GCSE grades.... But after hours of feeling sorry for myself... I've decided, I'm going to smash my Alevel, UKcat, Bmat etc... so that I can get to a decent university, hopefully. :biggrin:

Bg info (AKA MY SHIAT GRADES):

Mathematicas - A
Chemica (chemistry) - A*
Biologica - B
Physics - B
English language - B - Fudging hated my teacher (she was a *****)
English literature - B - Fudging hated my teacher (she was a *****)
Historica - B - Fudging hated my teacher (she was a *****)
Sociologica - A
Espanol - B

Sorry for the annoying nicknames - I was bored :wink:

But the good thing is that my schoool is the most shiatest school in my area - so that should help me out with my uni application!

My Alevel choices: Chemica, Biologica, Mathematicas, Economicas/phycologicas

Grades that I'm hoping to achieve in the futuro:

AS: Chemica - A, Biologica - A, Mathematicas - A, Economicas - A
ALEVEL: All A's hopefully!
UKCAT: 700 (Hopefully)

Things that I will do to ensure I get the grades:

Can only go on laptop/phone after 9.00pm/during running/gym/revision

Revise ahead of class (so lessons feel like revision sessions)

Go over a variety of subjects not just 1 (this is what ****** me over with my GCSE's)

Spend free lessons revising over notes/ doing practice questions/ homework

Only an hour or 2 of watching anime/tv

Read more

Do more practice questions

Practice grammar and writting for economics

Finish revision early - then do lots of pp

Eat well - no more junk food cuz it maks me feel tired :P

Sleep early

Revise more

Read over notes regularly

Practice teaching the topics to help understand it more.

Practice timing and answer all questions

Thats about it, I will start tomorrow and update you in the night. Oh and if I dont update you that means I havent bothered revising, in that case please spam this thread to motivate me! :wink:

Thank you and good luck to other dedicated students and well done to the amazing students who got their well deserved grades today :biggrin: :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by shohaib712
Six hours ago, I was devastated by my revolting GCSE grades.... But after hours of feeling sorry for myself... I've decided, I'm going to smash my Alevel, UKcat, Bmat etc... so that I can get to a decent university, hopefully. :biggrin:

Mathematicas - A
Chemica (chemistry) - A*
Biologica - B
Physics - B
Sociologica - A
Espanol - B

But the good thing is that my schoool is the most shiatest school in my area - so that should help me out with my uni application!

Go over a variety of subjects not just 1 (this is what ****** me over with my GCSE's)

Read more

Sleep early

Revise more

Thats about it, I will start tomorrow and update you in the night. Oh and if I dont update you that means I havent bothered revising, in that case please spam this thread to motivate me! :wink:

Thank you and good luck to other dedicated students and well done to the amazing students who got their well deserved grades today :biggrin: :colondollar:

Well done with your GCSEs!!!! I was in an almost identical situation last year. I was disappointed with my grades and i tried too hard at AS and got AABC . I strongly advise you to be organized and have 1 full day off studying each week, otherwise you'll burn out too quickly. :tongue:

Mathematicas - A
Chemica (chemistry) - A*
Biologica - B
Physics - B
Sociologica - A
Espanol - B

Read more

Sleep early

Revise more

Good luck! That's a pretty solid set of GCSEs, I'm sure you can achieve your goals with work! :biggrin:
Original post by BR1999
Well done with your GCSEs!!!! I was in an almost identical situation last year. I was disappointed with my grades and i tried too hard at AS and got AABC . I strongly advise you to be organized and have 1 full day off studying each week, otherwise you'll burn out too quickly. :tongue:

Wow amazing grades!!! I'm worried about that too, did you take a day off? I will definetly take a day off because I noticed that I got more stressed out when I didn't during GCSE's. :biggrin:

Any other tips? they're really useful :colone:
Do you think it's wise to do 4 Alevels? I've heard a lot of controversy about it
Original post by _gcx
Good luck! That's a pretty solid set of GCSEs, I'm sure you can achieve your goals with work! :biggrin:

Really?! Thank you!!!!
Reply 5
Wow amazing grades!!! I'm worried about that too, did you take a day off? I will definetly take a day off because I noticed that I got more stressed out when I didn't during GCSE's. :biggrin:

Any other tips? they're really useful :colone:
Do you think it's wise to do 4 Alevels? I've heard a lot of controversy about it

Personally i didn't want to take 4, i was forced by my teacher. The C was in the 4th and my B is getting remarked. I think taking 4 is too much, my friend carried on 5 to A2 god help her :biggrin:. I didn't take a day off, i wish i did because 1 month before my exam i just gave up, i really couldn't bothered studying anymore and you don't want to be in that position, but i am this year :smile:.

Another tip don't waste time making revision cards, and write brief notes and throw away any useless information you learn in class. And remember teachers don't teach everything right, cover your tracks and print out the specifications.
(edited 7 years ago)
OMG thats really motivational, I hope you do really well with your A2's!!!!!!!
I think a good idea is to check examiner reports for economics? IDK why but they are really helpful with essay based exams - its how I got an A in sociology
Original post by BR1999
Personally i didn't want to take 4, i was forced by my teacher. The C was in the 4th and my B is getting remarked. I think taking 4 is too much, my friend carried on 5 to A2 god help her :biggrin:. I didn't take a day off, i wish i did because 1 month before my exam i just gave up, i really couldn't bothered studying anymore and you don't want to be in that position, but i am this year :smile:.

Another tip don't waste time making revision cards, and write brief notes and throw away any useless information you learn in class. And remember teachers don't teach everything right, cover your tracks and print out the specifications.

Honestly thats exactly how I felt during my GCSE's - I felt drained out and started questioning whether a sheet of letters was worth it lol

I'm thinking about using the spec to make a list of questions out of it. I'm also considering to download a flashcard app so that I can revise over some of my notes in the bus. I agreee with the teaching stuff - not going to base my revision on what the teachers say and I have a tendency to write long detailed notes for chemsitry, IDK why I think its because it makes more sense to me. But I'll try cutting out the least important stuff.

I might try 4 for a couple of weeks and see if I can handle it, if I cant I'll just do 3 and possibly an EPQ - I heard that university's like them.
Has there ever been a question that was never mentioned at all in the spec?
Reply 8
Honestly thats exactly how I felt during my GCSE's - I felt drained out and started questioning whether a sheet of letters was worth it lol

I'm thinking about using the spec to make a list of questions out of it. I'm also considering to download a flashcard app so that I can revise over some of my notes in the bus. I agreee with the teaching stuff - not going to base my revision on what the teachers say and I have a tendency to write long detailed notes for chemsitry, IDK why I think its because it makes more sense to me. But I'll try cutting out the least important stuff.

I might try 4 for a couple of weeks and see if I can handle it, if I cant I'll just do 3 and possibly an EPQ - I heard that university's like them.
Has there ever been a question that was never mentioned at all in the spec?

My teacher didn't teach economics very well and a topic we never covered in class (but i taught myself) came up on the exam as a very big essay questions, but no everything on the spec is what will come up :biggrin:
Original post by BR1999
My teacher didn't teach economics very well and a topic we never covered in class (but i taught myself) came up on the exam as a very big essay questions, but no everything on the spec is what will come up :biggrin:

Okay I get it, stick to only the spec :smile:
Congrats on your GCSEs! They are a solid collection of results, and not bad by any means :smile:

If I was to give any advice, it really is to start working early. It doesn't have to be intense, just the odd 30 mins every there and then in order to recap your knowledge. Because there is soooo much content this will really help you out in the long run!
Original post by Babs Posh
Congrats on your GCSEs! They are a solid collection of results, and not bad by any means :smile:

If I was to give any advice, it really is to start working early. It doesn't have to be intense, just the odd 30 mins every there and then in order to recap your knowledge. Because there is soooo much content this will really help you out in the long run!

Thanks and yes of course :smile: I'm looking forward to chemistry!
UPDATE: 04/10/16
Its been more than a month since I have posted this thread :/ I didn't exactly get to do as much as I expected but here's what I did this past month while getting used to my new school:

Oh yeah I decided to choose economics and I really dont like it :/ I find it boring but I already bought the textbook and dont want to waste the money. I find subject fairly simple though so hopefully I'll do well!

Chemistry:

Completed remaking notes for Chapter 2 Module 2 - Atom (I just need to fix up a few stupid mistakes)

Completed making draft notes for Chapter 3 Module 2 - Moles (I just have to fix it up, shoten it down and rewrite)

Maths:

Covered a few chapters of C1 with exam solution videos. - But i'm planning on getting the textbook just to see if I'm going over all topics correctly.

Covered a few chapters for S1 (but I have fallen behind due to taking days off shool - So I will catch up tomorrow and thursday)

Economics:

Bought the textbook a few weeks ago and havent revised yet.

Biology:

I hate revising this subject, it's so tedious as the endorced OCR textbook is too detailed and chatty, but I really like the content and depth into the topics compared to GCSE's though!!!

I have made rough notes for micrscopy, hopefully I will shorten it down :biggrin:

I'm confused with 2 things though, The max magnification for the light micrscope was always 1500 but in the endorced book it says 2000? :tongue: Is it a good idea to make notes on literally everything in the book (excluding stuff like synoptic links etc..) cuz they seem really important?

Anybody who has done the new AS exams last year, was there a lot of questions relating to micrscopy? What did they ask about it?

I feel like I hadly did anything at all IMO :frown:
I'm going to be more consistent with my updates and hopefully catch up with revision :biggrin: - So expect a new update within this week/weekend :smile:

P.S. Sorry for bad photography and not updating sooner.
(edited 7 years ago)

Mathematicas - A
Chemica (chemistry) - A*
Biologica - B
Physics - B
Sociologica - A
Espanol - B

Read more

Sleep early

Revise more

Hey you do the same alevels as me ? What boards are they ?
Yeah I think I mentioned it on your thread.
Economics- OCR
Maths - EDEXCEL
Chemistry - OCR
Biology - OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think I mentioned it on your thread.
Economics- OCR
Maths - EDEXCEL
Chemistry - OCR
Biology - OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly same except from Economics where i do Edexcel :smile: Ah yes i remember
Cool we can help each other out then :biggrin:
How are you finding biology revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mathematicas - A
Chemica (chemistry) - A*
Biologica - B
Physics - B
Sociologica - A
Espanol - B

Read more

Sleep early

Revise more

honestly i get you mate, I got:
A* Arabic
A* RS
A Maths
A Eng Lit
A Geography
A Chemistry
B Biology
B Drama
B Spanish
C Physics (dumb butt teacher who pretended he was a fairy with a pet dragon made of paper)
C English Lang (resiting cos my stupid teacher)

and i was so bumbed out cos my results mean that I couldnt take bio a-level needed an A so i might resit it???

where do you plan on going to for uni, what course?

i spoke with a teacher at my school about taking as bio or whatever and she was like, where do you want to go and i said med-ish area and no lie all the teachers at my school lower you down, she told me im at a disadvantage cos of my grades and that everyone will have loads of A* and As straight. thanks a lot bish

anyway i take chem, psych, maths and geog. so somewhat similar. if you every want help or whatever pop up :smile:
Cool we can help each other out then :biggrin:
How are you finding biology revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good but so much to memorise u ?
Lol same.
I find understanding the stuff makes it easier to memorise. But some parts are really confusing (more confusing than chemistry for me)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest