The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When I applied for my PGCE they didn't ask me what grade I got and I didn't tell them. The only time they knew was after I was accepted and had to provide my certificate.
Reply 2
I think the classification box on the UCAS application form is compulsory so it probably isn't possible for applicants not to supply this information. Nationally, there aren't many people who get onto courses with a degree that isn't a 1st, 2:1 or 2:2. Last year it was 853 out of over 27,000 trainees, so just over 3%. This has been the case for a few years now. The DfE hasn't broken this data down by subject, but I think it's likely that a lot of these people will have trained to teach shortage subjects because the shortage means that there is greater flexibility with entry requirements. Others may have had experience working in education, which made their degree classification less important. Clearly, it's possible but likely difficult to get into teaching with a third class degree - I would be approaching SCITTs rather than universities because I think they are less likely to place value on people's academic backgrounds above all else. Volunteering/working in a school that offers a School Direct course might be another way in.
There is a shortage of applicants for some subjects. This is another variable that could effect the outcome. Ditto your experience.

Apply and see what happens. That's literally all you can do.*
I managed to get a place on a Primary PGCE starting next month with a 3rd class degree.
Hi Robinsong, well done! Can I ask which uni you are going to and how much school experience you have? Thanks
I also managed to get onto a (nonsalaried) School Direct + PGCE course with a 3rd (starting next month - eek!). They nearly didn't accept me, and they only noticed at my interview (where I apparently wow-ed them into accepting me!). I have 4 1/2 years experience in schools.

It can be done, you just have to give them a reason to fight to have you on their course rather than someone who doesn't require so much effort. ^^
Original post by Pinkywinky88
Hi Robinsong, well done! Can I ask which uni you are going to and how much school experience you have? Thanks

Hi and thank you! :smile:

I applied to University of Cumbria (Carlisle campus). Admissions told me I probably had no chance but I emailed the lecturer I had met at the open day and was told to just apply anyway. I got a place there and then at the interview, and my interview was in early December so I was one of the first round of interviews.

I have just completed a full year volunteering in a TA capacity 3 days per week at a local primary school (I covered a variety of years during that time). I was also on the supply list for Learning Support assistants and did some work in a SEN school. Before that I had 6 weeks placement teaching arts and crafts at another primary school and 2 full weeks work experience at another one (although this one was years ago).

I think my application was helped by me having 3 children, one of which has autism and dyspraxia. I know a lot about autism and have studied other areas of SEN in my own time (they seemed to like that).
Reply 8
wow that is awesome to hear guys i hope robinson is a guy, I know a some people who studied biology but hated lab entry job and applied for teaching and there they are doing pgce. I don't know i feel i dont know enough about the world and just dont feel the conviction unless i do more research my life is quite disorientated!
Original post by night_sky
i hope robinson is a guy

I hate to disappoint, but I'm not...... I'm a guyette.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
There is a shortage of applicants for some subjects. This is another variable that could effect the outcome. Ditto your experience.

Apply and see what happens. That's literally all you can do.*

How do you know what subjects have a shortage of applicants?
I'm hoping to teach chemistry at secondary schools and hoping that jobs will still be available in let's say, 5 years time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
What was your original degree in?
It was in English and sociology I would like to do a primary pgce in London
Original post by Bloom77
How do you know what subjects have a shortage of applicants?
I'm hoping to teach chemistry at secondary schools and hoping that jobs will still be available in let's say, 5 years time

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the website you apply through, some subjects fill up much quicker than others.

Also some subjects get given bursaries to encourage people to train to teach them.
Reply 14
Which university is that, Robinsong? :smile:
well done!
Original post by chihiro7
Which university is that, Robinsong? :smile:
well done!

Sorry for late reply, my PGCE is in full swing and I've not been back here in a while! I'm at university of Cumbria (Carlisle campus)
Which universitydidbyou apply at?
Original post by Robinsong
I managed to get which university accepted
If you dont mind me asking, how did you got about getting the PGCE?
Hey,How did you complete your qualifications after getting 3rd I need help please!

Latest

Trending

Trending