The Student Room Group

Stereotypes and smashing them! :)

Fun little story! I went to collect my results today, the amount of looks (the sort of look where you can tell someone's looking down on you) I got from parents and random people on the street was absurd. By now I'm used to it because it happens wherever I go, as I know there's a certain shock factor to my appearance, but today it was interesting. I've been told so many times in the past that how I look gives off a certain "she doesn't pay attention at school, has bad grades, and a lot of other bad stuff" vibe, and it's clear that many of the parents who saw me today thought exactly that.

But I get into school, nervously open my results, and find out I'm the top performer.

image.jpeg

Take a wild guess who I am haha! It looks like I have cropped hair which sucks...in reality I have a half red half black Mohawk that I wear in a long plait with grade 1 either side. I also have piercings (nose ring and helix!) and I don't dress like the typical student I suppose :P

I've been worried for a while now about going into a career in the sciences when I look how I do, but today has given me a major boost to just pursue it and see what happens. So the point of my story is...people are always going to judge you by how you look and sometimes there's no stopping that, and the only way you can prove people wrong is by doing just that, smashing their stereotypes and showing them that there's more to you than just your appearance.

I hope everyone's got the grades they were hoping for and have celebrations in place!! Everyone's worked really hard and you all deserve the best. Good luck in college guys!

(And yes, that is Kane on my tshirt hahaha! #reppin XD)
This is an awesome story, and congratulations on doing so well :h: It also looks like you have a really nice group of friends there who support you!

Thankfully you'll find that when you get to college, University, and then the workplace, people are far more accepting of what you look like. I found you are more judged on your capabilities than appearance as you get older :rock:
Original post by xMiakatx
Fun little story! I went to collect my results today, the amount of looks (the sort of look where you can tell someone's looking down on you) I got from parents and random people on the street was absurd. By now I'm used to it because it happens wherever I go, as I know there's a certain shock factor to my appearance, but today it was interesting. I've been told so many times in the past that how I look gives off a certain "she doesn't pay attention at school, has bad grades, and a lot of other bad stuff" vibe, and it's clear that many of the parents who saw me today thought exactly that.

But I get into school, nervously open my results, and find out I'm the top performer.

image.jpeg

Take a wild guess who I am haha! It looks like I have cropped hair which sucks...in reality I have a half red half black Mohawk that I wear in a long plait with grade 1 either side. I also have piercings (nose ring and helix!) and I don't dress like the typical student I suppose :P

I've been worried for a while now about going into a career in the sciences when I look how I do, but today has given me a major boost to just pursue it and see what happens. So the point of my story is...people are always going to judge you by how you look and sometimes there's no stopping that, and the only way you can prove people wrong is by doing just that, smashing their stereotypes and showing them that there's more to you than just your appearance.

I hope everyone's got the grades they were hoping for and have celebrations in place!! Everyone's worked really hard and you all deserve the best. Good luck in college guys!

(And yes, that is Kane on my tshirt hahaha! #reppin XD)

Awesoooooooome!! Congrats :woo: :woo:
And I personally think you look fab :blush: so original fxck the system :u:
Congrats again chérie :lovehug: :woo:
Reply 3
Original post by jenhasdreams
and then the workplace, people are far more accepting of what you look like

I've found it to be the complete opposite. I guess it depends what profession and company you go into.
Reply 4
yay go you! I'd (obviously) never judge someones' intellect on their appearance but many people do! good luck for the future :smile:
Reply 5
I think its a great thing that you choose to be yourself and for that i have much respect for you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest