The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would send them to counselling, when they're 18 they can make their own choices. Until then, my roof, my bills and my rules. They can get medical -mental- help. Then when they can pay for their own decisions (financially and socially) they can make such choices
never. it's caused by a lack of test levels
(edited 3 years ago)
A lot of the replies on here are heartbreaking and the reason that there is a high suicide rate for trans people. If my hypothetical son told me they were trans, I'd ask what name and pronouns they wanted and if I could do anything to help make it easier for them. Simple as that.

To all the people that would reject the child: you disgust me. If you would not love your child unconditionally, you do not deserve to be a parent. That's like me saying I'd kick my kid out for being blonde. None of you should be parents if you will not love and support them.
I would be happy that first they want to confide in me for something like this and feel like they can! I would also be happy that they're taking steps in the right direction and accepting themselves for who they are and are not hiding away from it because they are scared of it! Anything that would make my child's life happier that doesn't effect or compromise someone else's happiness I would be in favour of!
Not that I have a kid or even want to consider that anytime soon but if it ever is the case I would just want them to be happy and accept themselves for who they are!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
I would be supportive
Original post by richpanda
So I'm damaging the by NOT letting them mutilate their body? You're beyond parody ffs

no, you're damaging them by treating them as though they are stupid. You are damaging them by acting as though their body is your property. You are damaging them by attempting to control their life. And when this hypothetical child grows up and hopefully gets past the trauma that YOU inflicted, they will hate everything about you and you will entirely deserve it. Parents are meant to support children, not destroy them. Grow the **** up.
Original post by supernerdural
no, you're damaging them by treating them as though they are stupid. You are damaging them by acting as though their body is your property. You are damaging them by attempting to control their life. And when this hypothetical child grows up and hopefully gets past the trauma that you inflicted, they will hate everything about you and you will entirely deserve it. Parents are meant to support children, not destroy them. Grow the **** up.

e x a c t l y.
Original post by supernerdural
no, you're damaging them by treating them as though they are stupid. You are damaging them by acting as though their body is your property. You are damaging them by attempting to control their life. And when this hypothetical child grows up and hopefully gets past the trauma that YOU inflicted, they will hate everything about you and you will entirely deserve it. Parents are meant to support children, not destroy them. Grow the **** up.

They are stupid though. They're children. It's just a phase, they'd grow up to be a normal functioning adult in their natural sex

Original post by ivybridge
Hahahaha, it's not really mutilation. This shows how uneducated you are on transgenderism and sex-reassignment surgery. **** me, when will people accept they don't understand everything and stop before they speak.

Well it is mutilation. Calling me uneducated isn't a valid argument against that point, as I'm most likely more educated than you, pal.

Yeah, and the sky isn't blue.
Yep, that's what mother and father said to me. Guess what? 18 years of age and I'm still as queer as I knew I was when I was in primary school - you don't know other people better than they know themselves, you utter bigot.

I completely agree that most gays are born queer, so don't try and call me out on that. Transexualism is different.
Wouldn't it be kind of obvious that someone is transgender? Does anyone know anyone who is transgender but it wasn't obvious before they came out??
To answer the question, I honestly don't know. To me it's a more serious matter than homo/bisexuality because someone believes they are a gender that their body suggests otherwise. How is that healthy for anyone?!

I would not pay for any transition surgery because I honestly don't know if that's the right thing to do. If they are sure about a transition surgery, I would beg them to wait until they're at least 21, because there has been cases of people having transition surgery and regretting it afterwards, so I have to make sure that they are sure.
They are stupid though. They're children. It's just a phase, they'd grow up to be a normal functioning adult in their natural sex

Tell the 'children' who commit suicide that it's just a 'phase'. If people are that depressed and miserable that they can't be accepted for who they are that they'd rather commit suicide I doubt it's just a phase. I'd rather they have gender reassignment surgery than be dead!
(edited 7 years ago)
I completely agree that most gays are born queer, so don't try and call me out on that. Transexualism is different.

I didn't "try" and call you out on anything - you are using the same arguments used towards LGB people, and taking them across to the T. Transgenderism is different but not in those respects. If it was harmful, if it was classed as a mental illness that surgery was not an apt remedy for, blah blah, it wouldn't be accepted in the most developed countries in the world. And it is. Just accept that you're only like this because it's new to you and you're ignorant. You're just like all our parents were 40 years back or so when being gay was first legalised in this country. Accept it. Your attitude will utterly destroy your child's life if they are LGBT. It's disgusting. If you are not willing to protect and love your children to the ends of the earth, through anything, and care more about your own nerve and respectability, than their happiness then you do not deserve to have children because they do not deserve shits like you for parents.

Original post by Kyle1198
Wouldn't it be kind of obvious that someone is transgender? Does anyone know anyone who is transgender but it wasn't obvious before they came out??
To answer the question, I honestly don't know. To me it's a more serious matter than homo/bisexuality because someone believes they are a gender that their body suggests otherwise. How is that healthy for anyone?!

I would not pay for any transition surgery because I honestly don't know if that's the right thing to do. If they are sure about a transition surgery, I would beg them to wait until they're at least 21, because there has been cases of people having transition surgery and regretting it afterwards, so I have to make sure that they are sure.

Surgery is much more difficult the later you leave it because puberty has happened. You should let doctors assess the situation.
I didn't "try" and call you out on anything - you are using the same arguments used towards LGB people, and taking them across to the T. Transgenderism is different but not in those respects. If it was harmful, if it was classed as a mental illness that surgery was not an apt remedy for, blah blah, it wouldn't be accepted in the most developed countries in the world. And it is. Just accept that you're only like this because it's new to you and you're ignorant. You're just like all our parents were 40 years back or so when being gay was first legalised in this country. Accept it. Your attitude will utterly destroy your child's life if they are LGBT. It's disgusting. If you are not willing to protect and love your children to the ends of the earth, through anything, and care more about your own nerve and respectability, than their happiness then you do not deserve to have children because they do not deserve shits like you for parents.

Surgery is much more difficult the later you leave it because puberty has happened. You should let doctors assess the situation.

In tears at the absolute load of psuedo-science waffle you've just written. Did I trigger you?
Original post by Josb
How exactly?

When you have faith that Jesus Christ died for your sins, you will be able to reconcile with God and start a new relationship with Him. He will cleanse you of those desires and you will no lore have a heart of stone but a heart of flesh.
Just accept that you're only like this because it's new to you and you're ignorant. You're just like all our parents were 40 years back or so when being gay was first legalised in this country. Accept it. Your attitude will utterly destroy your child's life if they are LGBT. It's disgusting. If you are not willing to protect and love your children to the ends of the earth, through anything, and care more about your own nerve and respectability, than their happiness then you do not deserve to have children because they do not deserve shits like you for parents.

:rofl2: The hypocrisy.

Same could be said about you and your views on drug use.
Original post by Trapz99
When you have faith that Jesus Christ died for your sins, you will be able to reconcile with God and start a new relationship with Him. He will cleanse you of those desires and you will no lore have a heart of stone but a heart of flesh.

You shouldn't force that belief on your children - it's yours. Not theirs.

Fine, if it's just a phase you'll have no problems letting your child dress and look how they want (gendering clothes and hair cuts is a ridiculous practice anyway). You'll let them express themself how THEY feel is appropriate, because they know themselves best. And if it is a phase, they will grow out of it, sure. But if you don't let them do what they want then it shows that either a) you are surprisingly smart enough to know it's not a joke and not a phase and b) you are a bigot who would rather control someone so that they fit your view of what is acceptable
Original post by Trapz99

okay I am not really up for a debate about the morality of religious teachings, but the foundation of religion is to love and accept people. You are going against this by rejecting your child. Also, do not thrust your views upon others. It is fine for you to be religious, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but let others - including your child - make up their own mind about these things and don't indoctrinate and brainwash them.
Reply 58
Original post by Ladbants
If you don't have a son, pretend that you do...

You don't "come out" as a transgender. You 'come out' as transgendered.

"Oh, he's a transgender..."? Nope.
If that makes you laugh, you're even more twisted than you first came across. Did you trigger me? Totally. This is disgusting. And I've been on the receiving end of the sort of *******s you're purporting and it hurts, it completely ****s things up and it does an awful lot of damage. As a father, if you want to inflict such pain on your children then you are simply not fit.

What would you do if your son was a drug user?

Remember

You shouldn't force that belief on your children - it's yours. Not theirs.

Latest