The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5300
Original post by trollface54
I guess I'm the only one here doing 17 gcse's:u:

Yeah probably I'm doing 20 😏
Opinion PleaseI'm searching for an opinion on wether I should go for a remark.I have just got my Physics results from my centre - looking at the UMS it could be one mark more I need for an A*.
I was predicted an A*,yet I'm happy to settle for an A. I absolutely detest physics and the result has no bearing on the sixth-form I want to go to, or the subjects I want to do.

Should I risk it and go for a remark;or should I just put Physics behind me and be content with my current grade. My Physics teacher's indifferent.

Thanks
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
Opinion PleaseI'm searching for an opinion on wether I should go for a remark.I have just got my Physics results from my centre - looking at the UMS it could be one mark more I need for an A*.
I was predicted an A*,yet I'm happy to settle for an A. I absolutely detest physics and the result has no bearing on the sixth-form I want to go to, or the subjects I want to do.

Should I risk it and go for a remark;or should I just put Physics behind me and be content with my current grade. My Physics teacher's indifferent.

Thanks

Go for a remark because the school would pay for it and even if it goes down I doubt it would go so down that u'd get a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bvmf99
I failed one of my GCSEs 😔

hey bvmf99, its lopes 123, I failed foundation maths as I got and F. which subject did you fail? whatever the subject is don't worry, I'm disappointed with my maths but hey I can still retake and plus I worked so hard for this and I went to every single revision sessions etc. what you need to do is not let yourself down and not say I cant do this. you need to have a positive attitude. look I know it's hard but I'm sure you can do this and achive what you want. :smile:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Guys I got 152/200 in EdExcel maths however when I checked the mark scheme I got around 170 +- 2-3 marks. This happened with most my grades! Shall I go for a remark??

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got my maths results two years ago so i'm not sure if the results for math are any different for other subjects, but - on your exam slip it usually shows your UMS marks rather than your raw marks (the marks you got in the exam). results from AQA show UMS marks, and 'the majority of' edexcel results show UMS marks (as quoted from their website). all of my results today were in UMS marks - e.g. all my science exams were out of 60 raw marks, but the results for each in UMS marks are out of 80.
Original post by zeldor711
All these people talking about having straight As and A*s, and here am I sitting here with...

8A*s and 4As :colonhash:

Isn't that exactly what straight As and A*s is lol
Original post by kgbenett
i got my maths results two years ago so i'm not sure if the results for math are any different for other subjects, but - on your exam slip it usually shows your UMS marks rather than your raw marks (the marks you got in the exam). results from AQA show UMS marks, and 'the majority of' edexcel results show UMS marks (as quoted from their website). all of my results today were in UMS marks - e.g. all my science exams were out of 60 raw marks, but the results for each in UMS marks are out of 80.

Oh we didn't get given an UMS mark or a raw mark. I asked my maths teacher. And EdExcel maths doesn't have UMS on their grade boundaries and I couldn't calculate it on the EdExcel UMS converter because mathematics A wasn't on the option.
Most my subjects seem soo wrong and so I have to remark a lot of the papers! Idk what to do :frown: I really didn't expect this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hey It's Cerian
I'll be in Year 11 this September, but I'm hoping to stay at school afterwards and do some A Levels in 6th form. What course are you doing in college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey cerian, it's me lopes 123. I'm gonna do BTEC LEVEL 2 HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE. I been to a taster lesson and this course is perfect for me.
Original post by nwmyname
You'll be fine.
Maths papers, and I can tell you for sure, they are marked with greater leniency with the consideration that you are in the exam season so nerves can occur.
I was in the same position as you 2 years ago and I came out with the A* so don't worry at all.

You were so right, I ended up with an A* in maths!:smile: Thanks for your support:h:
Got mostly what I wanted, 1A* 4A 5B 1C, quite happy really, bit disappointed with a B in Eng Lit but an A in RS wasn't expected! My mate didn't do well at all and has missed out on a place at our sixth form, really gutted for him and can't help but feel bad for him. Also, I did OCR Mathematics B and it's the only mark that hasn't been printed? All of the others say the Mark Equiv except this one... anyone know why or how I can get hold of it? Would like to see how close I was to A*...

Congrats to everyone :smile:
Original post by eja1407
Self prediction/achieved:

Maths A*/A*
Further maths A*/A^
Geography A*/A*
Biology A/A*
Chemistry A*/A*
Physics A/A*
French A*/A*
English Language A/A
English Literature A/A*
Physical Education A*/A*
Religious Studies A*/A*
History B/A

Overall: 1A^, 9A*, 2A

So happy!!!

Woah that's flipping amazing! I got an A in further maths and I was really proud of that! I sear it's near impossible to get an A^. You're probably an Einstein in the making
I need advice about whether to get a remark or not? I was 1 ums off an a* in English language and my teacher said I should get a remark. I only need 1 extra mark to go up. However, I have read things which say remarks have changed, so it may not go up. Is it worth it? My teacher wants me to and said school would pay, but will the grade get worse?
Quick question - I got 5 A*s, 4 A's and a B - will this B in Spanish hold me back in anyway? Hoping to apply to Cambridge
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Oh we didn't get given an UMS mark or a raw mark. I asked my maths teacher. And EdExcel maths doesn't have UMS on their grade boundaries and I couldn't calculate it on the EdExcel UMS converter because mathematics A wasn't on the option.
Most my subjects seem soo wrong and so I have to remark a lot of the papers! Idk what to do :frown: I really didn't expect this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe you actually just lost the marks? it's really unlikely that a lot/all of your papers were marked significantly lower than what you expected. also if you were using a mark scheme made by a teacher or something then it obviously wouldn't be the real one so they might have not included important details in the mark scheme. i'm not really sure what happened to be honest! the best you can do is ask for your exams to be re-marked, i suppose. i hope everything goes well for you! :h:
Original post by jadeee18x
I need advice about whether to get a remark or not? I was 1 ums off an a* in English language and my teacher said I should get a remark. I only need 1 extra mark to go up. However, I have read things which say remarks have changed, so it may not go up. Is it worth it? My teacher wants me to and said school would pay, but will the grade get worse?

The grade won't get worse, as it would have to fall a spectacular number of points for it to drop to a B. Last year I got a remark that went up 12 UMS, so if you feel like you should have got an A*, go for it! :smile:
I'm 18 and I started an apprenticeship not so long ago. I got my result for English today. It came back 2 marks off a C (for the 3rd year in a row, 6 exams in a row I've came within 1-2 marks from a C). So I'm at the point now where I know that I'm not going to get a C from getting it re marked. My question is, what happens now? I've left school with a D in English but I've already secured an apprenticeship. What happens if I don't get a full time job from it and I want to search for a job? I dont have a C in English so nobody would take me on.
Can't believe I actually did okay😶😶😶😊😊
My results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2eeanFvIrI
Original post by kgbenett
maybe you actually just lost the marks? it's really unlikely that a lot/all of your papers were marked significantly lower than what you expected. also if you were using a mark scheme made by a teacher or something then it obviously wouldn't be the real one so they might have not included important details in the mark scheme. i'm not really sure what happened to be honest! the best you can do is ask for your exams to be re-marked, i suppose. i hope everything goes well for you! :h:

That's what I was thinking as well but everyone said that the maths one was completely accurate hence the reason why they got the same mark they had predicted. I'm buying a copy of each unit paper to show my teachers whether they had marked properly. But I will defo remark my maths and french because I know french should be an A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
me and my friends open our results live in front of camera!! i cant believe this!!
Original post by jadeee18x

you should definitely get it remarked! there's a very good chance your result will go up. i got mine sent in a few years ago for english, i was off by 2 or 3 marks and i went up a grade. even if you did end up losing a few marks, you'd really only lose a very small amount. there's an extremely low chance you would drop a grade and end up with a B, because i assume you'd need to lose a lot of marks for that to happen - especially seeing as you're only one mark away from an A*. and it's only one UMS mark, too !!! that's less than 1 raw mark, i think it's around 1/3 of a raw mark actually. it's definitely worth sending it in! :h:

Latest