The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

So glad i was able to cancel my UKCAT test booked for septenber after receiving an offer after results day for dentistry at Sheffield. My UKcat score last year was 645 band 2.
Hi,

I'm revising for the UKCAT test, doing some practice questions. I can't seem to grasp the verbal reasoning and have tried everything.
Has anyone already done the test?
If so, what did you get (if you dont mind me asking), and what technique did you use?
All your feedback is appreciated :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
I don't know much about GEM courses, but I think it may still be possible, but if you can finance it, the 5 year course will be more viable.

Also, everyone could have done better! I could have done better, you could have done better, the girl who got an 890 average last year could have done better! That doesn't mean that your score is bad!

Yeah I think i'll go for the 5 yr courses instead. I'm just worried about the finance aspect. Going to uni has already put a large strain on them so I guess i'll have to see. What universities have a cut off point at around my score?

And yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks :smile:
Original post by therainman
Yeah I think i'll go for the 5 yr courses instead. I'm just worried about the finance aspect. Going to uni has already put a large strain on them so I guess i'll have to see. What universities have a cut off point at around my score?

And yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks :smile:

I honestly don't know much about requirements for graduates, but if you ask in the Medicine 'Are my grades good enough' megathread, you'll be able to get a good answer there :smile:
[QUOTE="therainman;67203562"]
Original post by sean0219
Sorry it didn't go as planned. However this is a very good score.
If you are able to finance a 5 year course, your options are wide open.
However you're more limited with GEM courses. If predicted a first then Barts is a possibility. Unfortunately your VR is probably not enough for Warwick.
However, hold out until September when the scores are released, as the averages may have dropped

No I'm predicted a 2:1 :/ What universities do you think would accept my UKCAT score? The scores being posted on TSR is seriously making me feel horrible about mine. Will I even stand a chance at GEM universities?

On previous years I don't think there is, however the UKCAT has changed this year so the averages could drop, nobody knows.
If it doesn't work out then a year out is frustrating but isn't the end of the world. Try not to get too down about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dentist1999
i would recommend it yes, quite a large proportion of the QR and VR sections are the same, but there are new sections this year such as SJT and also the AR is a bit different in the new book

Yeah I was just wondering and I have Medify as well
Original post by hopefulmedic04
Unfortunately I only got AAAAB in my exams so I needed reach for a grade booster. Honestly so gutted. Do you about any of the other Scottish unis? Glasgow was my dream tho so really disappointed

Hey there, also a Scottish applicant and got AAAAB. Have you done your UKCAT yet? What are you thinking about your chances of getting a place. Right now I'm being skeptical. I'm getting my B remarked was 2 off an A so if that comes back an A I will be delighted. But otherwise, I may have to be taking a gap year
Original post by Euan1603
Hey there, also a Scottish applicant and got AAAAB. Have you done your UKCAT yet? What are you thinking about your chances of getting a place. Right now I'm being skeptical. I'm getting my B remarked was 2 off an A so if that comes back an A I will be delighted. But otherwise, I may have to be taking a gap year

Hiya, have you done your UKCAT? AAAAB is okay - I know a guy who got multiple offers with those grades a few years ago. Just need a good enough UKCAT to compensate

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Original post by muz360
Hiya, have you done your UKCAT? AAAAB is okay - I know a guy who got multiple offers with those grades a few years ago. Just need a good enough UKCAT to compensate

Yeh I have got 680 band 2 so not terrible but not exactly amazing. Are you a Scottish applicant also?
Reply 3169
just did the isc mock test and I got:
630- VR
590-AR
590- QA
...... and my test is on the 31st, i'm really starting to panic.
Yeh I have got 680 band 2 so not terrible but not exactly amazing. Are you a Scottish applicant also?

I applied last year, starting at Glasgow in a couple of weeks!

680 is a good score. The friend I mentioned in my last reply got offers from St Andrews and Aberdeen with 660 and AAAAB. I think he got a Dundee interview too.

With the AAAAB, band 2, and good but not exceptional UKCAT, Edinburgh looks unlikely. You may need a near perfect personal statement unfortunately.

You probably already know this, but glasgow need 5As.

So hopefully you'll have a shot at getting interviews from the other Scottish med schools! Have you done reach or anything like that?

UKCAT was today for me :s-smilie: For anyone wondering, I only used Medify and this is on less than a week of revision (so unorganised IKK)

VR - 630
QR - 770
AR - 620
SJ - Band 1

Total - 2020, Average - 673

AR was disappointing, VR was representative, and did better in QR and SJ than expecting!

If anyone wants to point me towards uni's I have a shot at (A-levels: AAA) :colondollar: Planning to call eligible uni's tomorrow to ask about UKCAT requirements (pm me if you wanna know what they say!)

Edit: My score and grades aren't exceptional, but I'm hearing lots of stories of people who get in with less!
(edited 7 years ago)
How much harder is the VR in the real thing opposed to modify and 1000q isc book?
Original post by HarveySpecter97
How much harder is the VR in the real thing opposed to modify and 1000q isc book?

Was literally about to ask this. The VR in the isc 1000Q book seem so hard man, some of the passages are just so long and it overwhelms you with information. Can someone who's taken the exam say whether it was harder or easier in the real thing?? How long were the passages too, generally speaking?
Original post by muz360

680 is a good score. The friend I mentioned in my last reply got offers from St Andrews and Aberdeen with 660 and AAAAB. I think he got a Dundee interview too.

With the AAAAB, band 2, and good but not exceptional UKCAT, Edinburgh looks unlikely. You may need a near perfect personal statement unfortunately.

So hopefully you'll have a shot at getting interviews from the other Scottish med schools! Have you done reach or anything like that?

I'm not sure what reach is? I'm from the highlands so maybe we don't have that, I volunteer at a disability home aswell as at the hospital for almost a year, aswell as having a busy part time job, I've had nearly 2 weeks of hospital based work experience also. If I got my B remarked and it came back as an A, do you think I would be classed as a strong applicant?
[QUOTE="Euan1603;67213040"]
Original post by muz360

I'm not sure what reach is? I'm from the highlands so maybe we don't have that, I volunteer at a disability home aswell as at the hospital for almost a year, aswell as having a busy part time job, I've had nearly 2 weeks of hospital based work experience also. If I got my B remarked and it came back as an A, do you think I would be classed as a strong applicant?

Reach is basically a government funded programme that helps disadvantaged students get into medicine, dentistry and law. Some unis offer reach students an advantage.

Yours ECs and work experience sound good, you should have a fair bit to talk about at interviews.

If you did end up with 5As it would make your application a fair bit stronger. You'd have a better chance with edinburgh, and you'd be able to apply to glasgow. Apparently Glasgow's UKCAT cut off last year was 675, so as long as the average doesn't decrease you may just squeeze an interview. But as it stands you have a good shot at getting interviews from Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews so you're looking alright 👍
How do you guys calculate your score from the UKCAT practice tests online?
[QUOTE="muz360;67213708"]

Reach is basically a government funded programme that helps disadvantaged students get into medicine, dentistry and law. Some unis offer reach students an advantage.

Yours ECs and work experience sound good, you should have a fair bit to talk about at interviews.

If you did end up with 5As it would make your application a fair bit stronger. You'd have a better chance with edinburgh, and you'd be able to apply to glasgow. Apparently Glasgow's UKCAT cut off last year was 675, so as long as the average doesn't decrease you may just squeeze an interview. But as it stands you have a good shot at getting interviews from Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews so you're looking alright 👍

the UKCAT is all glasgow look at prior to interview isn't it?
Any tips for VR? I'm getting all the practice questions wrong and my UKCAT is in a couple of days!! :frown:
Is the VR in the exam similar to medify and the 1000 qs book? Coz my exam is on the 16th and im still getting in the 570-630 region in all the sections is that bad as of now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending