The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My honest reaction? "Stop being ridiculous. There is truth and there is falsehood. You're a man, act like one". If he doesn't want to live a normal life and wants to live that sort of lifestyle he can go and find it himself. He certainly won't be entering my home. If I was a 'transgender' my parents would probably kick me out of the house and pretend I was never born.
Original post by dingleberry jam
You'd consider your son to be a **** for what he chooses to put into his body, sounds bigoted to me.

You never use alcohol? What kind of help and support? Encouraging them to stop? Why should they if they don't feel they have a problem?

Drug use is seven times higher among gays, why do you think gays are so much more likely to be *****?

Bigoted suggests you are ignorant to anybody else's opinion. I am not. They are free to do as they please - I don't have to think that's the right thing to do. And it's funny because they soon come running to mummy and daddy when they're in debt up to their eye balls, have an addiction, or are severely sick. And it will happen.

I have drank, I don't drink very often at all. I wouldn't encourage them to stop if they drank with care and didn't have a problem.

What does that have to do with anything? From what I've read, it seems to me that the rate is higher because of the level of problems the LGBTQIA+ community faces socially. Many gay people try and escape or lose hope and turn to those substances, which cause them harm.
Original post by biglad2k16
My honest reaction? "Stop being ridiculous. There is truth and there is falsehood. You're a man, act like one". If he doesn't want to live a normal life and wants to live that sort of lifestyle he can go and find it himself. He certainly won't be entering my home. If I was a 'transgender' my parents would probably kick me out of the house and pretend I was never born.

Don't have kids then.
Original post by ivybridge
No, the most loving thing to do is accept that your child is their own rationally autonomous being and that your religious drivel is your own beliefs, not your child's. If they make legally acceptable, non-harmful, and informed choices, then you cannot as a parent, not accept them. You need to accept them and love the child, regardless of your own qualms with those choices.

Makes me so mad even listening to you validate your points with religious nonsense. IT IS A BOOK CONSTRUCTED BY PRIESTS HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO TO MANIPULATE THE POPULATION INTO FOLLOWING WHAT THE CHURCH WANTED THEM TO FOLLOW, AND TO CONSOLIDATE POWER. STOP. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS FIGURE LIVES ON A CLOUD. IT IS YOUR BELIEF. IT IS NOT FACT. THERE'S BARELY ANY BACKING FOR ANY OF IT. LITERALLY JUST STOP.

image.gif
Original post by Trapz99
Maybe it's making you angry because you know it's the truth. That's my take, anyway.

No the reason people are angry with views like this is because they are thinking of the poor child who is terrified of their own parents. The child who will be brainwashed into being nothing more than what their parents desire because they are told anything else is sin. The child who will grow up psychologically damaged because they have been told that by exisiting they will be punished after death and deserve it, as well as being punished in life by having parents that do not respect or love them. And yes, you do not love your child is you would rather watch them suffer from your poor parenting than support them. It's tragic, that that child will grow up to hate themself and probably try to kill themself, all because you were too afraid and prejudiced to love them. THAT is what makes people angry.
Reply 85
If God is infallible, then he cannot make a mistake. And if you are religious, then you accept that God has made every single one of us, and although he gave us free will, he still has a plan for us. God cannot make a mistake, and therefore my sons choice would not be a mistake either. God has a plan, and his plan for my hypothetical son is to be transgender. Case closed.
Don't have kids then.

I would have kids. I would just make sure that they grow up as normal people and don't commit suicide like almost half of so-called "transgenders". It's my choice and you can't take that away from me.
Original post by biglad2k16

please do not become a parent if you are unprepared to love your child. It is unfair to the child and wholly selfish on your part
I'd say to wait until they're 18, then keep them far away from tumblr until they see sense lol
Reply 89
I guess I'd have to accept it. I can't see myself ever disowning my own flesh and blood so I'd love them regardless. But I'll be honest, I wouldn't be happy about it. It'd be more that I'm tolerating it as opposed to embracing his/her decision. Just being honest.
Some of these answers are bloody disgusting man.
I'll tell them to stop being weird and be normal. I'm not going to accept that abhorrent lifestyle by any means
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't have a child but if I were to have a child who came out as transgender, I would love them regardless and do everything I can do support them and make them feel their happiest.

It would take some time to get my head around having to use different pronouns and calling them by a different name (if they would prefer to be called by a name that suits their gender) though. :lol:
Reply 93
Original post by Trapz99
The most loving thing to do is to guide them towards the right path.

How do you know it's the right path?
Do you realise that it's your attitude and the hatred of these individuals that cause them to commit suicide? Open your ****ing eyes you ****.

Where's the evidence that this their reason for suicide? Do you have sources to back up those claims? How do you know that it is not their dissatisfaction with the transgender lifestyle (trans-regret) that is causing them to commit suicide?
Original post by Josb
How do you know it's the right path?

I have faith.
Original post by Ladbants
If you don't have a son, pretend that you do...

I'd say okay, warn him of potential bullying from other people, then return to my life.
Seriously, the responses on this thread literally make my heart break for trans kids. We're a ****ing disgusting species.
Original post by swervybang
I'll tell them to stop being weird and be normal. I'm not going to accept that abhorrent lifestyle by any means

Then they deserve a million times better than you.
Original post by Mathemagicien
My reaction would be to have a look at my parenting, and to see what I had done wrong.

edgy

Latest