The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Biochemistry

What work experience do I need to complete for biochemistry? Work experience is such an important thing to include in your personal statement but I'm unsure what I actually need to do for biochem
I'd say get some experience in a lab. Local unis are good places to get some lab experience, or at least they were for me and others I know. I only did 4 days at a local uni, and didn't even do that much, but it was really useful.
Original post by samirahbegum
What work experience do I need to complete for biochemistry? Work experience is such an important thing to include in your personal statement but I'm unsure what I actually need to do for biochem

In the summer or throughout the year, different universities hold summer schools, lectures, programmes for all kinds of things which is amazing to put in your personal statement.
For instance, UCL this summer hold so many different subject research projects which are great for a personal statement.
The Royal society of chemistry hold different biology/chemistry lectures which are nice to talk about in your personal statement.
The welcome collection hold so many life science events.
The science museum hold so many life science events.
The list is endless, and doing a research project or going to lectures often about your chosen subject is a great way to enhance your personal statement.
Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steampunk_Kitty
I'd say get some experience in a lab. Local unis are good places to get some lab experience, or at least they were for me and others I know. I only did 4 days at a local uni, and didn't even do that much, but it was really useful.

Ah okay, what sorts of things did you do during your work experience?
Just some basic lab techniques, like growing bacteria, how to use proper pipettes, and transferred and prepared some tissue culture. Some of the Masters students were there too so we got to look at their research and talk to them. It was pretty cool being in an actual lab, and seeing the real life applications of what you learn in school, like some of the students were looking stem cells, others showed us how they separated DNA using gel electrophoresis, and we actually had to learn about it in school this year. There was quite a bit of sitting around too, but it can help decide if you'd enjoy lab work or not :smile:.

And I agree with Bloom77, lectures and talks are simple ways to add to your personal statement, and extra reading as well. There are quite a few good popular science books which are enjoyable to read, and show you have an interest in bio and chem. Prof Steve Jones' The Single Helix is one I liked, and I tried Richard Dawkins, but I didn't like his writing style much and gave up in the end.
Reply 5
I'm going to be studying Medical Biochemistry this year, and I only had a couple of days in a hospital clinical biochemistry department and a few days at a University research lab. But some of my friends who also got offers had no Lab experience but did write about extra reading they've done etc
Original post by hasii
I'm going to be studying Medical Biochemistry this year, and I only had a couple of days in a hospital clinical biochemistry department and a few days at a University research lab. But some of my friends who also got offers had no Lab experience but did write about extra reading they've done etc
I rang up my local uni but they said they didnt offer work experience placements :frown: And can you please recommend me some books to read for biochemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest