The Student Room Group

Muslim family kicked off plane in London after passenger complains

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nosler
Muslim attitudes in Britain:

47% do not believe that it is acceptable for a school teacher to be homosexual

23% support the introduction of Sharia Law.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

And of those Muslims, how many think that Sharia Law should only apply to Muslims?
Reply 101
Original post by alevelstresss
And of those Muslims, how many think that Sharia Law should only apply to Muslims?

if they want Sharia law why do they not go to one of the 50 countries in the world that are Islamic?

PS. You really think it a good idea that Muslims have their Islamic enclaves in Europe?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nosler
if they want Sharia law why do they not go to one of the 50 countries in the world that are Islamic?

PS. You really think it a good idea that Muslims have their Islamic enclaves in Europe?

yeah because its a simple matter of packing up and going isn't it? people have lives, they can't just abandon them.
Islam readily commands fighting against non-believers.

Could you point me to where in Islamic scripture it states to "fight against non-believers" and what is the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

...By Muslims changing, I mean that 1.6 billion of them

Who all vary in religiosity and interpretations of Islam.

evidently don't readily behead non-believers...

Could you point me to where in Islamic scripture it states to "behead non-believers", and what is the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

...follow the violence in the Quran. Most of them acknowledge the violent parts

Presumably viewing such verses to be time restricted? Is this extended to say a lack of support for the persecution of apostates, blasphemers and those engaged in consensual extramarital sex?

and ignore it, but this isn't unconditional, there are many groups which don't. But the fact that Islam is 1500 years old

Islam is around 1400+ years old.

and society has changed so dramatically means that Muslims won't follow it without question as if they're brainwashed.

How would you convince a Muslim who reveres Muhammad and the Sahaba as role models for all humanity and supports (what presumably you would view as reprehensible) such as persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals - that the guidance of Islamic scripture and such revered Muslim figures, are to be restricted to a society "1500" years ago?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 104
yeah because its a simple matter of packing up and going isn't it? people have lives, they can't just abandon them.

Have you ever been invited to a party? Do you think it good manners to start moving the furniture about and painting the walls etc?

Why do you think you should be able to come to Europe and start changing our culture? If you don't like living in a secular democracy you should leave.
Original post by Nosler
Have you ever been invited to a party? Do you think it good manners to start moving the furniture about and painting the walls etc?

Why do you think you should be able to come to Europe and start changing our culture? If you don't like living in a secular democracy you should leave.

lol yeah that happens at student parties

and I'm not Muslim or an immigrant so I'm not sure why you're referring to me as the subject, but no one's changing culture lol
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Could you point me to where in Islamic scripture it states to "fight against non-believers" and what is the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

Who all vary in religiosity and interpretations of Islam.

Could you point me to where in Islamic scripture it states to "behead non-believers", and what is the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

Presumably viewing such verses to be time restricted? Is this extended to say a lack of support for the persecution of apostates, blasphemers and those engaged in consensual extramarital sex?

Islam is around 1400+ years old.

How would you convince a Muslim who reveres Muhammad and the Sahaba as role models for all humanity and supports (what presumably you would view as reprehensible) such as persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals - that the guidance of Islamic scripture and such revered Muslim figures, are to be restricted to a society "1500" years ago?

Why should I waste time with someone who a) demands me to prove things which are easily researchable, and b) corrects my understandable approximations

??
Original post by Zamestaneh
Islamaphobia is on the rise, people becoming more ignorant and right wing, prejudice and profiling increasing, anti-Muslim programs e.g. Prevent are being introduced...

Won't be long until Muslims will be forced to wear bright yellow cresent moons stitched into their clothes by the looks of it...

You are so true and its so sad
Original post by Galaxie501
Geography is definetely an important factor in development. I think there was a specific term for that, but I cant come up with it.

It's called environmental determinism and historians hate the very idea of it.
Why should I waste time with someone who a) demands me to prove things which are easily researchable and b) corrects my understandable approximations

??

So you're unable to show me such verses and provide the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

I would just like to be clarified on what you've stated and how you've arrived at such statements...

"Islam readily commands fighting against non-believers"

"...behead non-believers"

Could you also answer this. How would you convince a Muslim who reveres Muhammad and the Sahaba as role models for all humanity and supports (what presumably you would view as reprehensible) such as persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals - that the guidance of Islamic scripture and such revered Muslim figures, are to be restricted to a society "1500" years ago?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's the passengers who complained that should be kicked off the plane.they are wasting time......
look, i know there are haters here but this is just my opinion:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 111
Why don't we look at how Christians are treated in Islamic countries?"Muslims mob stabs Christian to death in Egypt

Bishop Macarious of the southern Minya governorate says the group attacked the families of two priests with knives and batons in the village of Tahna al-Gabal late on Sunday. Fam Khalaf, 27, was killed and the father of one of the priests was wounded.

Christians make up 10% of Egypt's mostly Muslim population. Sectarian violence occasionally erupts, mainly in rural communities in the south. Islamic extremists have also targeted Christians."

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/muslims-mob-stabs-christian-to-death-in-egypt-20160718

What's worse? Getting killed or getting removed from a plane? Europeans really have to wake up and smell the coffee.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Passenger should be fined for time wasting

In an ideal world, I agree. However the phrase "see something, say something" should always stand. It is far better to alert the authorities, and run the risk of offending folks and wasting time, than it is to keep quiet on a hunch and find out the hard way that you may have been right. We should never try and deter genuine fears for safety, not in this day and age.
Original post by tamil fever
It's the passengers who complained that should be kicked off the plane.they are wasting time......
look, i know there are haters here but this is just my opinion:smile:

But what if they had been right and not said anything, for fear of being punished for time wasting. Its not right, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
Original post by Emperor Trajan
So you're unable to show me such verses and provide the context of such a command and clarification, say by a well reputed tafsir or Muslim scholar on how such a verse is to be understood in light of the 21st century?

I would just like to be clarified on what you've stated and how you've arrived at such statements...

Could you also answer this. How would you convince a Muslim who reveres Muhammad and the Sahaba as role models for all humanity and supports (what presumably you would view as reprehensible) such as persecuting apostates, blasphemers, homosexuals - that the guidance of Islamic scripture and such revered Muslim figures, are to be restricted to a society "1500" years ago?

Not unable, its just I can't see the point when you can easily google it yourself to see that the Quran says something alone the lines of "strike the heads off non-believers" or implies something to that effect

and you can teach a Muslim that by educating them on the law in our society, but there are other societies to ours, in some places, that stuff is what the government practices.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm all for the scrutiny of Islam and Islamic extremism, but to suggest that just because other passengers who went through the rigorous airport protocol as you should be booted of because they're communicating in arabic is shocking and ludicrous.

The family booted off should sue the passenger and the airline if they half-hearted apology isn't sufficient.
Hahaha. I'm already 3 pages in and the conversation has switched to Israel. Why am I not surprised! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Original post by Vividly clear
I'm all for the scrutiny of Islam and Islamic extremism, but to suggest that just because other passengers who went through the rigorous airport protocol as you should be booted of because they're communicating in arabic is shocking and ludicrous.

The family booted off should sue the passenger and the airline if they half-hearted apology isn't sufficient.

You should probably read the article first. It didn't say that at all. The OP is making things up. A passenger claimed that one of them was on the phone (which should have been turned off anyway as instructed by the crew) was looking at ISIS propaganda.

The same criticism about it being the word of God can apply to Christianity. In a modern world, in the 21st century, we do not have very many people who follow their faiths to an absolute extent.

Much as I dislike Christianity (and all religions), you are wrong. The key underlying tenets of Christianity are Love thy neighbour as thyself and Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. There is absolutely nothing about punishment for apostasy, persecuting those with different superstitious beliefs, keeping women under the thumb of men, or turning the world into a Christian-ruled hellhole.
Original post by BioStudentx
You should probably read the article first. It didn't say that at all. The OP is making things up. A passenger claimed that one of them was on the phone (which should have been turned off anyway as instructed by the crew) was looking at ISIS propaganda.

The article also says it was a digital copy of the Koran. Unless it also had pictures of the ISIS flag and/or photos of guys waving AK-47s, Vividly clear is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending