The Student Room Group

Any graduates in here that have managed to land a job in EE?

I know I've been asking something similar to this for a while, the people that had jobs on my HNC course found the job before going on the course, so it probably wasn't the case that they got the job by starting the course.

I think i've run out of options to choose except complete the HND and then the Honours degree top up after that. People here have recommended that I am to apply for internships, I've searched around but their all up north, nothing local to me.

In the past I tried applying for apprenticeship, had been applying to electricians for the 2 years that I was on the C&G2330 course, then went onto the part time HNC for 2 years, continue to apply to Electrical Engineers by email, no response, now after getting the HNC I've been applying on Indeed, yet still no chance.

I have a friend that has a job in Electronics, I think as an electronic technician. But I don't really know anyone who's an electrical engineer or even how I would progress into those positions, maybe the mistake I've been making is thinking that I could just jump into an electrical engineering role, the reason why I've been trying to land an EE role rather than ET role is because I don't think the ET would progress onto the EE role, or even if the work experience would be relevant.

Now for experience, I think it's just impossible to get, and hence why nobody from college training to be an electrician could get a job as one, none had prior experience, so were stuck, before 2007 you could get experience, so only really older people can actually land the job.The interview goes something like this "You: Would it be possible for me to get a work experience placement in your company? Them: "Do you have experience?" You: No, that's why i'm looking for experience. Them: Sorry, you have to have experience before we give you experience in our company."

I imagine the situation would change if I got the degree, then apply for "graduate electrical engineer". I just see no way of getting into this career, even the electricians said to me that "you spend a lot of time and effort, and at the end of it, you will find there's no job for you.", so what to do? And what will this country do about a shortage of EE's in the future? If everyone in it is old, then what happens when they retire?

I just think EE is one of those classic jobs that are shipped out to do cheaply in china, even joined an EE facebook group and most of them were from like India. Migrate to india after getting the degree maybe?My skillset seems much more relevant to electrical technician roles rather than electrical engineering roles, on the EE roles they ask for all kinds of skills...
http://www.inautomotive.com/job/electrical-engineer-5124118755424/6686806?utm_source=Indeed&utm_campaign=recruitics&utm_medium=organic

https://www.matchtech.com/job/EMP372619/electrical-engineer-and-tester-poole-united-kingdom?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Even tried applying for electrical design engineer roles for ages but no chance. The only thing I've had interviews for is the very occasional low level electronics role or web development, which I already have a website I can show them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NullDrone

I think i've run out of options to choose except complete the HND and then the Honours degree top up after that. People here have recommended that I am to apply for internships, I've searched around but their all up north, nothing local to me.

If you want to break into the industry do all that it takes! Get out of your comfort zone and move to where the jobs are if you have to...don't keep making excuses for yourself.

Match tech is a pretty good website!
Reply 2
It seems that everyone goes quiet once you ask how many people got a job in EE after they graduate. People keep on giving all these suggestions and I basically try all of them yet never seem to get anywhere, just don't know what to do and what's worse is that we are kept in the dark about career progression, I think that's for a good reason though, I wonder how many people would get onto any higher education if they released the statistics about how many people got jobs at the end of it, I've been asking these kinds of questions for years, no response really and no advice from anyone that has actually got a job after they graduated. Wonder if they got fed up then started working a McDonalds...
It seems that everyone goes quiet once you ask how many people got a job in EE after they graduate. People keep on giving all these suggestions and I basically try all of them yet never seem to get anywhere, just don't know what to do and what's worse is that we are kept in the dark about career progression, I think that's for a good reason though, I wonder how many people would get onto any higher education if they released the statistics about how many people got jobs at the end of it, I've been asking these kinds of questions for years, no response really and no advice from anyone that has actually got a job after they graduated. Wonder if they got fed up then started working a McDonalds...

What are you talking about? You have made so many generalizations in one post.

Just because people do not respond does not mean they do not have jobs in industry. I know a few people with EEE degrees who have jobs in different industries (Marine, IT, etc.). Sure these jobs aren't easy to get, but as long as you have done all you can to make your CV attractive for prospective employers and applying to a range of employers you will eventually get one there is no doubt about that.

As for career progression that is usually down to the individual themselves. The better you are at doing your job well the easier it will be to progress onto bigger and greater things :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by trapking
What are you talking about? You have made so many generalizations in one post.

Just because people do not respond does not mean they do not have jobs in industry. I know a few people with EEE degrees who have jobs in different industries (Marine, IT, etc.). Sure these jobs aren't easy to get, but as long as you have done all you can to make your CV attractive for prospective employers and applying to a range of employers you will eventually get one there is no doubt about that.

As for career progression that is usually down to the individual themselves. The better you are at doing your job well the easier it will be to progress onto bigger and greater things :smile:

You say that but i've been applying for electrical jobs since I was 16, now i'm 22, the first few weeks I went to college I would apply to electricians, then got fed up with it, decided to move onto electrical engineers, applying even to their house, tried everything and I mean everything. I just think it's the biggest load of BS around, then once you get fed up with all these BS employers people start to say you have a bad attitude. But wouldn't they if they spent all these years wishing someone would give them a chance? I always show a good attitude to employers and that i'm keen. But we're entitled, lazy, bad attitude, not good enough CV and we only complain etc.I talked to electricians years ago, heard they said that he talked to a uni professor about electrical engineering, he basically said "You spend a lot of time and a lot of money, to find at the end of it there's no job for you.".

Look on indeed for "graduate electrical engineer", "electrical engineer", "electrical design engineer", "junior electrical engineer" and you will find they either want a degree or experience, and I bet out of all those candidates with degrees, they'd take the one that had some experience.

This is what I've tried:
Junior and Graduate roles on Indeed
Internships
Apprenticeships
Work Experience
Volunteer Work
Pursuing my degree until I got stopped and told I needed a job.
Electrical Technician Roles
Electrician Roles
Electronic Roles

It seems to me we have all these students going to uni all enthusiastic like I was, then afterwards they realize there's no job for them, then they decide to shut up, if they had jobs in EE they'd be commenting here wouldn't they? There are those few that luckily managed to land a job through nepotism, but for most of us it doesn't work like that.And by the way I've been training a web developer for the last 2 years, got much more interviews than I ever did in EE, seems like a BS industry to me, the jobs are in china and india, not here, nobody wants to take anyone on unless they can do it from the get go, why would they take on inexperienced people when they have a handful of people they can choose from with experience? It costs them to train you up.
(edited 7 years ago)
You say that but i've been applying for electrical jobs since I was 16, now i'm 22, the first few weeks I went to college I would apply to electricians, then got fed up with it, decided to move onto electrical engineers, applying even to their house, tried everything and I mean everything. I just think it's the biggest load of BS around, then once you get fed up with all these BS employers people start to say you have a bad attitude. But wouldn't they if they spent all these years wishing someone would give them a chance? I always show a good attitude to employers and that i'm keen. But we're entitled, lazy, bad attitude, not good enough CV and we only complain etc.I talked to electricians years ago, heard they said that he talked to a uni professor about electrical engineering, he basically said "You spend a lot of time and a lot of money, to find at the end of it there's no job for you.".

Look on indeed for "graduate electrical engineer", "electrical engineer", "electrical design engineer", "junior electrical engineer" and you will find they either want a degree or experience, and I bet out of all those candidates with degrees, they'd take the one that had some experience.

This is what I've tried:
Junior and Graduate roles on Indeed
Internships
Apprenticeships
Work Experience
Volunteer Work
Pursuing my degree until I got stopped and told I needed a job.
Electrical Technician Roles
Electrician Roles
Electronic Roles

It seems to me we have all these students going to uni all enthusiastic like I was, then afterwards they realize there's no job for them, then they decide to shut up, if they had jobs in EE they'd be commenting here wouldn't they? There are those few that luckily managed to land a job through nepotism, but for most of us it doesn't work like that.And by the way I've been training a web developer for the last 2 years, got much more interviews than I ever did in EE, seems like a BS industry to me, the jobs are in china and india, not here, nobody wants to take anyone on unless they can do it from the get go, why would they take on inexperienced people when they have a handful of people they can choose from with experience? It costs them to train you up.

Firstly I don't know what your background qualifications are...

Secondly why you taking all your frustration out on me :lol:

I am assuming you have at least a BEng degree in EE or EEE. If you don't then of course applying to those jobs will be hard its common sense. If you want to work as an electrical design engineer you will need a degree in electrical engineering that's a given...sure there may be some instances where someone might have done an apprenticeship and learned the trade but this isn't very common.
I graduated from an Electronics MEng degree last year and I literally know no one from my cohort who is not either working or pursuing further education at this point in time, so I think the market for EEE is fairly strong.

If you graduated with a HNC then why do you apply for graduate roles? It's a waste of time just focus on HNC level roles or if you feel the market for HNCs is very weak then consider pursuing an EE or other engineering degree.
Reply 7
Original post by trapking
Firstly I don't know what your background qualifications are...

Secondly why you taking all your frustration out on me :lol:

I am assuming you have at least a BEng degree in EE or EEE. If you don't then of course applying to those jobs will be hard its common sense. If you want to work as an electrical design engineer you will need a degree in electrical engineering that's a given...sure there may be some instances where someone might have done an apprenticeship and learned the trade but this isn't very common.

Sorry bruv, the speed makes me so ****ing low when i'm not on it.

I just think that everyone hates me and won't give me a job or let me progress because of it. All the more popular kids got good jobs, people like me are just left to rot alone IMO. And when I go to these interviews I just get the sense that they don't even like me, few people do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by History98
I graduated from an Electronics MEng degree last year and I literally know no one from my cohort who is not either working or pursuing further education at this point in time, so I think the market for EEE is fairly strong.

If you graduated with a HNC then why do you apply for graduate roles? It's a waste of time just focus on HNC level roles or if you feel the market for HNCs is very weak then consider pursuing an EE or other engineering degree.

That's what they said at college on their advert, that %99 of people were either working on pursuing higher education, but they don't say how much have electrical engineering jobs, and how much do those people even get paid. It would be nice if we had all the statistics so I could make the investment (you have to think of it like an investment). I am skeptical at the moment if I will even get a job at the end of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's what they said at college on their advert, that %99 of people were either working on pursuing higher education, but they don't say how much have electrical engineering jobs, and how much do those people even get paid. It would be nice if we had all the statistics so I could make the investment (you have to think of it like an investment). I am skeptical at the moment if I will even get a job at the end of it.

Have you had a look on Unistats? It has a lot of information on average graduate salaries and it also has information on graduate destinations. Note that the data on Unistats gives aggregate values from survey respondents not the entire graduate population, the response rate is reasonably high though so the information is reliable.

The typical salary for Electronics graduates should is about £28K. The major target graduate schemes that Electronics graduates usually target e.g ARM, Imagination Technologies e.t.c pay circa £33K. Electrical engineers also average around £28K. The proportion pursuing further study varies from Uni to Uni but I would estimate it to hover around 15-20%, see unistats for detailed breakdowns.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry bruv, the speed makes me so ****ing low when i'm not on it.

I just think that everyone hates me and won't give me a job or let me progress because of it. All the more popular kids got good jobs, people like me are just left to rot alone IMO. And when I go to these interviews I just get the sense that they don't even like me, few people do.

Don't have that mindset, it's not a good one to have. If you have an interview then just do the best you can but also learn from past mistakes. Don't just keep doing the same things and hope for a different result....as Einstein once famously said.

If you have an HNC then as History98 said in his above post don't waste your time applying for graduate jobs or roles that require actual degrees because you will get nowhere. They are universities that offer top up BEng degrees if you have done an HNC I would highly suggest you take this route and I promise you'll get a job once you complete it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you had a look on Unistats? It has a lot of information on average graduate salaries and it also has information on graduate destinations. Note that the data on Unistats gives aggregate values from survey respondents not the entire graduate population, the response rate is reasonably high though so the information is reliable.

The typical salary for Electronics graduates should is about £28K. The major target graduate schemes for Electronics graduates usually target e.g ARM, Imagination Technologies e.t.c pay circa £33K. Electrical engineers also average around £28K. The proportion pursuing further study varies from Uni to Uni but I would estimate it to hover around 15-20%, see unistats for detailed breakdowns.

I'm jelly. Why are mechanical engineers paid so low :lol: sometimes I wish I did electrical engineering just for the bants :biggrin:
I'm a mechanical engineer rather than electrical, but it sounds like you're trying to get a graduate level job without a degree, in which case you're going to struggle! I don't know many electrical engineers but those I do certainly didn't struggle to get jobs.
Reply 13

The typical salary for Electronics graduates should is about £28K. The major target graduate schemes that Electronics graduates usually target e.g ARM, Imagination Technologies e.t.c pay circa £33K. Electrical engineers also average around £28K. The proportion pursuing further study varies from Uni to Uni but I would estimate it to hover around 15-20%, see unistats for detailed breakdowns.

Does it show what percentage of students with electrical engineering degrees get jobs in EE and how much those people with jobs get paid?

If you are to make an investment you need information before hand, without this information on how many students of EE come out with EE jobs, it's speculation (the worst thing for an investor), professional investors don't go on what they're told to do, they would take into consideration all this before going to uni, how much students with EE degress got the job and how much they earned after university etc. I've noticed colleges like to kind of hide this information by saying something like "99% of students come out with jobs or go onto further education." which could mean 95% of students didn't get a job, but continued because they couldn't find a job, do you know what I mean?

It's just stupid to go based off of hearsay that EE's are paid well, only when I have clear data can I be sure, and it would put me in a better mood knowing rather than speculating that I would be paid well when I came out of university.

I don't mean to be *****y, I just get annoyed when the message isn't clear, when nobody wants to just say it as it is, anyone putting down money deserves this kind of information.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
It's just stupid to go based off of hearsay that EE's are paid well, only when I have clear data can I be sure, and it would put me in a better mood knowing rather than speculating that I would be paid well when I came out of university.

http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Electrical_Engineer/Salary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it show what percentage of students with electrical engineering degrees get jobs in EE and how much those people with jobs get paid?

Yes, Unistats shows the percentage of survey respondents who got jobs and also the average salary those graduates are getting. As I mentioned before, you also need take into account the response rate when analysing the data on a particular course. If you can't find any information you need or if you need data from previous years then you can go directly to the HESA website and look for the information over there.

If you are to make an investment you need information before hand, without this information on how many students of EE come out with EE jobs, it's speculation (the worst thing for an investor), professional investors don't go on what they're told to do, they would take into consideration all this before going to uni, how much students with EE degress got the job and how much they earned after university etc. I've noticed colleges like to kind of hide this information by saying something like "99% of students come out with jobs or go onto further education." which could mean 95% of students didn't get a job, but continued because they couldn't find a job, do you know what I mean?

I don't mean to be *****y, I just get annoyed when the message isn't clear, when nobody wants to just say it as it is, anyone putting down money deserves this kind of information.

Information is not blurred, data is given on how many students went onto work AND also how many students went onto further education. Just look around for the information on Unistats and you will be able to find it.

It is also not hearsay that EE grads get paid well, it's well documented, the major EE grad schemes pay over £30K and a healthy portion of grads from top universities able to get into those. For example data from the DLHE showed that over a third of ECS grads at Southampton have starting salaries of at least £30K and only about 14% of students go onto further education. [source].
Reply 16
Yes, Unistats shows the percentage of survey respondents who got jobs and also the average salary those graduates are getting. As I mentioned before, you also need take into account the response rate when analysing the data on a particular course. If you can't find any information you need or if you need data from previous years then you can go directly to the HESA website and look for the information over there.

Information is not blurred, data is given on how many students went onto work AND also how many students went onto further education. Just look around for the information on Unistats and you will be able to find it.

It is also not hearsay that EE grads get paid well, it's well documented, the major EE grad schemes pay over £30K and a healthy portion of grads from top universities able to get into those. For example data from the DLHE showed that over a third of ECS grads at Southampton have starting salaries of at least £30K and only about 14% of students go onto further education. [source].

Thanks for that. I had thought I was screwed because I remember the electricians talking on their forum saying that he talked to a professor who said it wasn't even worth it, they must be talking *******s, I think they were negative anyway. And I genuinely thought they were right as I've been applying to loads of companies and failing, in the past I applied to loads of electricians, never got a chance, I don't know why. But like one or two people at college had a job.

Do you think it could be something personal about me to why i'm not getting the job? I don't have a bad attitude at interviews, am a bit shy and socially anxious but I doubt that has much to do with it as many nerds have these electronics jobs. Even this week I sent out loads of applications to electrical technicians having a HNC in Electrical Technology and haven't got one response back. I do usually get responses back when I apply for web developer jobs, even had a few interviews.Will everything change once I get that degree?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest