The Student Room Group

AS/A-level Statistics (AQA or MEI)

Hi, Has anybody got any experience with this? I wasn't aware that it was even a thing until recently and am considering entering myself as a private candidate for it for next year (self taught). (Reason being, I'm toying with applying for maths PGCEs next year, haven't done anything mathematical for a while (I graduated a while back), and stats has always been a pretty major gap in my maths knowledge). I work full time, so would've thought the AS would be certainly doable, and perhaps the A2 if I'm organsied enough with my free time. Any insights would be welcome. Ta!
Original post by Lolgarithms
Hi, Has anybody got any experience with this? I wasn't aware that it was even a thing until recently and am considering entering myself as a private candidate for it for next year (self taught). (Reason being, I'm toying with applying for maths PGCEs next year, haven't done anything mathematical for a while (I graduated a while back), and stats has always been a pretty major gap in my maths knowledge). I work full time, so would've thought the AS would be certainly doable, and perhaps the A2 if I'm organsied enough with my free time. Any insights would be welcome. Ta!

MEI is more rigorous as they tend to vary their questions quite a lot in order to test your understanding, whereas AQA exams are somewhat more formulaic and predictable. It is important to be aware that much of statistics at A-Level, whether part of A-Level Maths or A-Level Statistics, is just going through the steps of a hypothesis test or looking up probabilities in a distribution table: quite boring stuff, in my view.

Quick Reply

Latest