The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NNB_Herath
Did anyone get all A's for ALL UNITS ( if so how many ) ??

Not quite an A in every unit but A grades in 7/8 units!
Results

Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A

Further Maths: Predicted B / Achieved A

Physics: Predicted C / Achieved A

Economics: Predicted B / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
Screw the system yay

Future ambitions
not got that far yet

I did, A's in all 9 modules, excluding the 2 A's I got in my physics end of year mocks (but it was the actual AS paper for this year)
Original post by TobyReichelt
Results

Maths: Predicted B / Achieved B

Physics: Predicted A / Achieved D

English: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
Lol. Physics was a cock-up and a half. But it's the reformed Physics so I don't have to take notice of this grade! I sit the same exams next year in Physics so I'm all good. Maths and English have pleased me immensely and I hope that now I can go on to achieve AAAaa with the As in Comp Sci, Maths, and Physics, and the as in Further Maths and English (I already have one of those two as!)

Future ambitions
Oxford University. I'm yet to do my Computer Science A2 exam as that's a 2-year thing. Maths at Oxford. Failing that, Loughborough, York, Exeter, or (Heaven forbid) Lincoln. Later then to work at my current company, Software Europe, continuing to be their developer.

LOL physics was an absolute JOKE! Got a C and B for maths. I need at least a A at A2 for physics. do you think we will be able to pull this up?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Results

Maths: Predicted B / Achieved B (3 UMS off an A :angry:)

Physics: Predicted A / Achieved A

Chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A

Computer Science: Predicted B / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
Pretty much every Physics course needs an A in Maths... definitely going to try a lot harder in Maths. Got a bit too complacent. Happy with the other three results though ofcourse.

Future ambitions
Physics at St Andrews is the number 1 goal. I'm guaranteed offers from York and Edinburgh (I'll explain if needs be) so I'll be applying there too. Also gonna apply to Nottingham. Not sure about my 5th choice, but it might be Oxford or Imperial as a just seeing if I could get in kinda thing.

How did u revise for Chem and Phys???? Congrats on ur amazing grades btw i am jealous!

Yep, A's in 10/10 modules, and above 91 (UMS / Raw) in 7/10 modules.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Original post by *****.craft
How did u revise for Chem and Phys???? Congrats on ur amazing grades btw i am jealous!

Thank you! I made sure I kept up in each lesson and if I struggled with something in particular I'd stay back (our teachers held extra drop-in sessions on Wednesday for Chemistry and Thursday for Physics) and make sure I got to grips with it. I'd also use the CGP revision guide to make notes on each topic, do a load of questions on that topic, and then 'refine' my notes them throughout the year. Since I'd been refining my notes so much throughout the year, by the time it came to exams I could pretty much construct my notes from memory.
Original post by blue2337
Hey! I got 4 As and it kind of depends whether you're humanities or sciencey, but I'm humanities so I can give you tips for that.

I broke it down into 'stages' throughout the year. First stage - September-December; second - December-January (mocks); third - post mocks-Easter; fourth - Easter-beginning of study leave; fifth - study leave-night before the exam.

First stage:
- This is when you first get back to school. I don't know which year you're going into so I'll leave it vague, but for me looking forward to A2s this year using the methods I developed at GCSE/AS. I plan to timetable out all my frees this year and actually use them for work, they're your best shot at what is essentially free time! Since this year I'm focusing on coursework up to December, I'll spend roughly 50% of my frees in the library working on the coursework, and the other half chatting and being around friends. The balance may change, depending on how heavy coursework gets. At this point there's no need to give up lunchtimes etc, just using frees well. Completing homework is a must, and trying to make your essays a very high standard so you can use them later, finding websites and resources for your essays so that they contain a high level of analysis/information. At AS, this first stage is all about making sure your work is neat and tidy, you always complete homework to a high standard, and you create word documents which contain all the links to anything interesting you've read that is relevant to any of your subjects (eg. I created an english lit one where I pasted the links to all the good essays I've read between September to December). During this time it's vital that you're doing extra reading and research out of class.

Second stage:
- Revising over Christmas sucks butt but it's unavoidable. I bought a giant planner and timetabled my revision that way, setting aside days for being with family/friends, but aimed to do little bits of reading every night. For instance, I aimed to complete 30 minutes of history reading every night over the break, and by the end I'd read the whole textbook briefly. Forcing yourself to stick to a schedule is tough but it's a necessary evil here. I can't give you tips on how to actually revise because that would be another 12 paragraphs long, but essentially you need to ask your teachers for a checklist of the things you'll be tested on in mocks and ONLY LEARN THOSE THINGS. I spent half a day teaching myself the Korean war before realising it didn't come into our AS history spec! Don't make the mistake of writing detailed notes about say, photosynthesis, before realising that you don't need to know it. The real exams will require the real revision, but mocks are all about emergency learning on a need-to-know basis. If you're doing English, mocks are a great time to organise all the essays you've done so far and type up a couple of phrases from the essays which have scored highly, and make notes of particular features you've analysed. I once wrote a really great section about a particular quote and I memorised that, and when it came up in the AS exam I wrote down what I'd been writing all year and it made me panic so much less in the exam! However I do not recommend doing that as your plan A because if the wrong question comes up you'll panic if you've just memorised all your analysis! In short, mocks are about long term cramming. Use this time to flag up any areas you're not sure about.

Third stage:
- Everyone has that post mocks slump where they're either depressed with their DDEU grades or discouraged with the B they spent so long trying to surpass. At AS or A2, I've known hundreds of people who get these low grades and end up with AAAA or A*A*A*. LOW GRADES ARE NORMAL, so don't let it put you off. I got AAAA in mocks though, so I can't speak for others. However, after mocks you've got your first indication of what you know and how you're able to perform in exams. For me, I found that I panicked in the English exam and only scraped an A, so I made an effort to practice under timed conditions so that the actual exam wouldn't seem so daunting (it worked, I got 119/120). Talk to your teachers between now and Easter so that when you go away over prime revision time, you won't be stumped on a particular topic. Start using the afternoons and evenings to look over notes, keep your revision tidy, and keep doing extra research and documenting it in the same place as you kept your extra revision during the first stage. This is also a good point to look into extra-curriculars like 'Biology Club' or 'Maths Helpers' because there's not too much pressure but equally you'll need to focus academically. Spend perhaps 1 lunchtime a week just studying in the library, finishing off an essay or reading a textbook. It'll get you into the habit of studying at school, which you will need to do after Easter if you want to get high grades.

Fourth stage:
- This will get really hectic and stressful so keep your head at this point. All your frees now should be devoted to work, or revision, or extra reading, and a couple of lunchtimes should be spent talking to teachers or having a 'study group' with friends. You should be doing extra work, writing extra essays and making extra notes. Make group chats with your class and share all your notes and essays so you don't need to just rely on yourself. This is the time when you should be doing practice papers - don't do all the practice papers before mocks because you'll get to this stage and you'll have none left and won't have used the resources effectively. Revisit all the essays and sites you noted down in September and make notes on them, reread them, discuss them with your teachers and include them in your essays. This is what will be getting you the top grades, and the top UMS/raw marks.

Fifth stage:
- Every student's favourite word: "cramming". I swear down, cramming is what got me through my AS exams. By this time you will have built a solid foundation upon which you can spend your study leave time wisely, but in all seriousness, the night before and the morning of the exam are your best friends. What I did was spend the day before reading and rereading past essays and notes, revisiting essay structures, rereading quotes etc; these things are already embedded in your brain if you've been following your plans from before, but rereading them will refresh them in your mind. I promise you you won't remember them 10 minutes after getting out of the exam, but when you're in the exam hall it'll all be there. Then, I would ring my friend at say, midnight, and we'd chat through anything we could think of, revising essay structures and talking about how we'd analyse particular things. It always helps to say things out loud, and when you're tired you automatically say weird s**t and sometimes it can be the stroke of genius you need to get the high marks. And, talking to a friend will calm you down and stop you stressing (hopefully) and by the end you'll be so exhausted you'll fall asleep easily, dreaming about Henry VIII's foreign policy aims.

This. This is how I got 10 A*s, 4 As with an average raw mark of 93%. If it helps you, you're welcome. If it doesn't, it might help someone else. Good luck!!!!

Omg please tell me how you revise history! I'm so desperate to get a good grade in it, and find it really hard to work for. :s-smilie:
Original post by Babs Posh
Omg please tell me how you revise history! I'm so desperate to get a good grade in it, and find it really hard to work for. :s-smilie:

Yeah of course, which history course are you doing??? I can PM you notes if we're doing the same stuff, or just general tips :smile:
Original post by blue2337
Yeah of course, which history course are you doing??? I can PM you notes if we're doing the same stuff, or just general tips :smile:

Me too! Congrats on 4A's :smile:
Reply 670
Original post by Chittesh14
I think you should be confident for the interview and nervous for MAT lol. But, let's see how it goes. Keep us updated lol, interviews are meant to be different and easy. Everyone has different strengths, so you won't get discredited for an offer if you perform bad in the interview, unless it's really BAD!

Should I??? I do find a trend of the mat getting harder every year but I do find the interview more intimidating😨 Are you preparing for Oxford Maths as well??
Results:
Philosophy and ethics: predicted C Grade: D
Applied Science: predicted: D Grade: E
History (dropped) : predicted: U. Grade E
English Lit is linear

Comment: disappointed is an understatement, I know how much I need to work from September

Aspirations: criminology at either Greenwich or Manchester - hope to become a detective/criminologist/forensic scientist
Original post by mithi98
Results

Biology : Predicted A/ Achieved A

Chemistry : Predicted A / Achieved A

Maths:Predicted A / Achieved A

Spanish: Predicted A/ Achieved A

Italian: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions : I was literally shocked. Never expected 5A's, it was like a dream come true. I thought I completely failed AQA Chemistry as the first paper was impossible. Maths got 98/100 in C1, 95/100 in C2 and 81/100 in S1 (might resit the module)

Future ambitions: Hopefully medicine, I'm thinking of applying to UCL, King's , Queen Mary and Imperial.

Congratulations to everyone!

Well done!!! Same, I found the first chem paper impossible too (was convinced I failed it) so I was so surprised when I got an A. But then again it's probably the Low grade boundaries!
Original post by 17lina
Should I??? I do find a trend of the mat getting harder every year but I do find the interview more intimidating😨 Are you preparing for Oxford Maths as well??

To be honest, I was shocked at my GCSE results. They're phenomenal, but no way near Oxford lol. I'm never applying to Oxford but I think it's kinda common sense man!!!! MAT is like STEP - it's the hardest papers made for genius'. So, the interview is practically just questions about your personal statement and maybe testing a bit of your maths - those papers mean everything.
Original post by kiera28
Has anyone else seen their school get really awful results across the board or is that just mine?

Wondering if the exam boards have decreased the % of A's they're giving out but it doesn't look like that's the case on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were a few subjects in my school in which no one got an A and in English, for example, only 1 person out of around 70 got an A, considering there are a lot of people who were predicted As, myself included (English is my strongest subject)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosemondtan
Well done!!! Same, I found the first chem paper impossible too (was convinced I failed it) so I was so surprised when I got an A. But then again it's probably the Low grade boundaries!

Congratulations! What A levels do you do?
To be honest, I was shocked at my GCSE results. They're phenomenal, but no way near Oxford lol. I'm never applying to Oxford but I think it's kinda common sense man!!!! MAT is like STEP - it's the hardest papers made for genius'. So, the interview is practically just questions about your personal statement and maybe testing a bit of your maths - those papers mean everything.

MAT is nothing like STEP lol
Reply 677

Gcses? Do you mean last year's?? If its phenomenal I think you should give it a shot as well! I got 593/600 for the six modules for maths and further maths for AS this year, and I got a 65 for the MAT practice paper Ive done at school so though Im not confident I thoght it was worth a shot and I think you should consider it as well!
Original post by TheRandomGenius
MAT is nothing like STEP lol

No, I mean they are both papers to test mathematical abilities but from two different universities...
Original post by 17lina
Gcses? Do you mean last year's?? If its phenomenal I think you should give it a shot as well! I got 593/600 for the six modules for maths and further maths for AS this year, and I got a 65 for the MAT practice paper Ive done at school so though Im not confident I thoght it was worth a shot and I think you should consider it as well!

No, I just got my GCSE results today XD. I will be doing AS and Further Maths AS but I don't think I'll get 593/600 - no way... jheeze you're clever! I don't think I'm on that level to go to Oxford or Cambridge - I'll try :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest