The Student Room Group

Birmingham VS Nottingham VS Leeds - Chem Eng

Hey guys, so ive just done my AS and im just thinking about which uni i shoudl hopefully pick as my firm.

Im applying for Chem eng
i am applying to birmighan , nottingham , leeds , surrey and bradford

i am prety confident and hopeufl i will recieved offers from all 5 hopefully.

bradford will most definetly be my insurance at BBB

i am stuck which one to pick as my firm

Could people give any advice possibly?

its out of nottingham , birmigham and leeds

FYI - chemical engineering leageue ranking puts birmigham as 4th, nottingham as 11 and leeds at 12

some people have suggested to base my decison solely on this but i know thats not the right way.

thank you, this means a lot if you reply and help
Original post by MathSci1999
Hey guys, so ive just done my AS and im just thinking about which uni i shoudl hopefully pick as my firm.

Im applying for Chem eng
i am applying to birmighan , nottingham , leeds , surrey and bradford

i am prety confident and hopeufl i will recieved offers from all 5 hopefully.

bradford will most definetly be my insurance at BBB

i am stuck which one to pick as my firm

Could people give any advice possibly?

its out of nottingham , birmigham and leeds

FYI - chemical engineering leageue ranking puts birmigham as 4th, nottingham as 11 and leeds at 12

some people have suggested to base my decison solely on this but i know thats not the right way.

thank you, this means a lot if you reply and help

1) What did you get at AS compared to the entrance requirements of all five? (Depending on this, Bradford might be a mistake as an insurance.)

2) Which 'league ranking'? There are at least three British 'tables' and they are all different - and all of limited value.

3) Do any of the five offer the chance to do an integrated Master's? Or work in industry for a year? Or abroad?

4) How much variation is there in terms of modules between the five? Do one or two courses stand out?

5) What type of environment do you want to live in for three years?
Original post by ageshallnot
1) What did you get at AS compared to the entrance requirements of all five? (Depending on this, Bradford might be a mistake as an insurance.)

2) Which 'league ranking'? There are at least three British 'tables' and they are all different - and all of limited value.

3) Do any of the five offer the chance to do an integrated Master's? Or work in industry for a year? Or abroad?

4) How much variation is there in terms of modules between the five? Do one or two courses stand out?

5) What type of environment do you want to live in for three years?

1)At AS i got ABBB, and i will be predicted AAAA minimum, might be able to get predicted A*AAA, if i do very well in the fortnightly tests in maths. But AAAA prediction means i qualify the entry standard for all of them.
Also this ABBB i recieevd was from doing literally minimal work, and really bad attenedence and stuff due to various reasons , in fact i revised less for all my 4 AS leevls then i revised for my science gcse alone, much less, i revised for some exams the night before. So i am confident i could get the grades, thats not an issue imho

2) Complete university guide -

overall - nottingham (21), birmingham ( 15) and leeds 16
for chemical engineering - nottinghan - 11 , birm - 4, leeds -12

Guardian -
overall - nottingham (25) , birmingham ( 13), leeds (16)
for chemical engineering - nottingham ( 10) , birmingham ( 3 ) and leeds 4

times and sunday times good uni -

overall only

nottingham - 25,birmingham 17 and leeds 14

3- yes all 5 offer industrial year, but it is as an extra year, and i do intend on doing a 5 year masters inlcuding industry

4- nothing really stands out to me at this point in reality in terms of specific modules, all seem similar

5 - what do you mean by this ??

and thank you for answering and trying to help out, this means a lot :smile:
Original post by MathSci1999
1)At AS i got ABBB, and i will be predicted AAAA minimum, might be able to get predicted A*AAA, if i do very well in the fortnightly tests in maths. But AAAA prediction means i qualify the entry standard for all of them.
Also this ABBB i recieevd was from doing literally minimal work, and really bad attenedence and stuff due to various reasons , in fact i revised less for all my 4 AS leevls then i revised for my science gcse alone, much less, i revised for some exams the night before. So i am confident i could get the grades, thats not an issue imho

2) Complete university guide -

overall - nottingham (21), birmingham ( 15) and leeds 16
for chemical engineering - nottinghan - 11 , birm - 4, leeds -12

Guardian -
overall - nottingham (25) , birmingham ( 13), leeds (16)
for chemical engineering - nottingham ( 10) , birmingham ( 3 ) and leeds 4

times and sunday times good uni -

overall only

nottingham - 25,birmingham 17 and leeds 14

3- yes all 5 offer industrial year, but it is as an extra year, and i do intend on doing a 5 year masters inlcuding industry

4- nothing really stands out to me at this point in reality in terms of specific modules, all seem similar

5 - what do you mean by this ??

and thank you for answering and trying to help out, this means a lot :smile:

1. Can you envisage a scenario in which you don't achieve or get close to the standard offers from your 'top 4'? How badly would you have to perform to get BBB?

5. Would you prefer a campus uni? A city uni? North? South? Midlands?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
don't know much about the others but I have friends at Birmingham and Nottingham and they really enjoy it
I heard Birmingham's really good for engineering...
Original post by ageshallnot
1. Can you envisage a scenario in which you don't achieve or get close to the standard offers from your 'top 4'? How badly would you have to perform to get BBB?

5. Would you prefer a campus uni? A city uni? North? South? Midlands?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think to get 3 B, i would have to have done mininal work all year long, with poor attendecne and the day before the exam get no sleep at all and the exams also contain stuff that i didnt revise.

5. I am not qite sure, i see a benfit in a city, as theirs more to do but i also see the benifit in a small city as its a closer knit community

north, south, midland doestn reallt matter, either way i am moving out and apart from surrey all the other 4 are between 2-3 hours on the train so its fine i suppose
Original post by sdotd
don't know much about the others but I have friends at Birmingham and Nottingham and they really enjoy it

Ahh thanks for the imput, i guess thats why i am struggling to choose, they both are really good

Original post by asiansloth
I heard Birmingham's really good for engineering...

Yh same, the tables also reflect this, escpecially for chem eng, but the 3 are similar i suppose in a way
what did you end up going for?

Latest

Trending

Trending