The Student Room Group

Want to to get 4 remarks

Scroll to see replies

Hey i was thinking of getting History and RE remarked. But i dont know how we werent given any forms?
Original post by BasicMistake
It should have a cover page with the marks for each question you did. There will also be brief comments on the questions themselves, especially where you lost marks. It's a good way of evaluating whether you want a remark. If you feel that it's been marked harshly then apply for a remark.

One word of warning, don't let denial and false hope cloud your judgement. It's not you who will be marking your script but a bored examiner. If you're not sure whether a question is deserving of extra marks, assume it doesn't. However, if you got 0 out of 7 but you feel that some of the stuff you wrote was relevant and ought to get credit then you can guess you are owed a couple of marks.

Also remember to consider the exam as a whole. You might get 3 extra marks for one question but you may lose those 3 marks elsewhere.

Hi again. I checked on the AQA website about photocopies of scrips and it says you can't even request one for GCSE... Were you talking about A levels ?
How do you guys know how many marks you were off?
Hi guys, in all 3 of my sciences I was 3 marks from an A*. I'm happy with an A grade but as I want to go into medicine I was really hoping for the A* grades and I'm unsure whether to get them remarked
for chemistry I got 40 and need 43,to drop down to a B I would need to loose 5 marks
for biology I got 30 and need 33,to drop down a grade I would need to loose 4 marks
for physics I got 32 and need 36,this is 4 marks id need and I'm 9 marks away from a lower grade
do you think any of these are worth remarking?? I'm pretty happy with 3 A's but if an A* was possible that would be great
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thepewds_
Hi again. I checked on the AQA website about photocopies of scrips and it says you can't even request one for GCSE... Were you talking about A levels ?

Oh they don't do them for GCSE? I assumed they did because another poster gave this very advice.

In that case it becomes more of a lottery if you want to remark it. Does your school have data for each student's papers and the individual marks for each question?
Oh they don't do them for GCSE? I assumed they did because another poster gave this very advice.

In that case it becomes more of a lottery if you want to remark it. Does your school have data for each student's papers and the individual marks for each question?

No not this year. The rules have changed. I'm not sure if my school does. I've emailed the exams officer at my school but he won't reply to me. I really really want an A*... I want to go to Cambridge to read Medicine :frown: I guess it's all over
No not this year. The rules have changed. I'm not sure if my school does. I've emailed the exams officer at my school but he won't reply to me. I really really want an A*... I want to go to Cambridge to read Medicine :frown: I guess it's all over

When did you email the exams office? Wait until tomorrow to see whether you get a reply, I won't be surprised if a lot of other students are also sending emails. Also send an email to your subject teacher, they are more likely to know.

Can I ask what your grades are?
When did you email the exams office? Wait until tomorrow to see whether you get a reply, I won't be surprised if a lot of other students are also sending emails. Also send an email to your subject teacher, they are more likely to know.

Can I ask what your grades are?

This afternoon. Okay... And yes definitely, but I only did two this year as I'm in year 10 going into year 11. I did R.E. and Psychology. I got an A* in R.E. and an A in the latter as I've mentioned before.
This afternoon. Okay... And yes definitely, but I only did two this year as I'm in year 10 going into year 11. I did R.E. and Psychology. I got an A* in R.E. and an A in the latter as I've mentioned before.

Year 10? You're well ahead of the pack so keep striving for your dream.

Oxbridge have a recommendation of 6 or 7 A* grades at GCSE. Beyond that is irrelevant, someone with 8 A* grades will be just as likely to get into Oxbridge as someone with 12. I'm assuming you will be doing around 10 GCSEs in total? Nonetheless you are on course for the required GCSEs.

Universities are more concerned with your A Levels and the grades you get there.
Year 10? You're well ahead of the pack so keep striving for your dream.

Oxbridge have a recommendation of 6 or 7 A* grades at GCSE. Beyond that is irrelevant, someone with 8 A* grades will be just as likely to get into Oxbridge as someone with 12. I'm assuming you will be doing around 10 GCSEs in total? Nonetheless you are on course for the required GCSEs.

Universities are more concerned with your A Levels and the grades you get there.

Yes you are right, I am doing 10 GCSEs. I'm going to try my absolute best next year to make sure I get the grades I want. It's a matter of not only what Oxbridge requires but also what I believe I have the potential to achieve. I am inherently competitive which makes me even more ardent about grades. It sounds silly but it is what it is.

But seriously, you have no idea how relieved I am after reading that. Speaking to you has helped me more than starting a thread and posting in so many other threads. I am so so obliged.
Original post by saraxh
is it worth getting a remark if i'm 1 & 3 mark away?

I'm 3 ums off an A in physics and 4 ums of an A in biology. I'm considering on remarking biology due to the fact that I feel like I have done much better, but yes you should get a remark
Yes you are right, I am doing 10 GCSEs. I'm going to try my absolute best next year to make sure I get the grades I want. It's a matter of not only what Oxbridge requires but also what I believe I have the potential to achieve. I am inherently competitive which makes me even more ardent about grades. It sounds silly but it is what it is.

But seriously, you have no idea how relieved I am after reading that. Speaking to you has helped me more than starting a thread and posting in so many other threads. I am so so obliged.

I'm glad to be of help, everybody needs some advice every now and then. If you ever have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer as soon as possible.
Original post by 999tigger
Based on what evidence?

personal judgement. english rs and geog are opinion based and someone on another post told me that rs and english sort of subjects are easier to gain marks in
Original post by sfaraj
personal judgement. english rs and geog are opinion based and someone on another post told me that rs and english sort of subjects are easier to gain marks in

You really dont understand hwo the current remark system works at all.

Quick Reply

Latest