The Student Room Group

A level choices?

I want to become an investement banker and want to get a finance degree at lse. i am in year 10 going into year 11 and have just got 2A* in mathhs`(methods and apllications, counts as 2 GCSE's.) I have to make my A level choices when I get back. I am taking maths, further maths,politics and economics(do you guys think this will be good?) and I also want to find about the rules of further maths. Can you drop maths at AS and do further maths A level?( I dont want to maths and further maths at A level because LSE advised against doing so if your doing 3 A levels). Should I take 4 A levels then or should I drop further maths as AS level and will this be good enough for LSE?(obviously if they are A*'s and I am expected to get 7-10 A* at GCSE). Any feedback appreciated.
You cannot do Further Maths A2 without Maths at A2
LSE advised against doing Maths and FM? Really? It sounds like the best option for you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
LSE advised against doing Maths and FM? Really? It sounds like the best option for you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is directly taken from the website for their finance degree
The selectors are looking for students with strong analytical abilities and a high level of numeracy. A level Mathematics (or equivalent) is therefore a compulsory requirement. In addition to Maths, the selectors prefer to see subject combinations which indicate that you possess both analytical and writing abilities. Subjects which appear as common post-16 choices are Economics; Physics; History; Chemistry; Government and Politics. An additional qualification in Further Maths, at any level, if offered, is highly preferred as an indication of mathematical ability. However, we are aware that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Maths programme and find it helpful if applicants and/or their referees can indicate whether or not the applicant's school or college offers Further Maths classes. Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. Thus a combination of Maths, Further Maths and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills.
And do you think Economics, politics and A level maths( planning on doing AS further maths then dropping) will be good enough for LSE( assuming good grades)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nathan1276
And do you think Economics, politics and A level maths( planning on doing AS further maths then dropping) will be good enough for LSE( assuming good grades)

Well for that course those subjects sound good! Yeah take FM and if you think you can handle it to A2 keep it and if not just drop after AS. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest