The Student Room Group

Would I still be able to take Science A-levels

I was planning to take Biology and Chemistry A-Level but I only got a C in Core Science, I was six marks off a B and it was mainly due to mix up with the ISA since I had a substitute teacher. The Deputy Head of Education is supporting me in my argument. She is going to make an appeal to see if we can up the grade to a B. I think some colleges accept this. I got the best in the whole year in Science and my predicted grade was A* for both.

I also taught myself Additional Science after dropping it in Year 10 six months before the exam which shows my dedication to the subject. I got a B in the subject. The criteria is a double A for double Science but due to the situation could exceptions be made? Or should I look into Maths as an A Level or a more essay subject like Politics? I also could take Biology and Chemistry GCSE alongside the AS Levels. I'm also starting to reconsider taking Chemistry so should I take Biology and another option?

So do I have a chance or should I start looking into other options? Would it help if I only take Biology? Do you think with a instance like this exceptions can be made? I'm also taking English Lit and History as well.
I take English Lit, Chemistry and Biology at A level and am going into year 13 this September. I'm sorry there was a mix up with your ISA. I can't really say about your schools specific policies with exceptions for allowing you to study Biology and Chemistry but I know that some schools allow students with C's to take sciences at A level.

I can't say what subjects you should choose. If you want to pursue law then adding another essay subject would be better, but for a science degree then Biology and chemistry would be better.

If you would like some personal insight I love Biology and Chemistry and think you'd be perfectly capable as long as you worked hard. As everyone says A levels are about work and GCSE grades don't determine how well you'll do at them. Make sure you argue that case. :h: Good luck and feel free to ask questions!!
Reply 2
Original post by Natasha.Cole
I take English Lit, Chemistry and Biology at A level and am going into year 13 this September. I'm sorry there was a mix up with your ISA. I can't really say about your schools specific policies with exceptions for allowing you to study Biology and Chemistry but I know that some schools allow students with C's to take sciences at A level.

I can't say what subjects you should choose. If you want to pursue law then adding another essay subject would be better, but for a science degree then Biology and chemistry would be better.

If you would like some personal insight I love Biology and Chemistry and think you'd be perfectly capable as long as you worked hard. As everyone says A levels are about work and GCSE grades don't determine how well you'll do at them. Make sure you argue that case. :h: Good luck and feel free to ask questions!!

Thanks this so helpful. How is the workload balancing an essay subject with two science subjects? Do you any good online resources for Biology and English Literature? How much work is it for all three AS Levels?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Atticus88
Thanks this so helpful. How is the workload balancing an essay subject with two science subjects? Do you any good online resources for Biology and English Literature? How much work is it for all three AS Levels?

I thought the workload was okay, Free periods are definitely useful if you get them. :biggrin: I usually had between 2 and 3 essays a week. One for psychology and one or two for English and usually had to spend at least an hour on each. This was good because i didn't really get too much homework from Science, usually just past paper questions which would take about 30-60 mins per subject. I actually had 4 AS levels and coped well, although the jump for Chemistry and Biology is big between GCSE and A level. The work is reasonable up until exams, just revise early! I mainly used a text book for science or exam board specified apps. Make sure that you stick to your exam board as you don't want to have to learn extra/bad answers. I also used lots of online resources for English like Spark and York notes as well as any printed revision guides for Hamlet and Great Gatsby. Basically anything useful available. Just take good notes in class!! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest