The Student Room Group

Wish upon A*...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Yes! I'm finished! Now I have the whole summer to enjoy myself. I have some pre-year 12 prep to do before results day but apart from that I will be relaxing.

I considered clearing out all my notes and worksheets but if I end up having to retake I wouldn't have them, so they haven't been chucked away yet.

Hope everyone has a great summer and good luck on results day!
Reply 81
I got my results today and I am delighted to say that I got...

12 A*s WOOP WOOP

More to follow...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
Advice for future GCSE students!
(or what I wish someone had told me)

1. Never underestimate coursework.
Some of my teachers told me outright that coursework was really important. I don't think that I worked as hard on it as I could have done, especially in French and German. My PD teacher recommended I always keep my coursework up-to-date; this was advice I wished I'd heeded when it was hand-in day. Even if you're sure that you'll get that A* in an exam, you should still place lots of emphasis on acing your coursework - it makes life a lot easier and less stressful - trust me!

2. Never worry about a bad exam.
I came out of some of my exams an absolute wreck and started worrying about how I'd done and how I could possibly face failure. I shouldn't have done that. What's already happened has happened, and you'd be much better off thinking about your next exam and how you can do well on that one (or the next segment of your subject and how you can gain back any lost marks). I was almost sobbing because of my physical geography paper, and that turned out brilliantly! You should never worry about something that's in the past - look forward to the future.

3. Try to start revising as early as possible.
I can't stress this enough. I always intended to start revising after Christmas but I think in the end I didn't really put in that much effort. I wasn't even going at full speed during Easter. You always say to yourself that you could've worked harder, and that's still true for me. I wanted to mess around and watch films and go out when I should've been cracking down. It turned out all right, but to make sure my exams were completely watertight, I should have begun studying a LOT earlier.

4. Don't stop doing the things you love.
It's all right to put your hobbies on a back burner for exams, but keep that burner on. If I'd given up completely with my hobbies I don't know how I would've found time to calm down and stay energised. Yes, exams are important, but so is your well-being.

5. Try not to compare yourself to others.
It's your own personal best that counts, not what you look like next to others. If your friend from another school is doing 25 GCSEs and is also a world champion ping pong player, then good for them, but don't make yourself feel bad just because everyone else looks good. If you work hard and concentrate on your own work then you'll feel more confident about yourself - don't worry about others.

6. Don't worry if you have bad dreams about results day!
I actually had some pretty horrific dreams about possible results day - one of them involved the rain lashing down dramatically, my teacher sending me for counselling about my failures to a year 9 student who was more successful than me and my mum turning around and walking away into the distance when she heard about my grades. None of those things happened. The weather was good and it turned out okay. Once exams are over, there's no point worrying about them all the time - you're just stressing yourself out when you could be enjoying your super-long holiday!

7. Have fun!
It's not all doom and gloom - you may not like GCSEs and the exams period but hopefully you've dropped a few of the subjects you don't love and you're starting to focus yourself in the direction you want to keep heading in. You'll be doing new things, learning new stuff and maybe even having fun! No need to worry. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but make sure you enjoy the journey as well.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by glassriver

12 A*s WOOP WOOP

More to follow...

Wow congrats. My mans on brain steroids. Jk! You've worked hard and you deserved it. Keep doing this and trust me, you'll have a very bright future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by Chittesh14
Wow congrats. My mans on brain steroids. Jk! You've worked hard and you deserved it. Keep doing this and trust me, you'll have a very bright future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man! I was really happy when I found out... now it's just A levels to look forward to :smile:

12 A*s WOOP WOOP

More to follow...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Spoiler

Thanks man! I was really happy when I found out... now it's just A levels to look forward to :smile:

Good luck, they're a huge transition - often where people have vicissitude's of fortune :wink:. I'm joking, I'm sure you'll do well if you really work hard, obviously you'll do good - but you want to do the best :smile:!

12 A*s WOOP WOOP

More to follow...

Well done !! Will you be making an alevel thread ? x
Reply 88
Original post by nisha.sri
Well done !! Will you be making an alevel thread ? x

Thanks! I might be... I'm already looking with horror at my exams next May :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending