The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmosandy
lol what ?

In fairness although mostly tongue in cheek there is a lot of useless husband intelligent wife type comments in day to day life.

I worked retail before my current job, fair few women worked there. When I was around the till area doing things (didn't go on the till much, was mainly putting out stock and such) you'd get a lot of jokes from middle aged female customers towards the female staff members "well he's just a man he can't do anything right", "well he's a man what do you expect?" "you need a woman to sort it out!" etc etc, and I mean a lot, as in daily occurrence multiple times if I was around that area enough. Obviously it was all "hahaha" and I had to laugh along and be a good sport, but it did get irritating, especially when I was there to fix an error they'd made. Yet can you imagine a single utterance of the likes of "well she's just a woman...she's there to be pretty", even as a joke...yeah that's probably going to get you severely disciplined or cost you your job if it happened on multiple occasions
(edited 7 years ago)
The responses in this thread is so disheartening. I would expect better from today's generation. My heart goes out to the trans people.

It is the parent's responsibility to teach the child about the world, but also what they do is to love their child unconditionally.

Note: if you wouldn't support your child, even to go far to disown them or abuse them, I firmly believe you shouldn't have a child, as your parenting skills are so lacking of kindness and acceptance.

[I would be so pleased at the fact that my child came out to me as it takes a lot of effort, bravery and trust to do that. I would accept them regardless and support them. Although it is going to be pain trying to get used calling my child their sudden change of gender pronouns and possibly, name]
Original post by joey11223
In fairness although mostly tongue in cheek there is a lot of useless husband intelligent wife type comments in day to day life.

I worked retail before my current job, fair few women worked there. When I was around the till area doing things (didn't go on the till much, was mainly putting out stock and such) you'd get a lot of jokes from middle aged female customers towards the female staff members "well he's just a man he can't do anything right", "well he's a man what do you expect?" "you need a woman to sort it out!" etc etc, and I mean a lot, as in daily occurrence multiple times if I was around that area enough. Obviously it was all "hahaha" and I had to laugh along and be a good sport, but it did get irritating, especially when I was there to fix an error they'd made. Yet can you imagine a single utterance of the likes of "well she's just a woman...she's there to be pretty", even as a joke...yeah that's probably going to get you severely disciplined or cost you your job if it happened on multiple occasions

Then don't except women to do all the cleaning/cooking because you don't want to as men and make the lower sex do it and drill into their heads that they should as women because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Oh, and this is not for every man who doesn't think this way but the way you men have set up a society dedicated to women to be the responsible of everything - so you could be justifiably lazy. And now you hate it, people call you out/streotyping men, well you made it, so deal with it lool
Original post by elmosandy
Then don't except women to do all the cleaning/cooking because you don't want to as men and make the lower sex do it and drill into their heads that they should as women because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Oh, and this is not for every man who doesn't think this way but the way you men have set up a society dedicated to women to be the responsible of everything - so you could be justifiably lazy. And now you hate it, people call you out/streotyping men, well you made it, so deal with it lool

ah...sorry thought I was dealing with a sensible poster, my mistake.

"this is not for every man"..."but the way you men".....in the same sentence, then "deal with it"...wow, so really you're no different.

Fyi I cook as I enjoy it and my partner isn't skilled in that department...and I wash the pots afterwards. Though I'll freely admit I never iron, I cause more creases than before it was touched.
surely being transgender is a mental illness, because if it was a biological thing (mutation etc) then it would have been stamped out by evolution as it is not beneficial to passing on genes as they don't reproduce?
It's not up to me to decide what my child can or cannot identify as. As long as it makes them happy and they are not harming others, then who am I to judge? A parent's love is supposed to be unconditional - if I refused to love my child because they identified as trans, then that makes me a pretty sh*tty parent.
yeah - brainwashing. Making people aware of severe emotional/mental/physical issues within themselves. how awful to try and be understanding and compassionate.

Are you being facetious or just ignorant?

Original post by Kyle1198

BUT the bit in bold - that's called victim blaming. By saying what you said, you're basically indirectly pre-empting and condoning the bullying which is never okay regardless of who/what someone is.

Or just an understanding of how society works. Like it or not they are opening themselves up to a lot of bullying and worse. No it is not a transgenders fault but that does not mean it wont happen.

Original post by ivybridge
No, the most loving thing to do is accept that your child is their own rationally autonomous being and that your religious drivel is your own beliefs, not your child's. If they make legally acceptable, non-harmful, and informed choices, then you cannot as a parent, not accept them. You need to accept them and love the child, regardless of your own qualms with those choices.

Makes me so mad even listening to you validate your points with religious nonsense. IT IS A BOOK CONSTRUCTED BY PRIESTS HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO TO MANIPULATE THE POPULATION INTO FOLLOWING WHAT THE CHURCH WANTED THEM TO FOLLOW, AND TO CONSOLIDATE POWER. STOP. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS FIGURE LIVES ON A CLOUD. IT IS YOUR BELIEF. IT IS NOT FACT. THERE'S BARELY ANY BACKING FOR ANY OF IT. LITERALLY JUST STOP.

Not all religious people are like that even those of the Abrahmmic faiths. Im celtic pagan (so we are very open about things like that anyway) my partner is a Methodist both of us are very strong advocates for equal rights for LGBT (she is also bisexual). I know if we have our own children we would be very open towards them no matter the issue.
(edited 3 years ago)
I would support them in any way I can.
Original post by silverbolt
yeah - brainwashing. Making people aware of severe emotional/mental/physical issues within themselves. how awful to try and be understanding and compassionate.

Are you being facetious or just ignorant?

Or just an understanding of how society works. Like it or not they are opening themselves up to a lot of bullying and worse. No it is not a transgenders fault but that does not mean it wont happen.

Not all religious people are like that even those of the Abrahmmic faiths. Im celtic pagan (so we are very open about things like that anyway) my partner is a Methodist both of us are very strong advocates for equal rights for LGBT (she is also bisexual). I know if we have our own children we would be very open towards them no matter the issue.

Cba to delete what doesn't apply to me.

I'm not saying transgenders won't get persecuted, he is absolutely right they are more likely to be bullied. I am saying the fact that they will is not a reason to be sceptical. You might as well say black people or gay people are 'opening' up themselves to bullying. That wording suggests victim blaming. We need to focus on reducing the persecution (and it's getting better, albeit not perfect) rather than get rid of an excuse for them to bully. People will persecute you for anything, so to say that having a certain characteristic will 'open' you up to persecution is a little insensitive
Original post by joey11223
ah...sorry thought I was dealing with a sensible poster, my mistake.

"this is not for every man"..."but the way you men".....in the same sentence, then "deal with it"...wow, so really you're no different.

Fyi I cook as I enjoy it and my partner isn't skilled in that department...and I wash the pots afterwards. Though I'll freely admit I never iron, I cause more creases than before it was touched.

who cleans the house and looks after the washing??

^ I mean men have created that stereotype because it's suited to them - they wanted to live carefree and make the women the sole responsible of the household - now men don't like it when they're being called lazy and not skilled? It's ridiculous. even if I wasn't a misogynistic man and liked to do cooking/cleaning I wouldn't blame women for deeming they're superior' because they think i'm unskilled, because I know my gender in time have created the stereotype because they wanted it.

It's not all men who think like this, some men actually protest against misogyny or sexism but when I mean ' but the way you men ' in a general i'm not talking about all men , i'm talking about men in a general term like ' white people have enslaved ' not saying all white people were slave owners, eh/
Oh, and if you actually quote someone's post reeking with misogyny with ' well men always get picked on at work for being unskilled it's done as a joke but it's kinda annoying ' ' then you're part of same problem, jerk.
Being honest, I would be very dissapointed. It's nothing personal, just how I would feel
I would be absolutely horrified and make it my duty to dissuade them from making the biggest mistake of their lives. It's like a living horror film...
Original post by Trapz99
"No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.

I would nail him to my cross.. he must pay for his sins
i'd probably hang myself
Original post by BasharAssad
i'd probably hang myself

a solution that works for everyone
A little off topic, but these people in the thread that ridicule opinions that don't agree with their own and then seem to think that they are standing on higher moral grounds are so disappointing. Oh I forgot, this isn't 2016, where people can express their opinions without being in fear of legal, social or physical repercussions. This is 2016, where the only opinions you can express is the ones that are politically correct (which is just fascism all dressed up with a bow) otherwise you're in danger of legal, social and physical repercussions . If so, how far have we really progressed? I'm aware that a society can go from one extreme to the other, a full circle back into a totalitarian state you thought you damned well moved on from.

Seriously, opinions cannot not harm someone physically; and if you are unable to the accept the possibility that someone holding an opinion other than your own, then I don't think you are fit to even be talking to people.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't disown them, but I would be very disappointed
It's amazing how many people are readily prepared to declare their own children dead to them before they are even born. Just based on something they don't agree on and in the end has nothing to do with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
It's amazing how many people are readily prepared to declare their own children dead to them before they are even born. Just based on something they don't agree on and in the end has nothing to do with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before they are even born?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Looks like someone's triggered loooool

why do you act like a 12 year old?

Latest