The Student Room Group

What happened with IGCSE English Language? Was it moderated down?

Did yours go down a lot?
Original post by Theplace
Did yours go down a lot?

Yes! I had full marks S&L and 48/50 for coursework. I would have got an A* but got a B due to moderation. Couldn't be more annoyed.
Reply 2
Original post by chloedobbs
Yes! I had full marks S&L and 48/50 for coursework. I would have got an A* but got a B due to moderation. Couldn't be more annoyed.

May I please ask what your exam mark was ?
I have similar
Will you challenge it ?
Did your school receive a moderator's report to confirm the markdown, amd how ma h points was each component marked down?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theplace
May I please ask what your exam mark was ?
I have similar
Will you challenge it ?
Did your school receive a moderator's report to confirm the markdown, amd how ma h points was each component marked down?

Unlike the other GCSEs I took, my results paper did not show me the break down of the components, but when I spoke to the English teachers they said the exam board brought down all the grades at the top level on the coursework. I don't know the breakdown. The school says they will do their best to challenge. Unfortunately, CIE are ruthless and a pain in the butt to deal with so it is unlikely that they will do anything. You cannot demand a remark personally - it has to be done through the school who will have to have every student's work remarked (not just yours) which the exam board are extremely unlikely to do. So although it's frustrating there's not much you can do other than get in touch with your teachers immediately to tell them you want it challenged.

Do you know how far your grade was brought down?
Reply 4
Unlike the other GCSEs I took, my results paper did not show me the break down of the components, but when I spoke to the English teachers they said the exam board brought down all the grades at the top level on the coursework. I don't know the breakdown. The school says they will do their best to challenge. Unfortunately, CIE are ruthless and a pain in the butt to deal with so it is unlikely that they will do anything. You cannot demand a remark personally - it has to be done through the school who will have to have every student's work remarked (not just yours) which the exam board are extremely unlikely to do. So although it's frustrating there's not much you can do other than get in touch with your teachers immediately to tell them you want it challenged.

Do you know how far your grade was brought down?

Thorough response. Thank you.
Ten marks
Reply 5

Annoyed?!
This is ridiculous
It's not even about grade boundaries.
Was your exam mark weak or strong?
Reply 6

So, it would have been better to have obtained a few marks less, and have an unchanged A grade, rather than an A. Obviosly, aiming high and succeeding is penalised by CIE.
You berough attention to yourself by putting in the work to get full marks.
This exam is designed for schools who want their pupils to get a pass, a C grade, which is likely why it was selected in my situation. It's for pupils who would not be able,to achieve a C with another board, such as OCR eg, CIE's sister board, or AQA. Since the giov started demanding a C pass, this little known English exam board appear to be catering to those schoolsmwho are just thankful to get a C, and the board is happy to take their money. This is a few hundred million £ industry. And the contract is with the school not the pupil, and as you said, they school cannot challenge one grade, without asking fo the entire cohort to be challenged, which opens up the school and Enflish department to scrutiny.
This exam board is not fior those who aspire to Oxbridge or medical school, This was an issue last year, taken up by top schools, however, one would assume that after that, the board would have ajusted accordingly. But mindy talks, and if they are making millions from pupils and school happy just to get a pass and move on, then why would they care about the top students, who exceed their 4 percent or 16 percent limit forhigh grades.

I will take Indonesian next time, I believe 90/100 are allowed to achieve A* s.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending