The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Cambridge

Recently received my AS results but they weren't as good as I was hoping.
I got 4 As in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and History and was thinking of dropping history and doing a further maths AS level in order to apply to Cambridge for Natural Sciences. However I only averaged 82% in Maths and I haven't found out my UMS for chemistry or physics yet. I intend to retake two maths modules because I know I can do better.
So would it still be worth applying?

I also got 11 A*s and 1 A for my GCSEs
Original post by Chedda
I got 4 As in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and History and was thinking of dropping history and doing a further maths AS level in order to apply to Cambridge for Natural Sciences. However I only averaged 82% in Maths and I haven't found out my UMS for chemistry or physics yet. I intend to retake two maths modules because I know I can do better.

It's definitely worth a go, it will only take up 1/5 spaces in your application and you still have straight As. You should ask this question when you have found out your UMS in your other subjects.

Also your school/college will take extra interest in your application if you apply to Cambridge due to the early deadline an the kudos the school gets for sending a student to an Oxbridge university. So your application will be glowing and out of the way sooner, so you can focus on your A2s. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Chedda

You wont get UMS for Chemistry or Physics. (Assuming you are in England.)

What was your module-by-module UMS for maths? I'm afraid 82 is definitely on the low side for NatSci but if it's being brought down by a rogue module then you might be ok.

You will also have the NatSci admissions assessment pre-interview to help strengthen your application.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_specification.pdf
With those GCSEs you should be looking at Oxford if the course there interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You wont get UMS for Chemistry or Physics. (Assuming you are in England.)

What was your module-by-module UMS for maths? I'm afraid 82 is definitely on the low side for NatSci but if it's being brought down by a rogue module then you might be ok.

You will also have the NatSci admissions assessment pre-interview to help strengthen your application.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_specification.pdf

Yes I am in England.

Also I got 78 in C1
85 in C2
83 in S1

I am definitely going to be retaking C1 because I know I can do so much better.
I was getting near full marks in all my mocks but on the day of the exam I just freaked. I'm quite confident about getting a 90 in C1 which would bring my average to 86. would that be enough?

Im also thinking about doing a STEP paper. Would that make a difference?
Reply 5
Original post by Chedda
Yes I am in England.

Also I got 78 in C1
85 in C2
83 in S1

I am definitely going to be retaking C1 because I know I can do so much better.
I was getting near full marks in all my mocks but on the day of the exam I just freaked. I'm quite confident about getting a 90 in C1 which would bring my average to 86. would that be enough?

Im also thinking about doing a STEP paper. Would that make a difference?

STEP wouldn't help because you won't have the results before you apply. The same comment applies to resitting C1.

I think realistically you may be more successful post A-level, but there's no harm applying this cycle and see what happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending