The Student Room Group

C in my English GCSE, will good uni's accept this?

Just got my GCSE results back, not too bad 8 As 2Cs but one of the Cs were in English Language (other was in Spanish so no biggie) , seen as I want to do Chemistry at uni and I'm picking chem,economics,bio and physics at A Level to apply for a good uni such as Surrey, Kings, Kent etc. Do they accept students with a C in English lang to study chemistry, or do they want a B/A? I'm probably worrying too much about this but I'd appreciate an answer, thanks.

//

ALSO: I just realised I was 3 ums off the B grade and am unsure whether to get it remarked, is it worth the risk?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CrazyFox3
Just got my GCSE results back, not too bad 8 As 2Cs but one of the Cs were in English Language (other was in Spanish so no biggie) , seen as I want to do Chemistry at uni and I'm picking chem,economics,bio and physics at A Level to apply for a good uni such as Surrey, Kings, Kent etc. Do they accept students with a C in English lang to study chemistry, or do they want a B/A? I'm probably worrying too much about this but I'd appreciate an answer, thanks.

I doubt they would be too bothered about English lang so long as you have a C at GCSE. My sister has gotten in to do dentistry at university, one of the harder courses available, and she only needed a C in English language at GCSE. I would have thought it unlikely that many science based degrees will want anything higher than a C.

If you're still worried I would check on the UCAS website at the entry requirements for university courses that you're interested in.

Also congratulations your results are really good Xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Name taken
I doubt they would be too bothered about English lang so long as you have a C at GCSE. My sister has gotten in to do dentistry at university, one of the harder courses available, and she only needed a C in English language at GCSE. I would have thought it unlikely that many science based degrees will want anything higher than a C.

If you're still worried I would check on the UCAS website at the entry requirements for university courses that you're interested in.

Also congratulations your results are really good Xx

Thank you for the help!
top science uni such as imperial i think requires an a*/A or B

Every course may specify its own requirements, so you will have to look at the courses you are interested in. If it specifies a B or an A, then it really will mean that as universities are much less flexible about GCSEs than A level requirements.

Do your research. It took me about a minute to discover that Surrey accept a C in GCSE English Language for Chemistry.
most universities require a C in GCSE English Language including Bath, Birmingham, Lancaster and Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending