The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE - C to B

How hard of a jump is from Grade C to Grade B? For someone who is not good at maths.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by HighFructose
How hard of a jump is from Grade C to Grade B? For someone who is not good at maths.

Thanks.

Are you still in school now and what is the reason for wanting to improve it? I wouldn't say its very hard, but you need to consider if it would be worth it, for example if doing A levels i would be solely concentrating on them as you're very unlikely to be limited because of the C in maths .
Reply 2
Not hard at all. You could easily jump from C to A tbh. You just need to put the work in. Do past papers every other week throughout the year, and you'll get an A or A*. Simples. Just make sure to mark the papers yourself, and assess where you went wrong with question you didn't get marks in.
That's very hard to answer, or quantify, I'm afraid. It can definitely be done with some hard work, perhaps speak to your teachers about what they think you can do to help get your grades up. For maths the best revision is past papers, past papers and more past papers, but your teachers may have some worksheets/exercises/websites that may be helpful :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Are you still in school now and what is the reason for wanting to improve it? I wouldn't say its very hard, but you need to consider if it would be worth it, for example if doing A levels i would be solely concentrating on them as you're very unlikely to be limited because of the C in maths .

Doing L3 IT BTEC in College, need it for Computer Science course (most decent universities ask for at least B grade) should I make it to university.

Thanks everyone for their answers above.
Reply 5
Doing L3 IT BTEC in College, need it for Computer Science course (most decent universities ask for at least B grade) should I make it to university.

Thanks everyone for their answers above.

Ah ok mate, fair enough, then it certainly is possible, with work put in! I'm also doing computer science and got a C at still a good respected uni, DMU, but you're right the even better ones ask for a B. I was thinking of doing a gap year but it wasn't worth it cause i new my maths was good enough as i could get an A now.
Reply 6

Thanks.

You can easily go from a C to A/A*. GCSE Maths is just one of those things where "practice makes perfect". It's quite simple how this whole process works. The more practice questions you do, the more familiar you get with the topic/question types. Make sure to always mark your answers, and make corrections on where you went wrong. If you literally do practice questions for 30 mins to an hour a day, you're literally guaranteed an A let alone a B. Take my advice buddy... This is the most effective way to get a good grade in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest