The Student Room Group

Can someone get prosecuted from dash cam footage?

Is it possible for a driver to get prosecuted from dash cam footage if they are overtaking a car in a town?
Dashcam footage can be used as evidence to support a case.

Common defences against such evidence that can result in it being deemed inadmissible include:
- Speed readings not professionally calibrated
- Timestamp incorrect
- Picture quality insufficient to clearly identify the accused (they may have claimed that it was not them driving the vehicle at the time, for example. Just capturing a number plate and vehicle image alone is not necessarily enough to be considered evidence against a particular person.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by XMaramena
Dashcam footage can be used as evidence to support a case.

Common defences against such evidence that can result in it being deemed inadmissible include:
- Speed readings not professionally calibrated
- Timestamp incorrect
- Picture quality insufficient to clearly identify the accused (they may have claimed that it was not them driving the vehicle at the time, for example. Just capturing a number plate and vehicle image alone is not necessarily enough to be considered evidence against a particular person.)

Can it be used to show the police a car over taking a car near a bend in a 30mph road? Can it be classed as dangerous driving?
Original post by sebnagy22
Can it be used to show the police a car over taking a car near a bend in a 30mph road? Can it be classed as dangerous driving?

I think police cars are allowed to do that in an emergency, as long as it doesn't endanger the public.
Original post by TimGB
I think police cars are allowed to do that in an emergency, as long as it doesn't endanger the public.
*I just made the same mistake. But OP actually says "Can it be used to show the police a car overtaking a car" *

And OP there is no law that says you can't overtake in a town, unless you're on solid whites. If you bring it to the police's attention, they may decide to forward it to CPS, and then CPS will review it and assess the chance of successful prosecution in court.

All in all, for what is likely just a bit of an idiot passing someone, going to all the trouble is likely going nowhere. Better just to upload it to youtube to name & shame.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sebnagy22
Is it possible for a driver to get prosecuted from dash cam footage if they are overtaking a car in a town?

Overtaking a car? thats not too big of a deal. I highly doubt someone would take the footage to the police and waste their time trying to prosecute someone unless there was damage caused as a result of the overtake.

Quick Reply

Latest