The Student Room Group
Medical School GCSE Requirements

Yes those grades are absolutely fine, well done :smile: Oxford seem more picky than Cambridge with GCSEs.
Reply 2
Oxford usually access using percentage of A*s achieved. You're definitely in with a chance but the C's may hamper you
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Medical School GCSE Requirements

Yes those grades are absolutely fine, well done :smile: Oxford seem more picky than Cambridge with GCSEs.

Original post by Flyer24
Oxford usually access using percentage of A*s achieved. You're definitely in with a chance but the C's may hamper you

Thanks guys. One of those A*'s included was a Cambridge National; a GCSE equivalent qualification. Will this count toward my A*'s? @Flyer24 the C was in Spanish, will it still hamper me if the GCSE is completely unrelated to medicine?
Original post by TheAnon121
Thanks guys. One of those A*'s included was a Cambridge National; a GCSE equivalent qualification. Will this count toward my A*'s? @Flyer24 the C was in Spanish, will it still hamper me if the GCSE is completely unrelated to medicine?

To be honest, Oxford is pretty much out of the question - they require lots of A*s at GCSE. Cambridge is a possibility but you will need to do very well at A-Level.

But the most important thing is that they're still good enough for most Medical Schools. It doesn't matter where you end up for Medicine - you'll hopefully become a doctor from wherever you go.
Guys, I got 10As and 2Bs, would this be fine for Cambridge if I do well in my A Levels?
Reply 6
Original post by dennissingh99
Guys, I got 10As and 2Bs, would this be fine for Cambridge if I do well in my A Levels?

It's not out of the question but would be a bit of an uphill struggle. The competition for medicine is high and most other applicants will have a high number of A*'s. Your grades are still good enough for medical school but unless you do extremely well in B-MAT/UKCAT and A-levels then your chances of cambridge are quite unlikely
Original post by TheAnon121
I got A*A*A*A*A*AAAABBC in my GCSEs today. The A*'s were in ICT, English lang, english lit, Biology and Chemistry - is there a chance I may be able to get oxbridge for medicine? Providing I achieved good A levels.

Original post by Flyer24
It's not out of the question

Oxford definitely is out of the question.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/proportion-a-gcse-2016-smaller

Cambridge might be possible depending on other factors like AS and bmat.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending