The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually aspire to be a recruiter?

I was browsing jobs on Indeed and some recruitment ones popped up, although I have no interest in joining that industry. What surprised me was that some of them were asking for graduates with 2:1 degrees, which made me wonder: won't most graduates with 2:1s and above have better options? I always thought that recruitment was similar to sales and involved cold calling and emailing, with strict targets. Not many people can handle sales jobs because of that.
Reply 1
What a dumbass question. Not everyone get the jobs they want and have to deal with what they get.. there are probably tons of graduates who are working in retail who would take being a recruiter.
Original post by Proflash
What a dumbass question. Not everyone get the jobs they want and have to deal with what they get.. there are probably tons of graduates who are working in retail who would take being a recruiter.

If you have done sales before (as I was duped into doing part-time as a Fresher), you'll know just how demoralising it is. Almost anything beats it, save being a cleaner, perhaps.
Reply 3
It's pretty much a job you do if you can't find anything better.
Reply 4
Original post by WBZ144
If you have done sales before (as I was duped into doing part-time as a Fresher), you'll know just how demoralising it is. Almost anything beats it, save being a cleaner, perhaps.

Wow that is such an ignorance is unreal.
Original post by WBZ144
I was browsing jobs on Indeed and some recruitment ones popped up, although I have no interest in joining that industry. What surprised me was that some of them were asking for graduates with 2:1 degrees, which made me wonder: won't most graduates with 2:1s and above have better options? I always thought that recruitment was similar to sales and involved cold calling and emailing, with strict targets. Not many people can handle sales jobs because of that.

Yes. And some make a killing because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gherk
It's pretty much a job you do if you can't find anything better.

For at least most of the part it is, I was just wondering whether there were people out there, (albeit a few) who want to work in recruitment.
My friend's brother studied law and went on to be a recruiter because he offered a better work/life balance and benefits package than the law firms he applied for. He loves his job.
Original post by Princepieman
Yes. And some make a killing because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the same with sales; someone with the right personality will make loads of money, but it seems like most people hate having to cold call and being yelled/sworn at. One would need incredibly thick skin.
To be fair, I would LOVE to work in recruitment... but only when my job is simple; writing and posting the advertisement, reading CV's, shortlisting candidates, holding telephone interviews, holding actual interviews, writing all the letters etc... would love it. My job being getting other people a job. Changing people's lives. Best feeling :biggrin: and they pay so well as well.

But unfortunately that's not how it seems to work anymore. The company's HR seems to do all that while all these "recruitment consultants" do is cold call to get more companies to use their database of clients. I'm not interested in cold calling at all. That's probably most of these jobs you've seen on Indeed as well, as I've seen them as well and think I know exactly what you mean.

Not like I'm qualified to work in recruitment anyway. Oh well.

Spoiler

The thing is though, regarding what J-SP said, it's only really a job for people who are obsessed with money, like completely obsessed.. When i was interested in it I found a vacancy for what looked like a dream recruitment job asking to ring them instead of submit a CV.. So i did, and they seemed quite impressed but somewhere down the conversation they asked about my ambitions and one of the things I mentioned was travelling, and they were just like "... Ah... Maybe this isn't the career for you then. We work for so many hours outside of work as well as inside that there's no chance you would have enough time to go travelling" and from there just kind of said think about what you want to do, if you're still interested email us.. which i did.. no reply.

That's what made me lose interest completely in recruitment. Why go out and earn that amount of money if it costs you the free time to spend it how you want? It's only really for people who's main goal in life is to drive to a nice job in a nice car before coming back to a nice house, and have tons and tons of money to throw into a nice big pile, which isn't my main goal in life.

So yeah. It's not for everyone, at all.
Original post by FightToWin
The thing is though, regarding what J-SP said, it's only really a job for people who are obsessed with money, like completely obsessed.. When i was interested in it I found a vacancy for what looked like a dream recruitment job asking to ring them instead of submit a CV.. So i did, and they seemed quite impressed but somewhere down the conversation they asked about my ambitions and one of the things I mentioned was travelling, and they were just like "... Ah... Maybe this isn't the career for you then. We work for so many hours outside of work as well as inside that there's no chance you would have enough time to go travelling" and from there just kind of said think about what you want to do, if you're still interested email us.. which i did.. no reply.

That's what made me lose interest completely in recruitment. Why go out and earn that amount of money if it costs you the free time to spend it how you want? It's only really for people who's main goal in life is to drive to a nice job in a nice car before coming back to a nice house, and have tons and tons of money to throw into a nice big pile, which isn't my main goal in life.

So yeah. It's not for everyone, at all.

This reminds me of when I was working as a contractor; it was an unfulfilling job and everyone was obsessed with making money. Long overtime hours and a long commute because the place was in the middle of nowhere = low quality of life. The pay was good for a graduate wage, so it worked for me since I was saving up for a masters. On the other hand, being in jobs like that permanently sounds like a very depressing life; being so focused on making money that you can't enjoy.
What tends to be the average pay in this sector? For example a grad going into their first job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending