The Student Room Group

GCSE help IM SO SCARED AND NEED HELP

Okay so I really underachieved in my GCSEs and I know exactly what I need to improve on for next year but the grades I got were:
One A*, Four As, 4 Bs and 4 Cs.
I'm really disappointed in my results and I feel like I have the capability to do so much better but my mum is really giving me a hard time since my GCSE results don't fit her expectations. But some of the things she's saying are really making me worried even though I have researched it a whole lot... I really want to get into a Russell Group university to do Law (preferablely Warwick) but my mum said it's not possible for me to get into a Russell Group university because of my GCSEs. If I get really good A level grades and study much harder do you think I have a chance to get into a Russell Group? the subjects I'm taking for a levels are the ones I got A*/A/B for. Do you think if I get very good a level grades ( AAAA A*A*AA*) (results on those lines) a Russell group will take me????

From a very stressed person. (who also just made this account now)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kimsalot
Okay so I really underachieved in my GCSEs and I know exactly what I need to improve on for next year but the grades I got were:
I'm really disappointed in my results and I feel like I have the capability to do so much better but my mum is really giving me a hard time since my GCSE results don't fit her expectations. But some of the things she's saying are really making me worried even though I have researched it a whole lot... I really want to get into a Russell Group university to do Law (preferablely Warwick) but my mum said it's not possible for me to get into a Russell Group university because of my GCSEs. If I get really good A level grades and study much harder do you think I have a chance to get into a Russell Group? the subjects I'm taking for a levels are the ones I got A*/A/B for. Do you think if I get very good a level grades ( AAAA A*A*AA*) (results on those lines) a Russell group will take me????

it's 1am excuse my grammar mistakes urghhhh
Your GCSEs are above par. Yes you can get into a Russell Group Uni. Yes your worries are irrational.
Reply 3

Deep breaths. Sleep on it. When you're rested, look at University websites for their entry requirements.

Maybe hang around on TSR for a bit and contribute to chat? It's a helpful community here around exam time, especially if you want to do 15 A Levels, good on you, personally I'd settle for meeting their entry requirements. :hi:
(edited 7 years ago)

They probably wont even look at your GCSE's and you have your 5 A*'s-C
your mum being a massive douche
Please do not worry but people now days will slowly destroy and stress they children to death because of some stupid grades and letters. Your grade are very good! Well done. Do not let some "stupid' grades define who you are! Keep fight and do your best to enjoy the processes. Well done again and good luck! Enjoy and be proud of what you have achieved :smile:
Reply 6
Try not to panic! Don't listen to your Mum because shes feeding you unnecessary stress and causing you to worry even more and about something that is more than a year away. Trust me, the universities will mostly look at your personal statement, your AS level grades and the grades your teacher predicts you at A2. Law may be a little different than other courses, but I've heard the only reason they would look at your GCSE grades is because of a high amount of competition for the course and they need to look more in depth into each student, but I'm not sure if that's true. One of my friends got an offer for Durham and she didn't even have GCSEs or an equivalent in a different language! When the time comes, I would honestly focus on your personal statement and really try hard for this years AS exams and year 12 is not the year to slack off, it counts as much as year 13 regardless of what other people think. And if you're from the UK, try to get some sleep and don't think this too much, in AS I achieved much lower than I expected and by staying up worrying I wasn't doing myself any favours and just adding to the stress. btw, congrats! I think they're great results!

Give your ma a dig to the head then do naughty in your A levels and you'll be sound as a pound
Having a good year 12 will be much more important than worrying about your good set of GCSE grades. If you do well next year, get good predicted grades and also have lots of things to contribute to an excellent personal statement, you will succeed in your goal. In the end no matter how much your teachers and parents comment, nobody can want you to do well more than you want that for yourself. If you really, really want to do law then you will do everything you need to next year to make that happen :smile:

Keep the passion for doing what you want to do. And be proud of what you got in your GCSE's. You have enough to stay on and do the subjects you need next year. Smash year 12 and this time next year your GCSE's will be a distant memory.

I want to do law too. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Your mum's either an idiot or being actively malicious. Unis don't even look at your GCSEs unless you're looking at Cambridge. All you need in your GCSEs is 'enough to get into sixth form to do the subjects you want'. A levels are a completely fresh start - just focus on your AS levels, personal statement and work experience (if you need any), and you'll be fine. :smile:

Yes, but I don't recommend taking four A Levels. A lot of them will be linear now and that's a hefty amount of revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do not panic, your mother is wrong! Hoping that your English Language grade is strong you should be fine with those GCSE results when applying to study Law at university. Many Russell Group universities require AAA, is some rare cases AAB to study Law. Take your 4 AS Levels, work extremely hard on them and with the grades from them, universities will be able to get an idea about how your A-Level results will turn out. GradeA*UnderA is half right HOWEVER showing you studied 4 subjects at AS-Level will help you greatly as Law is a very competitive subject and dropping one when transitioning from AS to A-Level is better rather than starting from 3

Many Russel Group unis just require you to have C in maths and english. A Levels are far more important.
Reply 13
As has been said, your GCSEs are actually really good! I understand that you and your mum hoped for better - but don't be too hard on yourself! You worked hard for these :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Mimir
Deep breaths. Sleep on it. When you're rested, look at University websites for their entry requirements.

Maybe hang around on TSR for a bit and contribute to chat? It's a helpful community here around exam time, especially if you want to do 15 A Levels, good on you, personally I'd settle for meeting their entry requirements. :hi:

thank you for your advice! I did check university requirements but they don't mention anything about GCSEs apart from a minimum B in Maths and English so I'm just hoping for the best but thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by Sgt.Golden
Please do not worry but people now days will slowly destroy and stress they children to death because of some stupid grades and letters. Your grade are very good! Well done. Do not let some "stupid' grades define who you are! Keep fight and do your best to enjoy the processes. Well done again and good luck! Enjoy and be proud of what you have achieved :smile:

thank you so much !!!
Reply 16
Original post by caii97
Try not to panic! Don't listen to your Mum because shes feeding you unnecessary stress and causing you to worry even more and about something that is more than a year away. Trust me, the universities will mostly look at your personal statement, your AS level grades and the grades your teacher predicts you at A2. Law may be a little different than other courses, but I've heard the only reason they would look at your GCSE grades is because of a high amount of competition for the course and they need to look more in depth into each student, but I'm not sure if that's true. One of my friends got an offer for Durham and she didn't even have GCSEs or an equivalent in a different language! When the time comes, I would honestly focus on your personal statement and really try hard for this years AS exams and year 12 is not the year to slack off, it counts as much as year 13 regardless of what other people think. And if you're from the UK, try to get some sleep and don't think this too much, in AS I achieved much lower than I expected and by staying up worrying I wasn't doing myself any favours and just adding to the stress. btw, congrats! I think they're great results!

thank you so much, ur advice really helped!!! X
Reply 17
Original post by Kieranisda1
Give your ma a dig to the head then do naughty in your A levels and you'll be sound as a pound

trust me, I'm onto it
Reply 18
Original post by Spidersmudge
Having a good year 12 will be much more important than worrying about your good set of GCSE grades. If you do well next year, get good predicted grades and also have lots of things to contribute to an excellent personal statement, you will succeed in your goal. In the end no matter how much your teachers and parents comment, nobody can want you to do well more than you want that for yourself. If you really, really want to do law then you will do everything you need to next year to make that happen :smile:

Keep the passion for doing what you want to do. And be proud of what you got in your GCSE's. You have enough to stay on and do the subjects you need next year. Smash year 12 and this time next year your GCSE's will be a distant memory.

I want to do law too. Good luck! :biggrin:

thank you so much for making me feel better! and good luck to you too :smile:))
Reply 19
Original post by Pedr0
Your mum's either an idiot or being actively malicious. Unis don't even look at your GCSEs unless you're looking at Cambridge. All you need in your GCSEs is 'enough to get into sixth form to do the subjects you want'. A levels are a completely fresh start - just focus on your AS levels, personal statement and work experience (if you need any), and you'll be fine. :smile:

yeah I'll probably wait for my mum to calm down a notch (hopefully) but thank you for the advice though! x

Quick Reply

Latest