The Student Room Group

parents want me to do medicine

I really like Physics but my parents say that I cant cope up with Physics and so I should do Medicine.
Your worth should come from your own happiness.

Don't let parents dictate your future.

If you are passionate for it then go for it but doing medicine for the sake of pleasing your parents is not right.
Reply 2
Parents often mean well - doctors get paid very well - but if you don't want to do it, of course you don't have to. It helps to have a reason why you don't want to do medicine, so maybe explore it a bit (meet them half way) and then make your own mind up. If you just don't want to do it, maybe you can be 'squeamish'. Nobody in their right mind would force a squeamish person to do medicine.
I can assure you a top professor in physics will outearn any doctor.

However, life is not all about money, do what you want.
Original post by student004
I really like Physics but my parents say that I cant cope up with Physics and so I should do Medicine.

Very odd. Your parents want you to have an easier life so they suggest...being a doctor :lolwut:

Look, it's your decision. That's completely non-negotiable. Medicine is a way of life, not just a degree and if you go into it without really wanting to be there you will end up pretty miserable and very stressed out.

Why do your parents think you won't be able to cope with physics?

Original post by momoneyme89
I can assure you a top professor in physics will outearn any doctor.

However, life is not all about money, do what you want.

What's a "top professor" and who exactly is "any doctor"? A foundation year one doctor? Or a consultant dermatologist with private clinics, teaching income, management responsibilities and a very clever accountant?
Original post by Democracy
Very odd. Your parents want you to have an easier life so they suggest...being a doctor :lolwut:

Look, it's your decision. That's completely non-negotiable. Medicine is a way of life, not just a degree and if you go into it without really wanting to be there you will end up pretty miserable and very stressed out.

Why do your parents think you won't be able to cope with physics?

What's a "top professor" and who exactly is "any doctor"? A foundation year one doctor? Or a consultant dermatologist with private clinics, teaching income, management responsibilities and a very clever accountant?

Top professor, (earning £100K + on average), any doctor (won't max over £80K- though there are some exceptions)
Top professor, (earning £100K + on average), any doctor (won't max over £80K- though there are some exceptions)

That's simply not true I'm afraid:

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay/consultants-pay-england

That's not even taking into account income from other sources e.g. private work.

Also, I really want to know which professors are routinely earning £100K. Academia has never been well paid, let alone in the current climate. Evidence please?
Have worked as a doctor and in academia and yes the doctors get paid more. Even got paid more on the same grades in the Uni as we got "clinical pay" - you'll understand it wasn't a popular thing with the non medics

Re the OP - never ever ever do medicine because someone else wants you to, easy to get swept along by everyone else's enthusiasm for you but it won't last and reality will hit. hard.
That's simply not true I'm afraid:

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay/consultants-pay-england

That's not even taking into account income from other sources e.g. private work.

Also, I really want to know which professors are routinely earning £100K. Academia has never been well paid, let alone in the current climate. Evidence please?

No the top professors are on silly money, and do half the work you doctors do. Though both are very well paid careers, it doesn't make a difference.

I would say the top top professors can earn £150K +, especially in the US, there it is more like £200K+

But it is true any normal lecturer will struggle to get past £40K

Academia has the best work life balance, I'm a PhD Student and watch them piss about the whole day (though they should be working!)
Reply 9
So how many physics graduates go on to become a "top professor" (who will be lucky to get above £60k). I would say less than 1%.

Compare that to how many medical students become well-paid doctors. The top 1% earning doctors will undoubtedly be on more.

It's not even a contest.
Original post by mik1a
So how many physics graduates go on to become a "top professor" (who will be lucky to get above £60k). I would say less than 1%.

Compare that to how many medical students become well-paid doctors. The top 1% earning doctors will undoubtedly be on more.

It's not even a contest.

Academia is still a better work life balance compared to the real world.

You might earn marginally less in your youth, but you won't feel tired or pushed.
Actually the best job is to go into trading part time and make more money than a professor and doctor combined, though you are risking a lot.

But I've been able to make around £1300-£1500 a month just investing in the financial markets and it requires very little effort on my part, I don't trade, just buy and hold based on fundamental and technical analysis.

A good trader can make £2000-£3000 a day on a good day, find me a career that can make that.
No the top professors are on silly money, and do half the work you doctors do. Though both are very well paid careers, it doesn't make a difference.

I would say the top top professors can earn £150K +, especially in the US, there it is more like £200K+

But it is true any normal lecturer will struggle to get past £40K

Academia has the best work life balance, I'm a PhD Student and watch them piss about the whole day (though they should be working!)

I still don't quite understand what this "top professor" malarkey is. No academic would ever refer to another as being a "top professor"; this is the language of sixth formers and tabloid newspapers.

Re the link from the Independent: yes VCs and Principals get paid lots, but they are administrators and managers rather than full time academics or researchers. So again, what you're saying doesn't add up at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
:toofunny:

I still don't quite understand what this "top professor" malarkey is. No academic would ever refer to another as being a "top professor"; this is the language of sixth formers and tabloid newspapers.

Re the link from the Independent: yes VCs and Principals get paid lots, but they are administrators and managers rather than full time academics or researchers. So again, what you're saying doesn't add up at all.

"Top professor" is standard jargon in academia, I'm a PhD student, I would (hopefully) know. It's like saying someone who is a professor, who is critical to a department because his publications are constantly in top journals.

There is a very blurred line between top professors and managers, yes sure, they do end up doing both, but it doesn't mean a head of department or head of faculty doesn't publish. Heck even the VCs publish.
I mean a lot of people do make it professor, but there are very few who make it to a position such as associate editor of econometrics journal or editor of the journal of optimisation.

Those editors and associate editors are considered top professors and make the silly money.
Nope, nope, nope.*

For one thing, Medicine is not an 'easier' option; the academic side may be less challenging than Physics, but the workload is greater (speaking as the partner of someone who has both a degree in Physics and a degree in Medicine). If your parents don't think you can cope with Physics, I'm surprised they think you can cope with Medicine.

For another, it's your choice and your life, not theirs. Any degree is difficult to see through unless your heart's really in it, and Medicine (especially considering the length of the course and the workload/long hours) is no exception. If you're interested in Medicine as well as Physics, then fine; if not, avoid it like the plague. You will be miserable if you force yourself to go down that route if it isn't really what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending