The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Hey guys. I'm a 2220 ranked juinor player. Anyone interested in 1 game?
Original post by Convex
Hey guys. I'm a 2220 ranked juinor player. Anyone interested in 1 game?

If you spot me a rook...

Spoiler

go on lichess.org
Set up a game using "play with a friend"
Give them the link
If anyone wants to play vs me here: https://lichess.org/WiEejP4v I rarely lose
Original post by EnglishMuon
'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?

okay we can play now 15 minutes each way no seconds added. do you want me to set up the board?
Reply 765
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
If anyone wants to play vs me here: https://lichess.org/WiEejP4v I rarely lose

I'll if you want (:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
If you spot me a rook...

Spoiler

Morphy spotted a rook all the time and still crushed everyone XD.
If you can avoid blundering and restrict him from getting lots of piece activity with gambits etc. you may actually stand a chance. No one can win a rook down in the endgame.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Morphy spotted a rook all the time and still crushed everyone XD.
If you can avoid blundering and restrict him from getting lots of piece activity with gambits etc. you may actually stand a chance. No one can win a rook down in the endgame.

I wonder what Morphy's FIDE rating would have been...it is hard to determine with such relatively weak opposition - although he often plays the computer move supposedly

I'd like to think I could beat people at least partway into the early 2000s in such circumstances if I focused enough and it was a somewhat long game. Rook odds must be worth a lot of effective rating points, though obviously the earlier in the game, the less it matters.

I've played two masters OTB, around 2200 and 2300. In former case I stupidly blundered in the Queen's Gambit Accepted losing very quickly; in the latter it was rather boring and I got into an endgame maybe two pawns down then obviously got rekt.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
@Matrix123 , if you want to play now: https://lichess.org/CB4ZILw3

@K-Man_PhysCheM are you up for that game now? :smile:
Got my tactics up to 1850 on chess.com but still losing most blitz games by moving immediately, blundering into a tactic then instantly resigning. :colonhash:
I wonder what Morphy's FIDE rating would have been...it is hard to determine with such relatively weak opposition - although he often plays the computer move supposedly

I'd like to think I could beat people at least partway into the early 2000s in such circumstances if I focused enough and it was a somewhat long game. Rook odds must be worth a lot of effective rating points, though obviously the earlier in the game, the less it matters.

I've played two masters OTB, around 2200 and 2300. In former case I stupidly blundered in the Queen's Gambit Accepted losing very quickly; in the latter it was rather boring and I got into an endgame maybe two pawns down then obviously got rekt.

Are those two the masters in Warwick that you mentioned and are they first year students there?
Are those two the masters in Warwick that you mentioned and are they first year students there?

Indeed (well, about to be second years of course)
Indeed (well, about to be second years of course)

Wow that's impressive, guess they had many opportunities to play OTB in tournaments etc. when they were young though. Do they study maths there or something else?
Wow that's impressive, guess they had many opportunities to play OTB in tournaments etc. when they were young though. Do they study maths there or something else?

They'd certainly been playing since very young (wish I had...pretty much first played chess actually knowing all the rules and with any seriousness at sixteen). I don't recall asking but I've seen them both in lots of maths lectures so I would imagine so. I think Maths is certainly the most popular in the society; this also seems to be the case in Snooker and Pool which I'm in as well.

Just played a model Sicilian game as Black lol (well, to be more accurate, my opponent played a howler). Very aesthetic finish. A single inaccuracy (16. ...Rc8) and nothing more on my part according to the computer, which slightly eases the pain of multiple games lost in one move blunders.

https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1705154104
Original post by Matrix123
@K-Man_PhysCheM are you up for that game now? :smile:

Oh hey, sorry, my notifications didn't work?!?! Are you able to play this evening, @Matrix123?
Oh hey, sorry, my notifications didn't work?!?! Are you able to play this evening, @Matrix123?

It's alright, mine aren't either...
I should be free from just after 10pm if that's alright with you :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright, mine aren't either...
I should be free from just after 10pm if that's alright with you :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, ok, I can do that. I'll look forward to an interesting game! :smile:
Yeah, ok, I can do that. I'll look forward to an interesting game! :smile:

Cool, thanks! Me too, but tbh I'm not that great so it probably won't be a long game :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Cool, thanks! Me too, but tbh I'm not that great so it probably won't be a long game :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

@Matrix123:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest