The Student Room Group

Post 16 help :(

OK, so basically I got my gcse results yesterday (I got all my target grades, 2As, 2Cs and the rest Bs).

I've been thinking a while about what to do when I go to college. I really want to work in art & design when I'm older and the idea of a level 3 extended btec in art seems just right for me. However, my mum is convinced that A levels are the only way forward. So much so that she has left me with no choice but to do them now - I got enrolled last night.

Now, I know all the arguments against doing a btec and have taken all the advice on board, but I still believe it's right for me.

Is it right for my mum to force me into doing a levels (psychology, geography and graphic design & photography)?

I know she only wants what she thinks is best but I really can't deal with the pressure of exams and much prefer to coursework based stuff. What do I do?
no rebel and do what you will perform best in
only you will know what you enjoy and know what you are best at
have a chat with your mum and express these opinions, if she is a good mum then she'll do what it takes to get you your btec/preferred options :wink:good luck!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
no rebel and do what you will perform best in
only you will know what you enjoy and know what you are best at
have a chat with your mum and express these opinions, if she is a good mum then she'll do what it takes to get you your btec/preferred options :wink:good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try talking to her again. Hopefully she'll listen to me this time.
Firstly, congratulations on the results!

Just keep in mind that if you intend to go to university, A-Levels are probably the best option for you, as most universities only really accept them.

However, doing a BTEC also has some advantages. You could study the BTEC at college and perhaps start an apprenticeship to mx your time in a workplace and part-time at college (while gaining relevant work experience, industry links, and a small wage).

You could convince your parents to let you study at college by explaining the clear differences between the qualifications.

- The BTEC is more relevant for the career you want to go into (geography may be a useless subject for you)
- The BTEC is more focussed on coursework, which may suit your learning style better. This may allow you get better grades and make your time spent learning more effective.
- With the BTEC, you are studying one subject only, and don't have to worry about splitting your time with multiple A-Level subjects.
- Doing 4 A-Levels is very hard, and you may end up dropping one after a year.
- BTECS are no less prestigious than A-Levels, despite people's initial impressions. At the end of the day, they are equivalent to A-Levels in most ways (including UCAS points)
- You can sometimes have the option to study A-Levels along side your BTEC, if you so choose. You may have to pay to do them yourself, but if you feel capable of the extra workload then it may be beneficial to you.

Hope this helps!!
Reply 4
Original post by Amylovesfood
OK, so basically I got my gcse results yesterday (I got all my target grades, 2As, 2Cs and the rest Bs).

I've been thinking a while about what to do when I go to college. I really want to work in art & design when I'm older and the idea of a level 3 extended btec in art seems just right for me. However, my mum is convinced that A levels are the only way forward. So much so that she has left me with no choice but to do them now - I got enrolled last night.

Now, I know all the arguments against doing a btec and have taken all the advice on board, but I still believe it's right for me.

Is it right for my mum to force me into doing a levels (psychology, geography and graphic design & photography)?

I know she only wants what she thinks is best but I really can't deal with the pressure of exams and much prefer to coursework based stuff. What do I do?

I did a levels although i did quite well in them i would advise you to go for the btec. When choosing between a-levels and btec i went with a-levels however i had friends do btecs and they had no stress of exams and got into university just like i did so if you want to do btec do it. Im telling you now that once you start a-levels you probably will kick yourself for not doing what you wanted to do. Look at university requirements and see whether the acept btecs ( the universities you want to go to) if they do then its would make the decision easier if not maybe you should then carry on with with the alves you enrolled for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amylovesfood
Thanks for the advice. I'll try talking to her again. Hopefully she'll listen to me this time.

she should :wink:best of luck!
Reply 6
You can go to university with BTEC. You need DDM + to get in :smile: so don't worry
Thanks everyone for the advice! She won't listen so I'll probably have to do a levels for a week or so and then change, just to prove her wrong 😒

Quick Reply

Latest