The Student Room Group

What would be your reaction if your son came out as gay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It depends how life goes
I like both guys and girls so if I end up with a female partner, I'd just point at her and look at him like 'So am I, son.'
On the other hand, if I had a male partner I would hug my son and thank him for being comfortable enough to tell me. Then I'd support him 100%, because I've seen the damage it can do to those who aren't supported.
I would be disappointed but I would try and bring him back to faith in Christ. We are all sinners, gay or not, and are equally awful in God's eyes so I'm not going to pretend that I'm any better than him.
My sister is a lesbian, and my Mum was initially quite hostile because she was concerned how others would react to her, more than her personal prejudice. Make of that what you will.
Disown him and move to Australia
I would be disappointed, not at them being gay, but at the fact that they felt they needed to come out.
Original post by The_Opinion
There is no gay gene, no child is born gay.

It is possibly to "design" a baby to have brown hair, green eyes etc., it is not possible to design that baby to be gay. I have no idea why you are yapping on about therapy.

I already admitted that it wasn't genetic, but it still is influenced by biology. It's due to levels of hormones in the womb
I would wonder why they asked, it's awful that people have to come out as homosexual for fear of rejection. My view of them would remain unaltered, unequivocally.
Original post by _gcx
I would wonder whry they asked, it's awful that people have to come out as homosexual for fear of rejection. My view of them would remain unaltered, unequivocally.

You only have to look at some of the responses here to understand why they would be fearful.
And I sure as hell don't know what a God has to do with any of this. If someone doesn't approve of homosexuality, why not just front up and say so, instead of bringing some bloke sitting on a cloud into it?
And for the Choas Klauss poster, well I think any kids you don't have will have had a lucky escape.
I don't recall saying to each of my children when they were born, that the love I had for them was conditional "well don't go getting gay on me now". "Conversion therapy?" Never heard such a load of ********.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.

Pretty sure conversion therapies are illegal in this country.
well, we all know that Jesus had a "special relationship" with a "disciple whom he loved'"...

more details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disciple_whom_Jesus_loved#Homoeroticism

best
Original post by biglad2k16
I would try and bring him back to faith in Christ
why do you assume that gay people necessarily lose faith in Christ (if they had any in the first place, that is) ?
Original post by The_Opinion
There is no gay gene, no child is born gay.

It is possibly to "design" a baby to have brown hair, green eyes etc., it is not possible to design that baby to be gay. I have no idea why you are yapping on about therapy.

Where's god? I've never seen him. Is this religious science?
Reply 52
Original post by ckfeister

God is right here hon, you're talking to him (me) :wink:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
If you love your child unconditionally what does their sexuality matter? As long as they are happy! They aren't harming anyone! After all isn't that what any worthy parent wants for their child, for them to be happy? What sort of parent would stand in the way of their child's happiness because of their own views, opinions and feelings, it's very selfish if you ask me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you can't force your opinion on others, nor can you force your child into your religion. Who's to say any single persons opinion or religious views are the right ones? That's why we are individuals, freedom of speech and all that! Forcing your children to believe in and represent everything you do is taking away their human rights!
Original post by neal95
I would probably give it up for adoption of i knew when it was a child. I'm not one of those people to really get attached to kids, as my parents got divorced when I was quite young and although I get on pretty well with my dad, I don't think I could play that role full time. So even if the kid was straight I would probably try and pack it off to boarding school somewhere. It works for everyone if the child just goes somewhere where it's wanted and loved, as many people can't have children and then no conflict will occur.

?

Literally never have kids. **** my life.
I'd still love them of course.
I would be like

YEEEEEEET

then I would cry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would have no problem with that whatsoever:h:
Original post by ckfeister

Huh? I don't quite get your point.
Original post by ivybridge
I would say: "silly! you never needed to come out in the first place - bring a boy home, cool; bring a girl home, cool. you do you and keep yourself happy and as long as that's how you feel, i'm happy for you."

Why?

I can't respond to this because it says mr. dystopia edited it so you're gonna have to pm me or something and say what you originally said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending