The Student Room Group

Can i still do medicine?

Hello, I am usally an A/A* student but I received my results yesterday and I got:
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C
I am going to College to study: Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I received As in my core, double and triple science along with maths. So, I know I definitely want to do Medicine in the future. But I don't know if my results will hold me back.
Reply 1
It really depends where you want to go - some unis look really closely at GCSE grades (e.g., Oxford & Nottingham for the 2016/17 entry), whereas some don't care (e.g., Newcastle for 2016/17 entry). If you do well at AS, get all your work experience nailed, get a good UKCAT score and then pick unis that won't look so closely at your GCSEs, I would suspect that you have a shot (but I'm not a careers advisor so pls take that with a pinch of salt!). However, my definite advice would be to think critically about it and to look at the entry reqs for various medical schools (bc these do change year on year!), and if you're still unsure, to talk to your careers advisor.
Reply 2
Original post by chxnoa
It really depends where you want to go - some unis look really closely at GCSE grades (e.g., Oxford & Nottingham for the 2016/17 entry), whereas some don't care (e.g., Newcastle for 2016/17 entry). If you do well at AS, get all your work experience nailed, get a good UKCAT score and then pick unis that won't look so closely at your GCSEs, I would suspect that you have a shot (but I'm not a careers advisor so pls take that with a pinch of salt!). However, my definite advice would be to think critically about it and to look at the entry reqs for various medical schools (bc these do change year on year!), a if you're still unsure, to talk to your careers advisor.

Thank you. Yes, i think that most unis do look at GCSEs and at the majority of As and A* u achieve. So i hope my 7 can help. And i will try extra hard at As and Alevels thanks 😊
Original post by immy1140
Hello, I am usally an A/A* student but I received my results yesterday and I got:
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C
I am going to College to study: Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I received As in my core, double and triple science along with maths. So, I know I definitely want to do Medicine in the future. But I don't know if my results will hold me back.

Well done! :smile: Ignore the silly people. You can into most medical with the results you've gotten:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

The list is a little old now so check the entry requirements for GCSE on the ones that you definitely want to apply to.

The majority Medical schools care far more about AS and A levels though, so you might want to start concentrating on those as early as you can and keep doing past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest