The Student Room Group

Kyx's Puzzle Palace Mk I

Each room contains one puzzle. By completing each puzzle, you move onto the next room. Work as a team, guys.

Room 1 - The Missing Pound Room

Kyx, the penguin at the counter, is approached by three other penguins. They order a supersized bowl of noodles. This costs £30.

Kyx: I'll tell you what: if you manage to eat this in under ten minutes, I will give you a £5 discount.

The penguins manage to eat the noodles in 9 minutes 59.999 seconds.

Kyx: Well, you just about did it. Have this £5 note.

Penguins: We can't split that evenly between us three. Give us £3, and you keep the extra £2.

Kyx: No problemo

Here's the problem: Each penguin has now contributed £9 towards the bowl of noodles, which makes £27. Kyx has another £2, which brings the total to £29. What has happened to the other pound from the original £30?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyx
Each room contains one puzzle. By completing each puzzle, you move onto the next room. Work as a team, guys.
Room 1 - The Missing Pound Room
Kyx, the penguin at the counter, is approached by three other penguins. They order a supersized bowl of noodles. This costs £30.
Kyx: I'll tell you what: if you manage to eat this in under ten minutes, I will give you a £5 discount.
The penguins manage to eat the noodles in 9 minutes 59.999 seconds.
Kyx: Well, you just about did it. Have this £5 note.
Penguins: We can't split that evenly between us three. Give us £3, and you keep the extra £2.
Kyx: No problemo
Here's the problem: Each penguin has now contributed £9 towards the bowl of noodles, which makes £27. Kyx has another £2, which brings the total to £29. What has happened to the other pound from the original £30?

Spoiler

Analysis from Cheese: supersized noodles? Under 10 minutes? Boy those are some hungry penguins :lol:

£5 discount doesn't mean giving a £5 note
Therefore the penguins only have to pay £25 and they have an extra £3 on top of the 9 x 3 = £27 or something idk
then Kyx being a greedy guts took this £2
hmm
phoning comrades who may be able to offer assistance :redface: @XOR_ @13 1 20 8 42 @Plagioclase
Original post by Kyx
x

My brain is really not in gear for this :tongue:
I'll have another look in a moment though:yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
My brain is really not in gear for this :tongue:
I'll have another look in a moment though:yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

we can do this matrix!
together! :colone:
(edited 7 years ago)

OK so the penguins pay £30. Kyx keeps £25 and gives them £5.
25/3 is 8 1/3
Kyx then takes the £5 back and gives the penguins £3 and keeps £2 so each penguin has an extra £1.
Each has a loss of £8 1/3 and profit of £1
7 1/3 * 3 = £22
£22 + 2 = 24

All in all, I still don't know :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
we can do this matrix!
together! :colone:

Gotta have a shower then sure! If it's not already solved before I get back :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At first, they paid £30, or £10 each. Then, £5 was taken off the bill, so the meal cost £25. However, @Kyx kept £2 for himself.

There is no missing pound! The penguins, somehow able to handle coins with their flippers, spent £27 (£9 each): £25 on the meal, and £2 for the service charge.

The initial £30 was broken down into:
£25 paid for the noodles
£3 back to the penguins
£2 for Kyx

Or:
£27 total cost
£3 back to the penguins.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
At first, they paid £30, or £10 each. Then, £5 was taken off the bill, so the meal cost £25. However, @Kyx kept £2 for himself.

There is no missing pound! The penguins, somehow able to handle coins with their flippers, spent £27 (£9 each): £25 on the meal, and £2 for the service charge.

£25 paid for the noodles
£3 back to the penguins
£2 for Kyx

Or:
£27 total cost
£3 back to the penguins.

this looks very legit :yep:

£25 paid for the noodles
£3 back to the penguins
£2 for Kyx

Or:
£27 total cost
£3 back to the penguins.

To clarify, you cannot add the £2 that @Kyx kept onto the £27, because the £2 came from the £27 spent by the penguins, where £25 was for the noodles and £2 was for Kyx.
Reply 9

£25 paid for the noodles
£3 back to the penguins
£2 for Kyx

Or:
£27 total cost
£3 back to the penguins.

Correct.
Reply 10
Room 2 - Probability of the girls

Kyx and Flyx have two baby penguins. If one of them is a female, what is the probability of the other being a female too?
Original post by Kyx

Kyx and Flyx have two baby penguins. If one of them is a female, what is the probability of the other being a female too?

I think I have an answer:

Spoiler

Original post by Kyx

50%........
Reply 13
I think I have an answer:

Spoiler

50%........

1/2 is NOT the correct answer
Original post by Kyx

100%

Spoiler

Original post by Kyx

OK, let's see:

2 penguins, A and B. m= male, f=female

One must be female, hence the possibilities are:

A........B
f.........m
f.........f
m........f
f.........f

Aha! Combination f...f is repeated! It seems that if A is female, there are 2/3* (EDIT) chance B will be female, and vice versa...

Not sure what to make of this.
Reply 16
OK, let's see:

2 penguins, A and B. m= male, f=female

One must be female, hence the possibilities are:

A........B
f.........m
f.........f
m........f
f.........f

Aha! Combination f...f is repeated! It seems that if A is female, there are 2/3* (EDIT) chance B will be female, and vice versa...

Not sure what to make of this.

100%

Spoiler

Incorrect
Original post by Kyx
Incorrect

Ok... So if we remove one combination f....f we get:

A......B
f.......m
f.......f
m......f

So there's a 1/3 chance that there are 2 females if we know that one of the penguins is definitely female.
Reply 19

Correct :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending