The Student Room Group

What graduate starting salary would you be happy with?

Scroll to see replies

i accepted 26k as an engineering grad
Original post by Reue
Dillusioned undergrad who thinks he's gonna walk into an 80k job with 0 experience :wink:

Well, people do... I know some whose first year compensation was that or more. Just not common and incredibly hard to get those jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WBZ144
£30-40k, and that's because I'll be a Masters graduate soon.

In what job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Hopefully in the legal industry, but I also have experience working in financial services contracting roles (which I could do again for a short time to pay off my loans for this year) and those pay well.
Ayy Lmao you guys expect ALOT!.

I applied for like 1000 jobs between June and now but eventually grabbed a TA job, I am on little less than 16k a year.

I am working in London however I will be living at home and the place I work is about a 30-45mins walk so that is good for me.

That said I have never held anything beyond a temp/weekend job because jobs are so hard to get.I am just grateful to be working.

I am super happy. My family are piss poor and Student Finance was the most money I have ever had. Even after rent I lived like a king on 3k a year.

This year I am gonna apply for grad schemes out of the 100s of applications I have had promising replies from a few companies.

I just did an online assessment for a city job that pays 28-30k starting salary but I really doubt I will get it because that **** seems out of my league I was humbled with a reply.

Fingers crossed I will exceed my salary expectations because ill be applying for some juicy grad schemes throughout next year because I need to move out!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Hopefully in the legal industry, but I also have experience working in financial services contracting roles (which I could do again for a short time to pay off my loans for this year) and those pay well.

Legal industry is pretty vague tbh..

But fair enough about contracting, those day rates are something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accepted a starting salary of £43k. Anything over £30k I would have regarded as huge though, I'm already earning more than both of my parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lawyer3c
the only grad career that offers £50k afaik is IB/PE

Isn't strategy consulting similar?
Any grad job I would take most people I know are in non grad jobs (graduates)

Average for most grad jobs is around mid £20,000s I would take that all day long because if there is room for progression you could easily earn triple that amount within 10 years
Original post by anonwinner
Isn't strategy consulting similar?

It is, all-in. And top tier technology/prop trading firms/hedge funds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Legal industry is pretty vague tbh..

But fair enough about contracting, those day rates are something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I haven't done the LPC yet (will start in 2017) but I have come across jobs in law firms that pay pretty well, especially the London ones. I have an interview for a legal document reviewer job that pays at a daily rate and feel that something like that will be ideal for me to focus on for a year or so.

I would take a job with a lower salary if the work experience was valuable but I would be disappointed.
Original post by WBZ144
Well, I haven't done the LPC yet (will start in 2017) but I have come across jobs in law firms that pay pretty well, especially the London ones. I have an interview for a legal document reviewer job that pays at a daily rate and feel that something like that will be ideal for me to focus on for a year or so.

I would take a job with a lower salary if the work experience was valuable but I would be disappointed.

Fair enough, and I guess it would add value to a training contract application right?

All the best with the job hunt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, and I guess it would add value to a training contract application right?

All the best with the job hunt :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, and thanks! :smile:
Original post by lawyer3c
the only grad career that offers £50k afaik is IB/PE

You forgot sales and trading, securities research, asset management, hedge funds, top tech companies, some US law firms, top strategy consulting firms etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
My likely starting salary as a hospital pre-registration pharmacist in London would be around £26500 for this time next year.
25k a minimum. Could barter for something higher since maths is so desired. :colone:
Original post by RDKGames
25k a minimum. Could barter for something higher since maths is so desired. :colone:

Doing what?

You almost certainly will have no bartering power without years of experience under your belt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
25k but I accepted an offer for 30k

What was the job role?

I'd be happy with £28-30k/year as a starting salary post graduation in London.

£35k/year more as a long term goal I'd be happy to live off but gotta do a Masters for it + work experience + element of luck getting the job etc + see myself actually enjoying the job aswell. :sigh:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What was the job role?

I'd be happy with £28-30k/year as a starting salary post graduation in London.

£35k/year more as a long term goal I'd be happy to live off but gotta do a Masters for it + work experience + element of luck getting the job etc + see myself actually enjoying the job aswell. :sigh:

I don't get this would be happy thing.. You get paid what you get paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending