The Student Room Group

A-level students, I need your advice!

If there was one thing you wish you knew before starting A levels, what would it be?

Do you have any advice for someone starting them next year? How do I achieve the best possible grades?

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Start revising early. And just do past paper questions. I learnt that the hard way
Reply 3
i had to resit year 12 last year due to my own laziness
Reply 4
Really didn't. Had a family emergency the same day as my first exam as well.
Work in your frees
Work when you get home for an hour or two increase this when it gets closer to exams!
Take breaks, exercise, go for walks
Don't over do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Don't completely slack off in half terms, trying to catch up after a week or two of no work is so difficult (sitting here not done work for 5 weeks now:biggrin:), doesn't have to be a lot of work, just keep up with content or do a few questions.
- Studying smart is more important than studying "hard". You obviously need to revise a lot on top of doing your homework and stuff but you can't forget that life is not only about school! Start revising early but don't revise 24/7! You need some social time as well! School should be a part of your day - not your entire day! Don't forget to go out and have fun with your friends and family - time management is key - trust me, if you balance your "school and free" time you will benefit enormously, even academically because you will be able to focus better, stay motivated etc.

- Don't take a subject simply bc someone else said you should or because you wanted to study a so-called "soft subject" but are afraid of uni rejecting you - only choose subjects that you are interested in! Otherwise it will be sooooooo much harder to succeed!
Reply 8
Original post by Student150
If there was one thing you wish you knew before starting A levels, what would it be?

Do you have any advice for someone starting them next year? How do I achieve the best possible grades?

Thanks!

I don't know if someone has already told you this, so sorry if I'm repeating someone already.

Start past papers early. I didn't because I thought it's be better to wait until you've finished the course, but get used to doing them. Even if they're older ones, like 2008, get used to the stye because it's often different from what you practice in class.

Do every question in the book. This applies more to science and maths, but at GCSEs you can get away with not doing the extension and still get great grades. Honestly, find the harder questions in the book and get them all done topic by topic. Those are the questions examiners are putting more and more in exams so it really helps if you can get on top of those from the start, because come revision time you'll be focussing on other things.

A-levels are harder than GCSEs and you really need to attack the course from the beginning.

Good luck! What subjects are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest