The Student Room Group

Aqa geography a: Marked unfairly?

Was anyone else's geography grade a shock to them?

I got a B after getting A*s all year round, with an A* in coursework, A in one exam and C in the other??? a C???

I have no idea what happened but from what I've seen noone else has done amazing in geography, I'm thinking of sending the paper with the C off for a remark as I have no idea what happened

The B stuck out like a sore thumb on my results as the rest were A/A*

Scroll to see replies

Same thing happened to me, I managed to get an E in my SDME after getting an A* for the mock; ended up with a C overall ):
Reply 2
Original post by Bernie2016
Same thing happened to me, I managed to get an E in my SDME after getting an A* for the mock; ended up with a C overall ):

what is SDME?
Original post by caitlinford3
what is SDME?

Sidemen Fc
Reply 4
I know right, it was an absolute piss take!
I got a 'D', I was expecting to get a 'B'.

I got a 'D' last year, but I chose to retake it.
I improved my CA, which was at a high 'B', but I am shocked with the overall result.

I am considering a remark, hoping to jump up from grade ''D'' to ''B''.
I got an A* but I do know a few people who got C's who really should have got the same as me! So yes, it would seem to be definitely worth looking into it. What have you got to lose, especially with the fact all your other grades prove you'd have been expecting an A*/A

Go for it! :smile:
I was expecting an A* but got an A overall. It seems as though all the controlled assessments at my school were marked down-I went from an A* to an A.
I got one A* and one A in my exams so I missed out on an A* because of my coursework. Can you get course work re-marked??
i was expecting almost full ums, i got a B, something seemed weird there
Reply 8
Original post by string210
i was expecting almost full ums, i got a B, something seemed weird there

Same here! I thought I'd smashed the physical exam with full UMS and then got an A, then the human exam I thought went really well - all my case studies were great etc and I got a C?? I'm sat here like 'did they even mark my paper?' This girl in my class who has been getting full marks all year round and is taking it for A Level and wants to even take it at degree got a C - like I don't understand how this has happened

Original post by Jazzy_j_
I was expecting an A* but got an A overall. It seems as though all the controlled assessments at my school were marked down-I went from an A* to an A.
I got one A* and one A in my exams so I missed out on an A* because of my coursework. Can you get course work re-marked??

I'm sure you can? Have a look on AQA's website

Original post by Spidersmudge
I got an A* but I do know a few people who got C's who really should have got the same as me! So yes, it would seem to be definitely worth looking into it. What have you got to lose, especially with the fact all your other grades prove you'd have been expecting an A*/A

Go for it! :smile:

I will definitely look into it! Thank you

Original post by Fly.RK_
I know right, it was an absolute piss take!
I got a 'D', I was expecting to get a 'B'.

I got a 'D' last year, but I chose to retake it.
I improved my CA, which was at a high 'B', but I am shocked with the overall result.

I am considering a remark, hoping to jump up from grade ''D'' to ''B''.

I saw some girl commenting that she jumped from a C to an A*, so it's worth the remark!
Original post by caitlinford3
Same here! I thought I'd smashed the physical exam with full UMS and then got an A, then the human exam I thought went really well - all my case studies were great etc and I got a C?? I'm sat here like 'did they even mark my paper?' This girl in my class who has been getting full marks all year round and is taking it for A Level and wants to even take it at degree got a C - like I don't understand how this has happened

I'm sure you can? Have a look on AQA's website

I will definitely look into it! Thank you

I saw some girl commenting that she jumped from a C to an A*, so it's worth the remark!

Let us know how you get on 😀💯
OMG - I thought it was only me! I've never gotten anything below an A* in geography and somehow managed to get a B in my finals...

I got an A in one paper and a Bin the other. My coursework went from an A* to a B. It was a shock for me to see a B on the results sheet. I am so annoyed!!!!!!

I didn't realise I got a B in geo until an hour ago D:
Reply 11
Hi, i do the geograohy B course and have never gotten below an A ever, averaging at a A* in all my mock exams. Yesterday my results showed I got a C. I am beyond shocked and cant being to understand how. Should I sent mine out for a remark too?
Reply 12
Hey, I'm in the exact same position at the start of the year I was predicted a B and throughout the year i've floated between a B and a C but when I got my result for it I was shocked to see a C. My mark equivalent was 136 but i can't find the grade boundaries for geography...
I was hoping for an A after getting two As in the exams, but my coursework got dragged down from a ''high B'' (according to my teacher) to a low C so I ended up with a B :frown:
AQA have been an absolute sh1tfest this year. People in many AQA subjects saying their grades are way lower than what was expected of them.
Reply 15
I'll advise all you to remark. I'm sure all you people smashed the exam, I mean something hasn't gone right if your CA has dropped and you improved it, in that case, I had done this year.

A remark isn't risky, as long as your grade is secure, e.g; 10 marks clear off an 'A'.

GL, I need this 'B', if I am to do it in A-levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah.. I was expecting nearly full UMS.. got 347 and an A.
Bit weird.
Same here, I was pretty much top in my year all year in geography - predicted A*s for the whole time. I got 94% in Human, 100% in my course work and then physical SCREWED me - 76% bringing me to a big fat 357/400 UMS - totally gutted. Should I look into an expensive remark?
Reply 18
Original post by fuzi8n137
Same here, I was pretty much top in my year all year in geography - predicted A*s for the whole time. I got 94% in Human, 100% in my course work and then physical SCREWED me - 76% bringing me to a big fat 357/400 UMS - totally gutted. Should I look into an expensive remark?

My school charges £80 per unit, that's dead but geo is important for my future.
I will remark, but after I get my grade breakdown.
I only got the grade, nothing else.
Original post by Fly.RK_
I'll advise all you to remark. I'm sure all you people smashed the exam, I mean something hasn't gone right if your CA has dropped and you improved it, in that case, I had done this year.

A remark isn't risky, as long as your grade is secure, e.g; 10 marks clear off an 'A'.

GL, I need this 'B', if I am to do it in A-levels.

I'm 3 marks off an A* as my controlled assessment got dropped from full marks to an A. Is it worth getting my physical paper remarked as I got an A in it and an A* in human?

Quick Reply

Latest