The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

just completed and converted my summer internship into a ft position.

if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to answer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gr8wizard10

Best and Worst experience during the internship?
What prior knowledge did you have to have?
Did you get on with the other people on the internship?
Was there any point where you didn't like it? If so, what

What do you think made you stand out amongst other SAs for FT conversion?

Now that you've spent 2 summers in front office roles, what is your overall view of banking, and how would it differ to the idea you had of it going in?

What are you going to spend your signing bonus on?

What kind of relationship did you have with the more senior members of your team (VPs, ED/SVP/Ds, MDs etc)? Did you get any chance to speak/work with them closely?

Now that you basically have a grad job one year before finishing uni, how will your attitude towards your third year of uni/your studies change?

What type of hours did you pull this summer?

Already said congrats but I'll say it again: major congrats dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
Best and Worst experience during the internship?
What prior knowledge did you have to have?
Did you get on with the other people on the internship?
Was there any point where you didn't like it? If so, what

best: working on some analysis for a client from scratch and getting good feedback, client wanting more

worst: getting staffed by 2 people at midnight when I had 3 hours sleep the night before

prior knowledge: studied finance, done 2 prior internships, proficient in excel and ppt beforehand

yes, would say I got on with everyone

haha when you are going home at 3am asking yourself why you're doing this
Original post by Princepieman
What do you think made you stand out amongst other SAs for FT conversion?

Now that you've spent 2 summers in front office roles, what is your overall view of banking, and how would it differ to the idea you had of it going in?

What are you going to spend your signing bonus on?

What kind of relationship did you have with the more senior members of your team (VPs, ED/SVP/Ds, MDs etc)? Did you get any chance to speak/work with them closely?

Now that you basically have a grad job one year before finishing uni, how will your attitude towards your third year of uni/your studies change?

What type of hours did you pull this summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

consistent good feedback, enthusiasm, networking

I knew what it was like going on, so the view hasn't changed much (if at all)

I'll put it in my savings account, think I should probably start being a bit more responsible with my finances

spoke to all senior members of my team.. the VPs we would just banter all day long, directors and MDs are very good career/advice mentors so occasionally picked their brain on more longer term thinking. but they were always abroad on meetings, so communication wasn't as common.

hopefully will be a bit more relaxed, will take this year as sort of time off

15-16 avg
Reply 5

prior knowledge: studied finance,

Thanks for the reply, and what uni did you study finance at? Also how did you find the course?
And on a scale of 1-10 (1 being bad 10 being good) - How well do you think it prepared you for a job in banking?
consistent good feedback, enthusiasm, networking

I knew what it was like going on, so the view hasn't changed much (if at all)

I'll put it in my savings account, think I should probably start being a bit more responsible with my finances

spoke to all senior members of my team.. the VPs we would just banter all day long, directors and MDs are very good career/advice mentors so occasionally picked their brain on more longer term thinking. but they were always abroad on meetings, so communication wasn't as common.

hopefully will be a bit more relaxed, will take this year as sort of time off

15-16 avg

Cheers broski.

Speaking of banter etc, what was the team dynamic like? Did everyone just plug in to grind out models or was it more of a collaborative effort?

How much of that 15-16 hour day is downtime vs BS meetings vs doing work?

How long were your lunches (if you had any)? And what would you spend them doing?

Do you have any stories of any particularly difficult fellow summer analysts?

And what about longer term, do you plan on taking up an exit opp or staying in banking? Is an MBA on the horizon ever for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh yh and
How many people get offered an intership then how many people convert it?
It probably varies but is there like a general number? Or does it like depend
Original post by AdeptDz
Thanks for the reply, and what uni did you study finance at? Also how did you find the course?
And on a scale of 1-10 (1 being bad 10 being good) - How well do you think it prepared you for a job in banking?

studied at a semi-target (think: Manchester/Notts/Kings/Durham) status for finance

10, i was incredibly well prepared

Original post by AdeptDz
Oh yh and
How many people get offered an intership then how many people convert it?
It probably varies but is there like a general number? Or does it like depend

around 40-50% of our intern class in m&a recieved offers

it very much depends on business needs and the current economic environment
Cheers broski.

Speaking of banter etc, what was the team dynamic like? Did everyone just plug in to grind out models or was it more of a collaborative effort?

How much of that 15-16 hour day is downtime vs BS meetings vs doing work?

How long were your lunches (if you had any)? And what would you spend them doing?

Do you have any stories of any particularly difficult fellow summer analysts?

And what about longer term, do you plan on taking up an exit opp or staying in banking? Is an MBA on the horizon ever for you?

there's a lot of teamwork involved but that's moreso with deadlines etc.. and be aware of other people's times/commitments and your role to play in that.. as two people can't do one model at the same time, as that doesn't really work. the dynamic was really good, and teamwork is a must and it really shows who's a good team player and who is not.

varies per day, in the morning is generally checking previous days work, afternoon has the most downtime and is when i schedule most meetings because i know the work will come later on in the evening/night.. where it's just full on crank out work time to go home as soon as possible.

generally have lunch on the desk whilst pulling up and compiling info for coverage areas and MDs as an add value to any deals we're working on, or find things to update clients on for some idea generation among my team..

otherwise would spend time with other interns building bonds

no, most summer analysts were good

yeah, open to buy-side or potentially leaving and doing something completely new. have no interest in pursuing further study whatsoever.
studied at a semi-target (think: Manchester/Notts/Kings/Durham) status for finance

10, i was incredibly well prepared

around 40-50% of our intern class in m&a recieved offers

it very much depends on business needs and the current economic environment

Cool, I can't decide between maths, economics or finance at uni, probably leaning more towards finance.. thanks

Lastly, what do you think set you apart from other students applying for the internship and other studdents during the internship?
Reply 11
1. where do u see urself in 5-10 years time

2. can u help me land an interview

3. how much can u realistically net at the end as a summer intern at a bank? £4-6k?

4. were there any interesting / hilarious moments during the internship that you'd like to share?

5. do u personally think it was worth it to pull all those hours

6. 40-50% conv rate seems low? is this number an anomaly or not too far away from the avg ate over past years?

7. what are ur plans before commencing full-time?

congratz congratz congratz.
Reply 12

Any history graduates in your intern group?

Well done on the new job!!
there's a lot of teamwork involved but that's moreso with deadlines etc.. and be aware of other people's times/commitments and your role to play in that.. as two people can't do one model at the same time, as that doesn't really work. the dynamic was really good, and teamwork is a must and it really shows who's a good team player and who is not.

varies per day, in the morning is generally checking previous days work, afternoon has the most downtime and is when i schedule most meetings because i know the work will come later on in the evening/night.. where it's just full on crank out work time to go home as soon as possible.

generally have lunch on the desk whilst pulling up and compiling info for coverage areas and MDs as an add value to any deals we're working on, or find things to update clients on for some idea generation among my team..

otherwise would spend time with other interns building bonds

no, most summer analysts were good

yeah, open to buy-side or potentially leaving and doing something completely new. have no interest in pursuing further study whatsoever.

Cheers, especially for the day breakdown. Makes a lot of sense now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz

Lastly, what do you think set you apart from other students applying for the internship and other studdents during the internship?

He got the internship after a spring week and he answered the other already

Posted from TSR Mobile
He got the internship after a spring week and he answered the other already

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yeh, thanks
My questions have already been asked by others and answered but well done! And best of luck for the rest of your IB career!
Were you asked at unis whether you'd be better suited to a career in politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18

Which universities did most of the people in your team come from?

Which bank are you in?

Whats your salary going to be?
Original post by Gman786

Whats your salary going to be?

£50k base is street.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending