The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

How often did you work on Saturday / Sundays?
Congrats on the job though.

:borat:
Original post by Princepieman
£50k base is street.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure? I think its 50 at GS but around 45 at the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% sure. Bases across the street went up £5k in 2012.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.arkesden.com/asset/8399/download

If you're still not convinced

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Any insight into what Barclays culture is like at a junior level? The one bank i've heard consistently bad things about in that regard.
Original post by exitopp
1. where do u see urself in 5-10 years time

2. can u help me land an interview

3. how much can u realistically net at the end as a summer intern at a bank? £4-6k?

4. were there any interesting / hilarious moments during the internship that you'd like to share?

5. do u personally think it was worth it to pull all those hours

6. 40-50% conv rate seems low? is this number an anomaly or not too far away from the avg ate over past years?

7. what are ur plans before commencing full-time?

congratz congratz congratz.

not sure, don't look beyond 1-2 years into the future, because things change..

£7k and £1k will be deffered to april (because of tax)

yes, quite a few.. would take long to explain/shre but it has been a fun experience

the hours are part of the job, and i knew that going in.. at points you do get quite drained but its a rewarding experience in the end

i'd imagine the number is low due to market conditions

i have a year of uni to complete

Original post by MHI
Any history graduates in your intern group?

Well done on the new job!!

not that i know of, but there are employees with history degrees
Were you asked at unis whether you'd be better suited to a career in politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

never, quite a weird question?

Original post by Gman786
Which universities did most of the people in your team come from?

Which bank are you in?

Whats your salary going to be?

oxbridge / warwick were the most represented universities on the m&a floor

i won't say but it was one of the bulge bracket institutions

it's around the street average
Original post by alexjones1994
How often did you work on Saturday / Sundays?
Congrats on the job though.

:borat:

50-60% of weekends

Original post by ib101
Any insight into what Barclays culture is like at a junior level? The one bank i've heard consistently bad things about in that regard.

idk specifically but i don't think there's such thing as bank culture, moreso team culture and that would vary across teams
How are you going to balance the full time work with uni next year?
Original post by Pinkberry_y

He wouldn't, he would start after he graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y

because i join in 2017 after i graduate, so won't be working until after i finish uni :smile:
On a scale of 1-10 how interesting is the work?
Why did you choose m&a over ECM, DCM, sector coverage and S&T?
Just a general question.
Do the banks have a preference of the target unis? Like is oxbridge the best to them, then something like warwick etc.? Or are they viewed equally?
I'm guessing Oxbridge is above then the rest are seen as equal (UCL LSE Imperial Warwick) or maybe LSE 3rd
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
Just a general question.
Do the unis have a preference of the target unis? Like is oxbridge the best to them, then something like warwick etc.? Or are they viewed equally?
I'm guessing Oxbridge is above then the rest are seen as equal (UCL LSE Imperial Warwick) or maybe LSE 3rd

?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant banks, sorry
You'll finish uni around june i believe? When does work start? Would you mind me asking what you're going to do in thetime between uni and work as its kind of your last large block of free time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Just a general question.
Do the banks have a preference of the target unis? Like is oxbridge the best to them, then something like warwick etc.? Or are they viewed equally?

Of course oxford is perhaps seen as the best but that's irrelevant. Banks look at the candidate as a whole. Going to oxford may land you an interview, but being a well rounded person will get you THROUGH the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course oxford is perhaps seen as the best but that's irrelevant. Banks look at the candidate as a whole. Going to oxford may land you an interview, but being a well rounded person will get you THROUGH the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, thanks
Original post by usainlightning
On a scale of 1-10 how interesting is the work?
Why did you choose m&a over ECM, DCM, sector coverage and S&T?

depends on the task, sometimes are a 10 whilst others are a 1.. overall a 7/8... you learn a hell of a lot.

i didn't choose, i got placed into it, quite a weird story.. given i was doing trading last year and then moved over to m&a, even though i wanted to do a more structuring type role, and then i got good feedback so stuck it.. idk, but yeah the point is i kinda fell into it

Original post by AdeptDz
Just a general question.

i don't know, i know for oxbridge there are on-site first round interviews.. i think they're broadly equally represented so i doubt there's a preference for any university.. just allocate more resources to certain uni's because it makes sense to

You'll finish uni around june i believe? When does work start? Would you mind me asking what you're going to do in thetime between uni and work as its kind of your last large block of free time

Posted from TSR Mobile

i start training in august.. i will likely spend time with friends/family and possibly go on holiday
Original post by gr8wizard10
just completed and converted my summer internship into a ft position.

if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to answer

Congrats!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending