The Student Room Group

first year of sixth form stationary advice

just got my GCSE results back and have got my place at sixth form!!!! i will be taking: english lit, history, government & politics and a psychology AS level. this will be a lot of writing. my main issue is what pen to use. i love my parker fountain pen but the ink runs out quite fast. i don't know if it would be best to continue with this pen or get a set of new biros????

does anyone have any pen brands they recommend that last long and a nice to write with???

another a-level are much appreciated ...

xx
Original post by Showdle
just got my GCSE results back and have got my place at sixth form!!!! i will be taking: english lit, history, government & politics and a psychology AS level. this will be a lot of writing. my main issue is what pen to use. i love my parker fountain pen but the ink runs out quite fast. i don't know if it would be best to continue with this pen or get a set of new biros????

does anyone have any pen brands they recommend that last long and a nice to write with???

xx

Congrats! I personally only use black Bic pens. They basically never run out, they come in packs, they write nicely and I can read what I've written properly. For some reason I really struggle to read other colours, but the black Bic pens are always my go to. They're quite comfortable to write with as well.
Honestly, whatever pen brand you decide to use, it is almost inevitable that you will lose them all. Even if you somehow keep them locked away in a cupboard for the whole year, by the time your exams arrive you will be left with one pen and possibly a pen lid if you're lucky.
Reply 3
Going into sixth form next week too and I'm also taking politics and English lit alongside maths and RE! Throughout GCSE I've used the standard black ink Pentel pens. They are really so great to write with! They're inky but don't smudge and give off a very strong black without having to lean too hard. I'll definitely be using them this year!
I already did my stationary haul, I just bought bic pens in a pack bc that's the first thing I saw. I'd say not to worry too much about it, as you'll need more as the year goes on. But if you prefer longer lasting pens instead of buying over and over, then I suggest you do that instead. (I'm also doing essay based subjects :smile: )
cheap pens, pencils and refil pad oh and a folder :tongue: thats it! - maybe a rubber and ruler if your feeling it
Reply 6
papermate inkjoy are absolute life

also get lever arch files for each subject, highlighters, notepads, and a wallet for revision notes:smile:
Original post by Showdle

xx

I always used papermate ink joy and used the coloured versions as I liked to make notes is different colours but its totally up to you. Just use which ever pens you find easiest to write with so you can make note you can revise from afterwards.
And definitely buy lots of paper and ring binders and dividers for you folders to keep organised.

Quick Reply