The Student Room Group

Can I do medcine?

I haven't done great in my GCSE's but I'm really wanting to do medicine at university... I got 1 A*, 1 A, 5 B's, 3 C's and 1 D. I am just wondering if I can do it? what can I do to improve my chances of being able to do this! One of my C's was maths so I plan to re-take that and get a higher grade. has anyone been in my position and succeeded? or is it just too out of reach? I am willing to work extremely hard and do whatever it takes. Thank you for any feedback!!
Whats your English grade? Your grades are low for medicine but that means the other parts of your application ( UKCAT/BMAT, PS and interview ) have to be really good
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
Whats your English grade? Your grades are low for medicine but that means the other parts of your application ( UKCAT/BMAT, PS and interview ) have to be really good

I got a 2 B's in English lit and lang
Reply 3
Get as much work experience as you can, work hard and consistently thoughout year 12, when the time comes, spend a lot of time on UKCAT/BMAT to score highly, and read around medicine (topics that interest you, medical ethics, issues the NHS faces etc). Getting a B in English is a bit problematic, but it shouldn't spell the end of your medicine dream 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by thatawesomekid
Get as much work experience as you can, work hard and consistently thoughout year 12, when the time comes, spend a lot of time on UKCAT/BMAT to score highly, and read around medicine (topics that interest you, medical ethics, issues the NHS faces etc). Getting a B in English is a bit problematic, but it shouldn't spell the end of your medicine dream 🙂

Okay I can do that would you recommend resitting English as well as maths? what would be considered an okay grade for English?
Original post by GraceJoy
I haven't done great in my GCSE's but I'm really wanting to do medicine at university... I got 1 A*, 1 A, 5 B's, 3 C's and 1 D. I am just wondering if I can do it? what can I do to improve my chances of being able to do this! One of my C's was maths so I plan to re-take that and get a higher grade. has anyone been in my position and succeeded? or is it just too out of reach? I am willing to work extremely hard and do whatever it takes. Thank you for any feedback!!

You may have a really hard time trying to get into undergrad medicine in the UK as most medical schools will not accept any lower than a B for maths (some want higher than that) and often they will only accept the grade at first attempt and not any resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending