The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

SEFP foundation course for biological sciences...I'M so STUCK!!!

Hey guys,
I have been offered this foundation course to do a foundation ocurse for biological sciences.

I wanted to biomed but this is what I got...will it lead me to biomed
Also, what are your opinions on taking up this offer ...how did u find it? is it easy

Or I can go straight and do the biomed course at herts ( idunno whatthats like)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Hey guys,
I have been offered this foundation course to do a foundation ocurse for biological sciences.

I wanted to biomed but this is what I got...will it lead me to biomed
Also, what are your opinions on taking up this offer ...how did u find it? is it easy

Or I can go straight and do the biomed course at herts ( idunno whatthats like)

Hi!
Have you checked the 'profiles' section on http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80015.html ?
This will let you know what students had to say about the course! :smile: Hope this helps! -Sarah
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Hi!

If you take SEFP (Biological Sciences) you can progress onto a number of different degrees after 1st year such as BioMed, Genetics, Pschology, Biology etc. But progression will depend on your results. For biomed you have to get 70% overall and pass 8/8 modules. Biology only requires 40% and 7/8 modules passing. It's not too hard to do, providing you are reasonably good at maths, bio and chem & work hard!

Hope this helps. I took the SEFP so do ask if you have questions.
Original post by AtalantaT
Hi!

If you take SEFP (Biological Sciences) you can progress onto a number of different degrees after 1st year such as BioMed, Genetics, Pschology, Biology etc. But progression will depend on your results. For biomed you have to get 70% overall and pass 8/8 modules. Biology only requires 40% and 7/8 modules passing. It's not too hard to do, providing you are reasonably good at maths, bio and chem & work hard!

How hard is it to get 70%?
Hi!

Also, will people doing degrees know you're doing the SEFP? Is it obvious
Reply 5
Original post by KINGYusuf
Also, will people doing degrees know you're doing the SEFP? Is it obvious

If you are good at maths it won't be too hard. I got 65% and I'm terrible at maths- it pulled me down. And people won't know you are studying the SEFP unless you tell them. But really, there's no point lying about it. So many people take it (literally 100's) and it's well accepted.
If you are good at maths it won't be too hard. I got 65% and I'm terrible at maths- it pulled me down. And people won't know you are studying the SEFP unless you tell them. But really, there's no point lying about it. So many people take it (literally 100's) and it's well accepted.

Thanks, I was like 1 mark off an A in A-level Maths and want to transfer to a better Univeristy than City (I rejected) so I decided to do the SEFP. I hope I do well
Reply 7
Thanks, I was like 1 mark off an A in A-level Maths and want to transfer to a better Univeristy than City (I rejected) so I decided to do the SEFP. I hope I do well

Then you'll do brilliantly. Honestly. QM is a fantastic university, and the SEFP is a lot like A Levels at times, just at a uni. Best of luck! Anything else, let me know.

im doing the SEFP this year and i got through clearing. i honestly dont know what to expect and didnt know 100s of people did it? i thought there would only be a few people doing it? also around what time does term start? and what are the exams like - how different are they from alevels?
Reply 9
Hey! I'm also gonna be on the SEFP Biological science course this September, with view to moving on to biomed too :h: But from what I can work out, it's basically just what everyone has already said. I'm crap at maths so I'm worried about the maths units, but I'm sure with hard work we can get the 70% needed to get to biomed :h:

See you all in September!
Reply 10
Original post by cmr98
Hey! I'm also gonna be on the SEFP Biological science course this September, with view to moving on to biomed too :h: But from what I can work out, it's basically just what everyone has already said. I'm crap at maths so I'm worried about the maths units, but I'm sure with hard work we can get the 70% needed to get to biomed :h:

See you all in September!

Hey! I'm also going for the foundation, although for engineering. Any luck with accommodation?
Original post by al__02
Hey! I'm also going for the foundation, although for engineering. Any luck with accommodation?

I am too. Can anyone help me with Student Finance? I can't find the course?
Reply 12
Original post by al__02

I'm actually going to be living in halls in Wembley and then commuting in, it only takes about 35 minutes and it saves me thousands on rent :smile: How about you?
Reply 13
I am too. Can anyone help me with Student Finance? I can't find the course?

Umm well the UCAS course code for that is HHX1 (engineering 4 year), have you tried doing a search for that? I searched CCX1 which is the bio SEFP and it found it no issue. But if that doesn't work then maybe call QMUL or the student finance office, I'm sure either would help :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by cmr98
I'm actually going to be living in halls in Wembley and then commuting in, it only takes about 35 minutes and it saves me thousands on rent :smile: How about you?

Oh I still didn't find anything... Its either very expensive or very far :/ But hopefully, I'll find something :smile: You didnt apply, by any chance to the garden halls ( U of L housing hall/dorm) ?
Original post by cmr98
Umm well the UCAS course code for that is HHX1 (engineering 4 year), have you tried doing a search for that? I searched CCX1 which is the bio SEFP and it found it no issue. But if that doesn't work then maybe call QMUL or the student finance office, I'm sure either would help :smile:

Yeah I tried that but Aerospace Engineering comes up for HHX1 lol wtf
Reply 16
Original post by al__02
Oh I still didn't find anything... Its either very expensive or very far :/ But hopefully, I'll find something :smile: You didnt apply, by any chance to the garden halls ( U of L housing hall/dorm) ?

I know right! Wembley is the only one I can afford, even if I do have to travel everyday :colondollar: No I didn't, I only applied to the QMUL halls and then the CRM halls in Wembley, haven't even heard of it before now :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by cmr98
I know right! Wembley is the only one I can afford, even if I do have to travel everyday :colondollar: No I didn't, I only applied to the QMUL halls and then the CRM halls in Wembley, haven't even heard of it before now :smile:

Thats alright! Atleast next year we will apply early for the dorms, right ?
I wanted to ask if theres a Facebook group where we could all get the info about qm/ etc and just stay in touch ?
Reply 18
Hi guys

I will also be starting the SEFP course for Biological sciences. I'm really anxious and worried I won't pass the foundation year to move onto the degree. what is the likelihood of passing the foundation year? Is it difficult?

Also can anyone please explain what topics are covered for the Maths?

My mind needs some ease 😣
Reply 19
Hi all,

I'm new on this. I'm starting SEFP I'm September too for Biological sciences. I'm also really nervous about this course.

How hard are the modules and what kind of topics do you cover? Also what kind of maths comes up? And please tell me there are no physics in Biological Sciences because I did not take physics!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending