The Student Room Group

I completely FAILED my GCSEs! ADVICE?

I'll start off by saying that I have great ambitions on to becoming an Investment Banker/Manager but I have totally failed my GCSE'S.
I have quite a few work experiences including one with Brewin Dolphin and have some financial qualifications if this helps.
I got 6B's and 3 C's at one of the top performing state schools in the country.
The reason for this is because towards the end of the GCSE'S I became extremely depressed due to messed up coursework since my teachers kept leaving. However,I also think that some subjects need remarking where I think I can get better grades.
I was expected to get at least 3 A*/A/B
Luckily I scraped into getting into the sixth form and will be taking History,Economics, Accounts as my A levels.
Since I got an unexpected B at maths I won't be able to do it at school for A levels and therefore will be doing Maths and Further Maths privately.
If I do ace all these exams, I totally focus and say I get 3A* and 2A , would there be any chance at all to even get into the top 10 Uni's? and for Investment banking/Manager
I will be resitting GCSE maths and history which will be both hopefully A*
Firstly you didnt fail, be proud of your results

Are you sure maths/further maths is a good idea? Have a good think about it, as many people struggle with it. Think about your strengths and weaknesses

Did you get a B in History? I wouldnt bother retaking you should put all your energy into AS Levels AAAA at AS will get you into top unis. Then achieve your offerat A2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boss783
I'll start off by saying that I have great ambitions on to becoming an Investment Banker/Manager but I have totally failed my GCSE'S.
I have quite a few work experiences including one with Brewin Dolphin and have some financial qualifications if this helps.
I got 6B's and 3 C's at one of the top performing state schools in the country.
The reason for this is because towards the end of the GCSE'S I became extremely depressed due to messed up coursework since my teachers kept leaving. However,I also think that some subjects need remarking where I think I can get better grades.
I was expected to get at least 3 A*/A/B
Luckily I scraped into getting into the sixth form and will be taking History,Economics, Accounts as my A levels.
Since I got an unexpected B at maths I won't be able to do it at school for A levels and therefore will be doing Maths and Further Maths privately.
If I do ace all these exams, I totally focus and say I get 3A* and 2A , would there be any chance at all to even get into the top 10 Uni's? and for Investment banking/Manager
I will be resitting GCSE maths and history which will be both hopefully A*

There's many schools in the uk that accept Bs in maths and further maths at GCSE to get into sixthform/colledge and most universities/employers only look at your GCSEs if you didn't do well at Alevel or your competing against someone who got exactly the same Alevel results as you and there's limited space at the university or work place
First of all you did not fail your GCSEs! You did not fail a single subject! While you may not as done as well as you wanted it is certainly not a failure.
Secondly, unis will looks at a levels a lot more than GCSEs! Don't dwell on the past and instead now just concentrate on your a levels! These are much more important!
Btw those are actually really good results many of my friends came away with all Es at GCSE this year
Reply 5
Original post by Sophie mac
There's many schools in the uk that accept Bs in maths and further maths at GCSE to get into sixthform/colledge and most universities/employers only look at your GCSEs if you didn't do well at Alevel or your competing against someone who got exactly the same Alevel results as you and there's limited space at the university or work place

The thing is that only one school in my area offers maths at B grade and its not a very good one either.
My school is in the top 1% and so, therefore, I think that if I take maths and further privately and do the rest at school it would be better
Original post by Boss783
The thing is that only one school in my area offers maths at B grade and its not a very good one either.
My school is in the top 1% and so, therefore, I think that if I take maths and further privately and do the rest at school it would be better

Well I wouldn't bother resisting any of your exams your results seem fine and I'm also aiming to get into one of the 10 universities and my results were almost the same as yours
Reply 7
Original post by SuperHuman98
Firstly you didnt fail, be proud of your results

Are you sure maths/further maths is a good idea? Have a good think about it, as many people struggle with it. Think about your strengths and weaknesses

Did you get a B in History? I wouldnt bother retaking you should put all your energy into AS Levels AAAA at AS will get you into top unis. Then achieve your offerat A2

Yes, I'm pretty sure I can do both if not I'll just do maths. The GCSE grades were not a reflection of what I am capable of at all and so I think I can handle it. Maths should have been an A if not an A*

and no I got a C for History, I was averaging As and A* throughout the year but due to my problems I just couldn't study anymore at the time
I got an A for controlled assessment and then a B and a D in the exam
Reply 8
You did NOT fail your GCSE's. If you have medical proof of your issues you might be able to claim extrenuating circumstances?

If you get 3A*'s and 2A's you could easily get into a top 15 for Investmant Banking. The only places where you might struggle would be Oxbridge, LSE and Durham (because of the GCSE's) but apart from that of course you could get in!

Knuckle down for AS/A2 and use any frees you have to revise and make notes throughout the year and you can adult get those grades.

My college is in the top 1% and I've managed ABBB at AS without too much work (hopefully AABB after a remark) and I'm hoping for A*A*AB next year.... My GCSEs were not much better so trust me- with the work you can thrive at the college and achieve anything you want!!

GO FOR IT
You didn't even fail
I failed. You didn't 😂
about "I failed":frown: shush please. You didn't. All you need to do it is revise and work hard in your A Levels and I would advise you not to retake any subjects because you might just get some marks deducted off rather than earning more.
You really call that failure? Come on a few years later these results might not even matter

Quick Reply

Latest