The Student Room Group

Number of GCSE A*s for my friend to have a good chance of UCL

My friend really wants to study medicine at UCL. He just got his GCSE results, and did worse than expected: he got 4A*s (plus an A* in maths taken early) and I think the rest were A's. He did not get an A in OCR Additional Maths.

We're at one of the top (according to league tables) independent schools, so there is no contextual data to weigh in his favour.

I know medicine is very competitive, particularly at UCL; I also know there are many other factors, such as PS, interview, BMAT, predicted grades, etc. But what is the average number of A*s for a successful applicant and would he have a decent chance?

Please be honest. If the answer is no, then so be it.

Thanks!

EDIT: He got an A* in Biology and Physics (separate sciences) but not Chemistry (he missed out by 2 marks!). I persuaded him to remark, so the total could be 6A* if things go well...
(edited 7 years ago)
UCL has a holistic approach to their shortlisting of candidates, meaning everything will be taken into account: A low number of A*s can be made up for with a strong PS and BMAT score. So no, it isn't over yet but a lot of work is on the way next year.
Reply 2
Original post by studentsixth
UCL has a holistic approach to their shortlisting of candidates, meaning everything will be taken into account: A low number of A*s can be made up for with a strong PS and BMAT score. So no, it isn't over yet but a lot of work is on the way next year.

Thanks for the reply. I think he knows that :smile: My theory is the lower grades were a combination of bad luck (with exam questions and marking perhaps) and 'contentness'/slight arrogance (after getting predicted all A*). I think he would have been capable of more.

Do you happen to know what the average number of A*s for a successful applicant is, just to get an idea?
Reply 3
Original post by yoloman154
Thanks for the reply. I think he knows that :smile: My theory is the lower grades were a combination of bad luck (with exam questions and marking perhaps) and 'contentness'/slight arrogance (after getting predicted all A*). I think he would have been capable of more.

Do you happen to know what the average number of A*s for a successful applicant is, just to get an idea?

Anyone?
Hi, I'm applying this year. Having spoken to students, I was told you need at least 7 A*s? Maybe this was incorrect info idk. Yes, the PS and BMAT and predicted grades next year being really good would possibly get them to look at the application but I don't know if you want to take that risk?
Original post by yoloman154
My friend really wants to study medicine at UCL. He just got his GCSE results, and did worse than expected: he got 4A*s (plus an A* in maths taken early) and I think the rest were A's. He did not get an A in OCR Additional Maths.

We're at one of the top (according to league tables) independent schools, so there is no contextual data to weigh in his favour.

I know medicine is very competitive, particularly at UCL; I also know there are many other factors, such as PS, interview, BMAT, predicted grades, etc. But what is the average number of A*s for a successful applicant and would he have a decent chance?

Please be honest. If the answer is no, then so be it.

Thanks!

EDIT: He got an A* in Biology and Physics (separate sciences) but not Chemistry (he missed out by 2 marks!). I persuaded him to remark, so the total could be 6A* if things go well...

Many people don't know that UCL has a banding system in place apparently. This is based off a freedom of info request on whatdotheyonow.

Band 1 - All A* in English, science and maths subjects with half of all GCSEs being at least A* with rest A. (More than 10 GCSEs must be taken).

Band 2 - 3A* in English, maths and science and the rest A grades. 9-10 GCSEs must be taken with at least half of them being an A*.

Band 3 1-2 A* in English, maths and science subjects and the rest A grades. Overall, 7 or more GCSEs taken with grades of A* - B

Band 4 - no A* grades in English, maths and science. (If you achieve say ALL A grades at GCSE, you'd still fall into this band).

Band 5 - Mostlt below B grades at GCSE and/or 6 or less GCSEs taken without good reason.

Your friend would fall in Band 2, so he's got a good shot.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Many people don't know that UCL has a banding system in place apparently. This is based off a freedom of info request on whatdotheyonow.

Band 1 - All A* in English, science and maths subjects with half of all GCSEs being at least A* with rest A. (More than 10 GCSEs must be taken).

Band 2 - 3A* in English, maths and science and the rest A grades. 9-10 GCSEs must be taken with at least half of them being an A*.

Band 3 1-2 A* in English, maths and science subjects and the rest A grades. Overall, 7 or more GCSEs taken with grades of A* - B

Band 4 - no A* grades in English, maths and science. (If you achieve say ALL A grades at GCSE, you'd still fall into this band).

Band 5 - Mostlt below B grades at GCSE and/or 6 or less GCSEs taken without good reason.

I got 8A* and 2A. Does this mean that I would still be in band two and be less likely to get in than someone who took 11 GCSEs buy got 6A*and 5A?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

I can't see them giving people bands based on the amount of GCSE grades they've taken. I would've thought it would be unfair considering most schools only allow students to take up to 10 GCSEs and no more, some even less. The rest makes more sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending