The Student Room Group

Which font is the most/least unprofessional?

Scroll to see replies

Chinese :s-smilie:
I don't like serif fonts. A hated colleague goes to the trouble of changing our dreary email default, it is Tahoma, into Times New Roman, the silly ****.

Helvetica is nice. Calibri is okay. Absolutely the best, and not just for the name is Akzidenz Grotesk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akzidenz-Grotesk
Comic Sans.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I don't like serif fonts. A hated colleague goes to the trouble of changing our dreary email default, it is Tahoma, into Times New Roman, the silly ****.

Helvetica is nice. Calibri is okay. Absolutely the best, and not just for the name is Akzidenz Grotesk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akzidenz-Grotesk

I'm a big fan of Verdana and Calibri.
Original post by acupofgreentea
If by non-standard you mean those not available on Microsoft, there are some you can download for free. Open Sans is a favourite of mine, but it's something I saw a website use, found out what font it was and had to download it to be able to use.

Sounds like I will have to do some more research, but as long as I find one I'm sure I could download it pretty easily, so thanks! :biggrin:

Original post by acupofgreentea
Comic Sans makes me shudder. I remember I once saw a book in Waterstone's that had the reviews of other authors in Comic Sans - like ... why would you do that? Why?
I still use it from time to time, but I'm not a big fan of Calibri. It really annoys me that it's the default font for Word - when I go to a Word document, it's almost automatic for me to change the font (I'm usually a Times New Roman, Georgia or sometimes Arial dependant on what I'm writing kind of girl).

Hahaha PRSOM!!!
:wink:
Original post by ikhan94
Chinese :s-smilie:

That isn't a font :tongue:
Haters gon' hate
Original post by jneill
Comic Sans was good enough for CERN when they announced the Higgs Boson.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha
Quoting Brian Cox here , "It's entirely appropriate to present in Comic Sans "
Haha what a find :u:
Reply 28
Comic sans is kind of unprofessional but it makes whatever your writing much more nicer to read. Ariel is the pro one but it's boring and so common, that could be the reason why you choose to use it tho
Original post by stirra
Comic sans is kind of unprofessional but it makes whatever your writing much more nicer to read. Ariel is the pro one but it's boring and so common, that could be the reason why you choose to use it tho

pretty much m8 rofl :smug:
Wingdings
Reply 31
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
pretty much m8 rofl :smug:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
thanks for rep:tongue:
Original post by yoda123
Wingdings

thanks - I'll go write my PS in this font
Its das beste :tongue:
Original post by stirra
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
thanks for rep:tongue:

np :five:
Cambria headings is where it's at :wink:
It's just dawned on me, Should it be used for headings because it's my go to... :s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Questioness
Calbri headings is where it's at :wink:
It's just dawned on me, Should it be used for headings because it's my go to... :s

what be wrong with calibri body m8?
:rofl:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
what be wrong with calibri body m8?
:rofl:

It's too wide and short, basically it's just not headings...
Original post by Questioness
It's too wide and short, basically it's just not headings...

:colonhash:
I shall Monsieur, I shall

Spoiler

@Pulse.
I don't mind comic sans for academic presentations, a lot of old timers used to use an obsolete piece of technology called an OHP which projected your handwritten slides onto the wall so a legible handwritteney looking font probably seems normal.

personal favourites are the deja vu fonts which are terrific looking, slightly improved (imo) versions of arial/helvetica (sans) and times (serif) with lots of extra characters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts

one you should probably never use in public is the Mark E Smith font http://thefall.org/news/mesfont.html

Quick Reply

Latest