The Student Room Group

Exam results confusion

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I got my results on august 25th after spending a year at a hospital school due to ill health and missing a year of school before that. I received them in the post and, when looking at the 'total marks' column most said there were 100 max instead of the 60 stated on aqa website. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this - also my maths result did not even give me my marks and paper breakdown which is really iffy. Any help would be appreciated.
Your results were in UMS marks not raw marks! So the AQA papers were 60 raw marks which is 100 UMS. If you did Edexcel maths, they never give your mark at GCSE - just the grade (no clue why).
Original post by Lobradovic
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I got my results on august 25th after spending a year at a hospital school due to ill health and missing a year of school before that. I received them in the post and, when looking at the 'total marks' column most said there were 100 max instead of the 60 stated on aqa website. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this - also my maths result did not even give me my marks and paper breakdown which is really iffy. Any help would be appreciated.

Every raw mark is converted into a UMS mark. So for the AQA sciences, the paper is out of 60 raw marks, but these raw marks are converted into UMS marks out of 100 for each paper/unit. For the sciences it's like 90 = A* 80 = A 70 = B etc...

I also didn't get a breakdown of my Maths grade which is a bit annoying! Although I'm over the moon with my Maths I got an A so it wasn't a problem. You can get in contact with your Maths head of department or exams officer for your breakdown if you need/want it :smile:

Hope your results went well and congratulations!
Reply 3
Thanks for the speedy replies - the UMS thing is what i expected (although my art is out of 120 and 180 for units 1 and 2 which is really odd) i was just confused as the UMS specific column on the table was blank with the specific 'marks' column with the UMS points instead (but coming from a small school the results letter itself is different from the ones received across the country). Thanks again, really hope you got the results you wanted x

Quick Reply

Latest