The Student Room Group

11 A*... What now?

Okaay so this was totally unexpected!! I was predicted a B/A for English Language, A in RS and A* for the rest... I was so scared and praying for at least 8 A* cuz I want to be a doctor! Instead, I got 11 A*! I am the first person with these results in at least three years in my school, and these are the best results in my year group! I still want to do Medicine, of course; my A Levels are Chem, Bio, Maths, and History.
Could I get into Oxford with these? This is so totally unexpected. I am ecstatic, of course!
Will be doing work experience in Russia in a morgue this autumn. I think I would also organise like an expedition across the Himalayas. I am prepared to read and work TONS.
Any advice/opinions?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANNEYAYA

Could I get into Oxford with these?

What do you think? :tongue:
Oh wow, congratulations!

I always say, do what you love

“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett

Yes ofcourse those grades give a very strong application for medicine, but there are other great careers as well!!
From what I've been reading, I've gathered this advice from many sources - people who do exceptionally well at GCSE sometimes fall flat on their face at A-Level. This is because of the different teaching and learning styles that take place at 6th form, student's overconfidence dragging them down, or the fact that some students don't take the advice of revising hard at home from day 1, until it's too late. My advice to you is to try and avoid doing this, and quickly learn to adapt to A-Levels. Don't use your amazing GCSE results as an excuse not to study at home or do extra work, and don't feel embarrassed to ask someone for help. Also don't be surprised if you initially get low grades to start with, or is people succeed you in grades.

If you can follow this advice, then you will get the grades you need for Oxford.
I got similar grades to you at GCSE and I wanted to be a doctor, first of all congratulations but please don't expect to do the same at A level, I'm not saying you won't but as mentioned above some people get over confident at a level due to their amazing GCSE and don't do so well at a level. For example despite studying hard I got fairly mediocre AS levels at AABC (chem,biology,maths and rs). So prepare for a lot of hard work !
Could I get into Oxford with these?

There are a lot of factors that go into that (such as your BMAT score and interview performance) but at least from a GCSE perspective, you've put yourself in a strong position. Approximately a third of people with 11 A*s at GCSE get in to Oxford medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by Chloe85
That's incredible, and will boost your application to Oxford greatly. Unfortunately my GCSEs weren't as strong (9A*s, an A, and a B) so I'm looking to apply to Cambridge instead, which is less GCSE heavy

Oh God, I hope it will! But gotta remember the BMAT/UKCAT and the actual A Levels too:biggrin::smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
There are a lot of factors that go into that (such as your BMAT score and interview performance) but at least from a GCSE perspective, you've put yourself in a strong position. Approximately a third of people with 11 A*s at GCSE get in to Oxford medicine.

Well, as far as academics are concerned, I hope I'll be okay. My people skills need improving though...:u::smile:
Reply 8
Original post by momoneyme89
Oh wow, congratulations!

I always say, do what you love

“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett

Yes ofcourse those grades give a very strong application for medicine, but there are other great careers as well!!

Thank you for your kind words! I am hell-bent on getting the career I want.
Reply 9
You CAN apply for Oxford but there's the UKCAT/BMAT to do and you still need an exceptional PS. My mum knows someone who's son was rejected from Ox Med- he had 14A*s and 4A*s at A2
Reply 10
Okaay so this was totally unexpected!! I was predicted a B/A for English Language, A in RS and A* for the rest... I was so scared and praying for at least 8 A* cuz I want to be a doctor! Instead, I got 11 A*! I am the first person with these results in at least three years in my school, and these are the best results in my year group! I still want to do Medicine, of course; my A Levels are Chem, Bio, Maths, and History.
Could I get into Oxford with these? This is so totally unexpected. I am ecstatic, of course!
Will be doing work experience in Russia in a morgue this autumn. I think I would also organise like an expedition across the Himalayas. I am prepared to read and work TONS.
Any advice/opinions?

You don't say.
Reply 11
Original post by crminshaw
From what I've been reading, I've gathered this advice from many sources - people who do exceptionally well at GCSE sometimes fall flat on their face at A-Level. This is because of the different teaching and learning styles that take place at 6th form, student's overconfidence dragging them down, or the fact that some students don't take the advice of revising hard at home from day 1, until it's too late. My advice to you is to try and avoid doing this, and quickly learn to adapt to A-Levels. Don't use your amazing GCSE results as an excuse not to study at home or do extra work, and don't feel embarrassed to ask someone for help. Also don't be surprised if you initially get low grades to start with, or is people succeed you in grades.

If you can follow this advice, then you will get the grades you need for Oxford.

To be honest, at first I got kinda sad after reading your response, but now I realise how useful and constructive it is.
I will devote as much of my time as is healthy to working on things I don't understand - doing past papers, getting help from teachers and other students, homework, preparation, whatever is needed.
I am fully aware A Levels are a massive step up from IGCSE - but I hope I can handle this as I am quite an independent learner anyway. Most of my teachers were really not that good, to be honest. English isn't even my mother tongue - I'm actually from Russia, and made massive academic improvements after only getting an average of 36% in the Year 9 Exams.
I am ready to ask other students for help.
Thank you for bringing me back to earth a bit, I love a realistic outlook on the situation. Can't wait until the term starts!
Original post by ameehannah
I got similar grades to you at GCSE and I wanted to be a doctor, first of all congratulations but please don't expect to do the same at A level, I'm not saying you won't but as mentioned above some people get over confident at a level due to their amazing GCSE and don't do so well at a level. For example despite studying hard I got fairly mediocre AS levels at AABC (chem,biology,maths and rs). So prepare for a lot of hard work !

Lol those AS grades aren't mediocore o_0
Reply 13
If you are interested, why not take a look at the dedicated threads for prospective Oxbridge applicants for 2018 entry (our year)?! Oxford: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4282340

Cambridge:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165
Original post by _wsburn
9A*s, an A and B are not going to hold you back in an Oxford application.
The application process is holistic and takes far more factors into account.
Also, I think there needs to be a better sense of perspective as they are terrific GCSE results and it is just feeding a misconception that you need 10+A*s. I think the average number of A*s for a Oxbridge student is 7A*s- but this is NO magic number.

Actually, that is false and it really isn't a misconception! The average A* number is 10.4 according to their website for offer holders for medicine! And yes, she would be better off applying to Cambridge as her percentage A*s is 81%, good but it would mean she'd need a hell of a good BMAT score to secure her an interview which is risky. Cambridge will be a much safer choice. And no it isn't holistic, to get an interview it is solely based on the BMAT/GCSE combo and/or extentuating circumstances. After the interview stages, everything is then taken into account. I personally wouldn't recommend anyone apply to Oxford with less than 9A*s or 90% A*s unless extentuating circumstances (like you could only take 8 GCSEs or something) as the BMAT score needed would be almost impossible to get.

Hi there. Oxford love a lot of A*s at GCSE. 11A*s is great because they balance your GCSEs out with your BMAT score. Generally, the lower the percentage of A*s you get, the higher your BMAT score needs to be. You should easily get an interview with 5.7ish in your BMAT. Just remember that AS is not the same as GCSEs so please don't get complacent as bad AS grades will put your currently strong academics into a weaker perspective! Also, don't take the BMAT lightly as a bad score or a bad day could stop you from getting an interview. Basically, it's great that you've got 11A*s but it won't guarantee you an interview. More hard work is to come!

On a side note, just because less than 9A*s would put you at a disadvantage doesn't mean you can't get an interview or even an offer. You'd just be placing a huge bet on the BMAT going well which has always been unpredictable.

For more medical statistics for Oxford: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSEs aren't really relevant. I think they mainly take into account the results of their entry tests. GCSEs being secondary to both admissions tests and A-level results and or predictions.
Original post by Xenon17
GCSEs aren't really relevant. I think they mainly take into account the results of their entry tests. GCSEs being secondary to both admissions tests and A-level results and or predictions.

GCSEs are incredibly relevant. Predicted grades are secondary (as long as you meet the minimum requirement).
Any advice/opinions?

Hey, I got 11A*s and 2As at GCSE, and school was never hard for me until year 12. I took 5 subjects this year and started off getting Cs and Ds which really knocked my confidence. After ridiculous amounts of extra work, revision and time I got 5As at AS and am applying to Oxford this October. It will be a huge slog but don't be discouraged and work through it, you will be fine! Especially seen as you have done that well in the context of your school, they will rank you highly, as I spoke to an admissions tutor at the open day who said that is how they do it. Make sure you have other clinical work experience and volunteering as well, I'm sure you know that already - and alongside your year 12 work make sure you pick up some medical books from the library or a bookshop and keep reading around the subject because Oxbridge are very heavy on that as well! Good luck!
Original post by studentsixth
GCSEs are incredibly relevant. Predicted grades are secondary (as long as you meet the minimum requirement).

Lmao GCSEs would never come before A-levels when applying to university. I don't even think Leeds Beckett would do that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okaay so this was totally unexpected!! I was predicted a B/A for English Language, A in RS and A* for the rest... I was so scared and praying for at least 8 A* cuz I want to be a doctor! Instead, I got 11 A*! I am the first person with these results in at least three years in my school, and these are the best results in my year group! I still want to do Medicine, of course; my A Levels are Chem, Bio, Maths, and History.Could I get into Oxford with these? This is so totally unexpected. I am ecstatic, of course!Will be doing work experience in Russia in a morgue this autumn. I think I would also organise like an expedition across the Himalayas. I am prepared to read and work TONS.Any advice/opinions?

Original post by studentsixth

GCSEs are relevant but not critical. However, since most of AS level was removed they may be a bit more important now. I applied (and succeeded in getting into) Cam Maths this year and suspect the interview, AS level UMS and predicted grades were the most important things - followed by the personal statement and GCSEs. (For you it'll be any additional tests you take before the interview as well.)

For medicine your personal statement will likely be a lot more important (as it lets them know the work experience etc that is extremely important for medicine).

Don't think you'll get into Oxford (especially for medicine) based on your GCSEs, it's put you in a good position but there's so many very difficult things left to do - some of which I feel, and suspect the admissions people do too, are more important than GCSE level.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending