The Student Room Group

What is considered an underpeforming school at GCSE?

how do we decide whether a college is underperforming? Is it based on GCSE success rate? If so what is the threshold?
Original post by Someboady
how do we decide whether a college is underperforming? Is it based on GCSE success rate? If so what is the threshold?

It used to be the percentage of students who got 5 A* - C that was good indicator of whether a school was underperforming but now it's more focused on the 'Progress 8 Score' which is calculated based on a student's GCSE target grades from primary school and whether they have been met by the end of year 11, and then averaged out over the whole school.
Reply 2
Original post by meandegreen
It used to be the percentage of students who got 5 A* - C that was good indicator of whether a school was underperforming but now it's more focused on the 'Progress 8 Score' which is calculated based on a student's GCSE target grades from primary school and whether they have been met by the end of year 11, and then averaged out over the whole school.

I see thanks, so what's considered the threshold score for progress 8?
Reply 3
Original post by meandegreen

Also, is a 49% success rate at GCSE considered poor?
Original post by Someboady
I see thanks, so what's considered the threshold score for progress 8?

Well I don't think my school is the best out there but I do think we are better than a lot - Progress 8 is 0.42, I have also found out that this number can be a minus number which is not good, and it also can be over 1 which makes the school exempt from ofsted inspections.

49% does sound pretty low, I think the national average is somewhere in the mid 60% range. But i'm sure there are schools that are lower.
(edited 7 years ago)
My high school is really bad, they're under special measures and also only 37% of them got 5 GCSEs. Last year my year group managed 40 something %.

Quick Reply

Latest