The Student Room Group

Does anyone know any good hip-hop/ r'n'b music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I-Hate-Edexcel
Lowkey can do Grime as mentioned in his FITB. Giggs in terms of challenging as a Rapper. Dizzees gone now tbh. Dont listen to Kano much. :smile:

Lowkey isn't Grime, whether he's dabbled in it or not. There are plenty of examples of Grime MCs making music outside of Grime but they're still considered Grime MCs because that is predominantly what they make. I agree Dizzee has fallen off and probably got bored with everything but when he can be bothered, he is still one of the best.

How come you don't listen to Kano?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Firstly, that's one track. It doesn't make him a Grime artist, Lowkey is Hip-Hop. And secondly Petrol Bomb isn't even a Grime instrumental. Just because Dot Rotten produced it, it doesn't make it a Grime instrumental. Rotten has made plenty of Hip-Hop himself and openly admits he brought a Hip-Hop style to Grime.

Ok lets forget the genre for a minute. If the lyrics are dead, the track will be dead overall. In terms of Lyrics Chip and Lowkey are pure fire which is why I like them. People like Bugzy Malone have good tunes but dead lyrics IMO once again. Bugzys FITB was amazing but apart from that :s-smilie:. I really hope none of you rate Tine though :frown:
Ok lets forget the genre for a minute. If the lyrics are dead, the track will be dead overall. In terms of Lyrics Chip and Lowkey are pure fire which is why I like them. People like Bugzy Malone have good tunes but dead lyrics IMO once again. Bugzys FITB was amazing but apart from that :s-smilie:. I really hope none of you rate Tine though :frown:

Alright but that's not really the discussion we started off with. I will accept Lowkey is a good writer.

I don't rate Tinie. My favourite MCs are Dizzee & Wiley. Trim is up there but he is too inconsistent. Kano has made too much bad music but is doing well at the moment and the same goes for Skepta. I liked Crazy Titch a lot too.
Lowkey isn't Grime, whether he's dabbled in it or not. There are plenty of examples of Grime MCs making music outside of Grime but they're still considered Grime MCs because that is predominantly what they make. I agree Dizzee has fallen off and probably got bored with everything but when he can be bothered, he is still one of the best.

How come you don't listen to Kano?

Just never listened to him much after all the beef came about. I'll start listening to him a bit more see how good he is :biggrin:
Alright but that's not really the discussion we started off with. I will accept Lowkey is a good writer.

I don't rate Tinie. My favourite MCs are Dizzee & Wiley. Trim is up there but he is too inconsistent. Kano has made too much bad music but is doing well at the moment and the same goes for Skepta. I liked Crazy Titch a lot too.

Im just saying I prefer people who spit about something real and not just make up nonsense as they go along. Crazy Titch was a madman lol.
Yeah, but what about that little ting between Skepta and Wiley?
'You just wanna stay in your house, your very big house in the countrayyyyy'

This also reminds me of the Devlin v Wiley diss he did ages ago.
mate, its still interesting seeing peoples opinion on various grime artists
Original post by Imjustaloner
mate, its still interesting seeing peoples opinion on various grime artists

I'd say that the biggest face in grime is definitely Big Narstie. He's one of the few people who isn't ashamed of being who he is; it's just a shame people overlook him because of his size and stuff.

His part in this track they released this month is probably my favourite of all of his stuff:
https://youtu.be/NJXyRmbZksg

Also, K Koke & Ganghis Khan AKA 'Camoflauge' did a cross continental banger of a collaboration, which is a rarity. Fancy a listen?
https://youtu.be/wTuIARhaNCc
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Firstly, that's one track. It doesn't make him a Grime artist, Lowkey is Hip-Hop. And secondly Petrol Bomb isn't even a Grime instrumental. Just because Dot Rotten produced it, it doesn't make it a Grime instrumental. Rotten has made plenty of Hip-Hop himself and openly admits he brought a Hip-Hop style to Grime.

I know he's hip hop, but the track shows that he can do grime. It might not be a grime instrumental but Lowkey still killed it.
Reply 49
Original post by Fly.RK_
I listen to R&B of the 2000's, only as they were the best times for music. Ne-Yo's ''Closer'', Akon's ''Dangerous'' Usher's ''Yeah''. Ja rule's ''Mesmerise''.

I never got into Ne-Yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Any specific songs you guys can suggest, including grim, rap hip/hop?

I'm not into grime, so I'll recommend a few raps.

If you're into meaningful lyrics:
Slaughterhouse - Goodbye (I'm nearly in tears everytime)
Crooked I - Nobody Cares
Watsky - Sloppy Seconds
Yelawolf & Eminem - Best Friend
Etc

If you're into complexity:
Crooked I - Crook n Porter
Slaughterhouse - Hammer Dance
Anything from the Southpaw soundtrack
Watsky & Karmin - No Flex Zone
Tech N9ne - Am I A Psycho?
Tech N9ne - Speedom
Tech N9ne - Speed Of Sound
Horseshoe Gang - Drum Murder
Etc

And if you're feeling a bit more chilled out hip hop, look at Hoodie Allen; although he's moving more towards pop now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14
I know he's hip hop, but the track shows that he can do grime. It might not be a grime instrumental but Lowkey still killed it.

How does it show he can 'do' Grime when you admit yourself it isn't a Grime instrumental? Whether he killed it or not is irrelevant - the beat is Hip-Hop.
How does it show he can 'do' Grime when you admit yourself it isn't a Grime instrumental? Whether he killed it or not is irrelevant - the beat is Hip-Hop.

What do you have against Lowkey lol? It was a suggestion anyway . And if im not wrong the person who made this thread did ask for 'Hip-hop/r' n 'b'.
What do you have against Lowkey lol? It was a suggestion anyway . And if im not wrong the person who made this thread did ask for 'Hip-hop/r' n 'b'.

yes but this is what you said:

Best 'Grime' Act out there is Chip IMO lol before I start any riot. If your experimenting give Dappy a try. Songs like Beautiful me and Hip Hip Hooray are bangers :biggrin:
Lyrics wise I do think he is the best. Shame Lowkey took a break but at least he's back. Only people that come close IMO are GIggs, Skepta and Wiley. Dappys lyrics are really good but he has hit a downward slump unfortunately. :h:

You implied Lowkey is Grime. He isn't and that track that got posted isn't Grime. You are doing that thing where people class all British people who rap as Grime artists.

This is what Grime sounds like mate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku7kqDPoUYo
Try Run the Jewels, quite a lot of people who don't regularly listen to hip-hop really like them.
Reply 55
Listen to BLACKBEAR!!! Not sure if he falls into hip hop but youll like him anyway y
Original post by PotAuFeu
Try Run the Jewels, quite a lot of people who don't regularly listen to hip-hop really like them.

yo good shout fam, appreciate that, damn the beats and the flow
yo good shout fam, appreciate that, damn the beats and the flow

wtf it was me who recommended them :mad:
yes but this is what you said:

You implied Lowkey is Grime. He isn't and that track that got posted isn't Grime. You are doing that thing where people class all British people who rap as Grime artists.

This is what Grime sounds like mate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku7kqDPoUYo

No youre doing that thing people call assuming. I was talking about Lyrics....didnt mention Lowkey and Grime at the same time there. He can do Grime even if it isnt his main. Thats like saying just because I do Maths, I cant do science.
No youre doing that thing people call assuming. I was talking about Lyrics....didnt mention Lowkey and Grime at the same time there. He can do Grime even if it isnt his main. Thats like saying just because I do Maths, I cant do science.

You implied it with the way you worded your posts. Please post an example of Lowkey on Grime.

Quick Reply

Latest