The Student Room Group

Application advice

Hey everyone.i did my ukcat today and I wasguttedwith my score. I got 600 avg and a Band 2 in the SJT. My other stats are;
7As in National 5 Accounting, Geography,Modern Studies,biology,german, Chemistry, maths and a B in National 5
English.
In my highers I got 4As in Maths,Chemistry, Biology and Geography and a B in Modern Studies.
In S6 I got A in Advanced Higher Biology, B in Advanced Higher Chemistry and a A in Higher Psychology.
I wondering what people think i should do. whether i still apply to the scottish unis. take up my neuroscience offer. or take a second gap year. andy advice is much appreciated.
I'm really sorry that your UKCAT wasn't as good as you had hoped :frown: as you probably know, that's probably not a good enough score for (most? not sure about all) Scottish unis. You should look at this document about how unis in the UK use the UKCAT: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf

You could do the BMAT too, if you're considering unis outside Scotland.

Whether to take another gap year or to go study neuroscience... It's up to you, really. How much do you want to study medicine? Do you think you'd be happy as a neuroscientist? Do you think you could improve your application enough to get into medicine? Dreams are worth pursuing, but sometimes you just need to admit that your life is going to another direction than you had planned, and that can be ok. Good luck whatever you end up choosing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by StationToStation
I'm really sorry that your UKCAT wasn't as good as you had hoped :frown: as you probably know, that's probably not a good enough score for (most? not sure about all) Scottish unis. You should look at this document about how unis in the UK use the UKCAT: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf

You could do the BMAT too, if you're considering unis outside Scotland.

Whether to take another gap year or to go study neuroscience... It's up to you, really. How much do you want to study medicine? Do you think you'd be happy as a neuroscientist? Do you think you could improve your application enough to get into medicine? Dreams are worth pursuing, but sometimes you just need to admit that your life is going to another direction than you had planned, and that can be ok. Good luck whatever you end up choosing :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I really want to study medicine, but unfortunately because I got a B in advanced higher chemistry I can't apply to English unis, so I am restricted to the 4 scottish medical (really 3 because I don't have a chance with Edinburgh), if I could get a higher ukcat e.g.above 680 then i'd have a chance with these 3 unis, but its a massive IF
Reply 3
Hi guys. I've on my gap year and i've just taken my ukcat and screwed it up again. I wondering what your opinion is on taking 2 gap years, do you know anyone who has taken 2 gap years before, does anyone know what medical school's opinions are on taking 2 gap years. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by PND98
Hi guys. I've on my gap year and i've just taken my ukcat and screwed it up again. I wondering what your opinion is on taking 2 gap years, do you know anyone who has taken 2 gap years before, does anyone know what medical school's opinions are on taking 2 gap years. Any advice would be much appreciated.

What are your grades and what did you get on the ukcat?
There is no harm in applying in your current gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PND98

Additionally, I've known people who have taken 2,3 and 4 gap years
So don't worry, you are not the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bloom77
Additionally, I've known people who have taken 2,3 and 4 gap years
So don't worry, you are not the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile

My grades are 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and a B in Modern Studies in Scottish Highers at the end of S5. I have also attained 7As in Intermediate 2 Mathematics, Intermediate 2 Accounting, National 5 Biology, National 5 Chemistry, National 5 Modern Studies, National 5 German, National 5 Geography and a B in National 5 English. After completing my S6 exams, I attained 2As in Advanced Higher Biology and Higher Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Chemistry. I got 600 avg in my ukcat and band 2 in sjt
I know a lot of people who are doing two gap years! As long as you can credit your time away and say that you have gained a lot of experience and life skills, you will be able to justify doing it. Try volunteering for a few months or teaching English in a foreign country. Things like that really intrigue a university and it will be good to chat about it at any interviews!
Reply 8
Original post by hattie_creese
I know a lot of people who are doing two gap years! As long as you can credit your time away and say that you have gained a lot of experience and life skills, you will be able to justify doing it. Try volunteering for a few months or teaching English in a foreign country. Things like that really intrigue a university and it will be good to chat about it at any interviews!

okay great. Thanks for your help!
Original post by PND98
My grades are 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and a B in Modern Studies in Scottish Highers at the end of S5. I have also attained 7As in Intermediate 2 Mathematics, Intermediate 2 Accounting, National 5 Biology, National 5 Chemistry, National 5 Modern Studies, National 5 German, National 5 Geography and a B in National 5 English. After completing my S6 exams, I attained 2As in Advanced Higher Biology and Higher Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Chemistry. I got 600 avg in my ukcat and band 2 in sjt

You can still apply!!!
Apply to the foundation courses, and have you tried doing BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Bloom77
You can still apply!!!
Apply to the foundation courses, and have you tried doing BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is no point of me doing BMAT because i got a B in advanced higher chemistry, so i wouldn't meet the requirements of the bmat unis. what unis do foundation courses?
Original post by PND98
there is no point of me doing BMAT because i got a B in advanced higher chemistry, so i wouldn't meet the requirements of the bmat unis. what unis do foundation courses?

You'll deffo get in with foundation if u pass the interview
Just make sure ur personal statement is smashing

Apply to:
Kings college extended medical programme

Southampton BM6

Nottingham 6 year programme

Other universities do it too, I can't name them on the top of my head

Just make sure u meet the requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Bloom77
You'll deffo get in with foundation if u pass the interview
Just make sure ur personal statement is smashing

Apply to:
Kings college extended medical programme

Southampton BM6

Nottingham 6 year programme

Other universities do it too, I can't name them on the top of my head

Just make sure u meet the requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont think i am eligible for foundation because i'm not from a disadvantaged programme
Original post by PND98
i dont think i am eligible for foundation because i'm not from a disadvantaged programme

For the Kings programme
I don't think you have to be disadvantaged
Check the requirements if ur eligible
Otherwise u may take a second gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending